Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Remington Rings

Options
  • 21-07-2015 3:09pm
    Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Hoping someone out there can help.

I recently got the go ahead (grant) for a Remington R-15. I stuck a set of rings on it over the weekend on a "loaner" scope. While the scope won't be staying on the rifle (changing to a 56mm objective/30mm tube scope) i noticed that due to the design of the Remington the action/stock is basically a straight line. No "drop" in the stock as it comes off the back of the action.

For that reason i found that even high rings on the "loaner" scope meant i had to push down hard into the butt stock or turn my head partially side ways to get a clear sight picture. If i don't keep this exact head position (which i not natural and feels wrong) my POI shifts due to my POA/line of sight being different.

I'm thinking with the higher centreline of the 56mm (objective) scope the fraction i'm out for clear sight picture will not be an issue.

So has anyone out there any suggestions, recommendations or experience with these and if so what rings (height specifically) did you go for.

TIA.

• Current "loaner" scope is a Tasco 4-16*42 on high rings.
    • Scope i'm collecting in the next day or so is Hawke Sidewinder 30 6-24*56 with high rings.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

Moderators - Cass otmmyboy2 , CatMod - Shamboc , Admins - Beasty , mickeroo

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,428 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

No help with the rings but congrats on the gun.

Edit, could you not put a riser block on the receiver rail and then put your mounts on that for some extra height.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 28,456 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cass

Never used them before so never thought of them.

Managed to collect the scope today and got a set of very high Warne rings. Going to try them. If they fail to give me the sight picture clarity i need then i'll definitely have to go the riser block route.

Thanks.
    Forum Charter - Useful Information - Photo thread: Hardware - Ranges by County - Hunting Laws/Important threads - Upcoming Events - RFDs by County

If you see a problem post use the report post function. Click on the three dots on the post, select "FLAG" & let a Moderator deal with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 451 ✭✭FISMA.

Cass,
    Congratulations on the R-15, will be a nice piece of kit.

Most of the R-15's I have seen, which are few, have either very high rings (with peep sights) or a one piece attachment with integrated rings that goes on the receiver's picatinny rail.

Have you a rough calculation for the height of rings needed?

What about a riser? - A Picatinny mount that goes on a Picatinny base!

FISMA. wrote: »
    Have you a rough calculation for the height of rings needed?
    Kinda.

The set i have on it were only temporary but at 26mm from the top of the picatinny rail to the centre of the scope i found to be too low. Now the scope is only a 25mm tube with 42 mm objective lens so not too high itself. IOW low rings and low enough centreline of the scope (not that i think that will be o much use)

The rings i got today are Warne which are 33mm from top of picatinny to centre of ring/centrline of scope. That is a 7mm (touch over 1/4 inch) higher which given the much larger optical lens of the scope should allow me to more eaily if not perfectly get the clear site picture i need.
    What about a riser? - A Picatinny mount that goes on a Picatinny base!
    Never even thought of risers until Strider recommended them above. They will definitely be a route i'll have to go if the Warne improve, but don't fix the issue.

Won't know till Saturday although i'm dying to know if they work or not so may end up going over earlier to mount the scope and find out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭German pointer

I got a quick glance a the rifle on the range last Saturday and its a lovely looking bit of kit
    Well ware

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭yubabill1

Wish you well with the Remy, Cass.

Hopefully, this heralds an end to the WG proposals.

I got a quick glance a the rifle on the range last Saturday and its a lovely looking bit of kit
    Well ware
    Sorry about the brass dude, but in fairness you got me back with that fecking cannon. :D

The Tikka was running well. Looks the bizz in the GRS stock. "Mean" looking rifle. :cool:

Advertisement