Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pictures, pictures, pictures!

12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 336 ✭✭bazery

mdfire wrote: »
    I changed to an atv2 which is jailbroken and has firecore atv flash installed. No Hd audio but i can live with that as i still have the bluray player.

I do have access to the rear of the rack via an access hatch in another room. Toying with the idea of expanding into this room:D

How do you find the atv 2, I'm thinking of upgrading, I'm using an ac ryan playon mini. its very slow but plays everything. would you consider upgrading to at3 or is atv 2 plenty?

• Registered Users Posts: 16 damke_1

all due respect to the smart investments, now i am asking myself why didn't i come up with the idea to use a projector , grr. well I do NOW, Ritz i love the setup you put together but wouldn't it be a better thing to raise the speakers up? like to be in line with seating position?

i will have to get me a decent surround system first i sold my old Yamaha and now i am looking for a new one, in your opinion people would it be better to buy a good surround sys or do i make my own? i would also have to see if it would be possible to use some surface and projector to turn 2D movies in 3D.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Your post probably could be worthy of a thread on its own. I would answer to build your own, and include a projector, but that is a big budget for one go.
    I use a wall as a screen and 3d is fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭deano59

Mossym - that setup is amazing - I would love a setup like this - what make is your speaker set and amplifier?

I want to know where you got the unit mossy. Looking for an upgrade!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,766 Mod ✭✭✭✭mossym

deano59 wrote: »
    Mossym - that setup is amazing - I would love a setup like this - what make is your speaker set and amplifier?

Speakers are b&w 803. Driven by a marantz processor and rotel power amp.

bazery wrote: »
    I want to know where you got the unit mossy. Looking for an upgrade!

Custom built to my own design. Couldn't find anything like it on the market so designed my own and had it made up. Every panel you see opens up for storage. The long one on the bottom swivels down as one solid piece. The other open down as well, makes getting at the back of gear much easier.

What wood is it. Gorgeous unit

Hi - what screen is that - would you recommend it and where did you buy it - thanks!

bazery wrote: »
    What wood is it. Gorgeous unit

Love to say it's real walnut but the cost would have been 4x. It's a walnut stain on some other wood, not sure what

• Advertisement

Hi - what screen is that - would you recommend it and where did you buy it - thanks!

It's a carada screen, their higher range model. Bought direct from them. High recommended, but would want to be, it's not a cheap screen.

Hi - Carada seem to be based in the states according to their website - did you have to buy it from the states and put it together yourself?

Yes. I lived in the states at the time

Hi - did you buy it ready made or did you have to put it together yourself? If you had to put it together yourself was it easy to do? I am afraid that If I have to put a fixed screen together I might make a mistake and end up with a ripple on the screen.

You put it together yourself. The frame is solid so you can't go wrong there. The screen clips on to the frame then so no fear of ripples

what gain does your screen have? I am thinking of getting a fixed screen with 0.89 gain and my projector - Epson EH-TW6100 has 2300 lumens - I read a screen should have a gain of 1-3 - do you think 0.89 is close enough? What size is your screen?

Screen is 118". Gain is dependent on a lot of factors, amount of light control in room, distance of projector from screen, what the main use is, time of day. Something might work well for movies at night, and fail miserably for daytime kid TV use . Not sure what mine is. Would have to go back and look.

I am thinking of getting a 100" or 120" screen. How big is your room - mine is 18 foot by 15foot 3 inches. I think I could get away with a 120 as long as everyone is sitting no closer than 13.5 feet.

How far away do you sit from the screen?

Thanks

Screen is 110 inch. Room could have taken bigger, but you don't want speakers too far apart or you lose imaging.

My room is bigger think it's 17 ft *24 ft roughly. Sit 12 ft back or so.

Don't prioritise size at the expense of everything else. Too big will kill sound, and image brightness. Have seen some that went as big as possible and they just didn't work

That sounds like solid advice - thank you so much for all your help and patience.

• Advertisement

I am at the stage now where I need to choose paint for the room - what paint did you use on the side walls? Is that black paint around the screen and finally what paint did you put on the ceiling. Are you happy with the colours do they help or hinder the cinema experience?

Thanks

I am at the stage now where I need to choose paint for the room - what paint did you use on the side walls? Is that black paint around the screen and finally what paint did you put on the ceiling. Are you happy with the colours do they help or hinder the cinema experience?

Thanks

the colours were specifically chosen to enhance the experience, not hinder. you don;t want a bright wall as your eyes see the bright wall, even in total darkness, and it frames the screen making it appear smaller. you want a dark wall so the screen is the only point of brightness, keeping your eyes focuses on it

my wall isn;t black, it's a dark chocolate tone, no point giving you the exact name as it's not available any more

Hi Mossym - I am getting there with my build - quick question:

I notice in your home cinema the Band of Brothers poster is close enough to your screen - do you have any problems with reflections from it? Has it got glass or plastic over it?

Thanks

Hi Mossym - I am getting there with my build - quick question:

I notice in your home cinema the Band of Brothers poster is close enough to your screen - do you have any problems with reflections from it? Has it got glass or plastic over it?

Thanks

had them custom framed with non reflective glass with that exact problem in mind. no reflections now because of this.

They are also not a standard glossy poster. they're a canvas type paper, much heavier, and almost a paint like finish. helps with the reflections as well, although not much of an issue with the special glass

Thanks Mossym - you think of everything!

Did you get your posters on the internet and do you have a link? Where did you get the posters framed?

think the posters came from moviegoods. cannot find a record of the purchase now. not all the posters were the heavier type though.

any good framer will be able to put them in non reflective glass. it'll cost though as they're custom frames.

Thanks - great advice!

Hi

My room is 18 foot long and 13.5 foot wide. I will have curtains with blackout on 2 windows. I will have 2 fabric recliners and a fabric 2 seater. I will carpet with underlay - you won't sink into the carpet though as I have underground heating - its a solid floor. Will I be okay acoustically do you think? If not - do you have any suggestions or is there anything that you did to improve acoustics?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭LenWoods

Responding to the first post of this th;
    I've took some time to plan everything prior to installing four televisions seamlessly to the walls of my home with floating box's purchased from Ebay; flush mounted to the ceiling in two of three bedrooms containing satellite feed virgin media feed and terrestrial aswell as CAT7 network cables,
    The televisions in the bedrooms are also on time clkcks plugged in inside the attic space to save power aswell as prevent some of the viewers from staying up too late during the week days,
    The viewing boxes remain live 24/7 to record anything planned.

I've documented everything here I'll be updating the relevant sections in the future as progress continues;
    Some people may find this thread of interest the television part begins on page 02
    Thanks for reading:
    https://www.fordownersclub.com/forums/topic/80864-living-room-project/

• Advertisement
Advertisement