Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Areas of Galway [moving to the city]

Options
  • 14-04-2014 9:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi everyone!

We would like to move to Galway from Belgium.

I wonder about the neighborhoods and suburbs of Galway. There were many mentioned on this forum and I was wondering if someone would be so kind to give an overview of the different places in and around Galway? (For example, how the schools are in that area, the renting prices, general "vibe"...)

We are looking for a nice, quiet place for a family with two toddlers. My husband does not drive, so we cant live too far from busses, as he will be looking for a job in the city. We love the country living, but that definitely puts a limit on the possibilities.

Thank you!!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smetana

Oh! And one more important question; is it generally easy to find something to rent where you are allowed to bring your (small) dog?

• Registered Users Posts: 9 HBNH86

I would advise looking for somewhere like Craughwell or Clarinbridge - there will be buses running into the city from both. They are a little outside the City maybe 15km/20km but both would be more reasonable and nicer to bring up a family in. Both have nice amenities also. The other side of the city you would possibly look at Barna (although a bit more expensive because of the seaside scenery) or possibly the likes of Moycullen and/or a little further Oughterard.

My advice would be moving outside the city but there are still plenty of nice houses you can get where you can rear your family but it will be a little busier of course. Maybe have a look at Knocknacarra also. It's a nice area.

Hope this helps and best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Oranmore is a bit more accessible for buses and amenities. Can't comment on house prices though, only that I grew up there, and think it's a nice town.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 smetana

Thank you so much guys!

I would not have thought of looking that far out of town, so thank you for the suggestions!

We will see where my husband will find a job, and then see what side will be the easiest. I am a psychologist, so I can open a practice on either side, or even at home if we find something appropriate.

Would you say that the city itself is somewhat too expensive and/or too busy for a family? We used to live in Gent. We missed the green and any garden, but could move around by foot everywhere :D But then, in Belgium there is almost no green left, let alone in a city!

• Registered Users Posts: 25,669 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

HBNH86 wrote: »
    I would advise looking for somewhere like Craughwell or Clarinbridge - there will be buses running into the city from both. They are a little outside the City maybe 15km/20km but both would be more reasonable and nicer to bring up a family in. Both have nice amenities also. The other side of the city you would possibly look at Barna (although a bit more expensive because of the seaside scenery) or possibly the likes of Moycullen and/or a little further Oughterard.

My advice would be moving outside the city but there are still plenty of nice houses you can get where you can rear your family but it will be a little busier of course. Maybe have a look at Knocknacarra also. It's a nice area.

Hope this helps and best of luck

Crazy talk. The only way that one of those places would be workable is if the OP drives - if neither of you do, then even simple things like getting to the supermarket would be next to impossible (as well as extremely expensive) and getting home if he missed the bus could cost €40+ Even then, getting the bus to work in Galway city could require you to have a job in the city centre (most jobs are actually in industrial estates on the city fringes) and regular hours (lots of jobs don't).

There is absolutely nothing wrong with the suburbs of Galway City itself as a place to raise a family.

OP, the first question is - what does your husband do, and what sort of job would he be looking for. I would not advise moving a family here without a specific job to come to. Once you have that, and thus a work location, come back and we can advise you about family friendly estates on the same side of the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 103 ✭✭deliege

smetana wrote: »
    Oh! And one more important question; is it generally easy to find something to rent where you are allowed to bring your (small) dog?

Hi Smetana,

Greetings to a fellow belgian - we've made the same move 5 yrs ago and do not regret it :)
    In my experience having pets kind of reduces significantly your renting opportunities (by half maybe). One of the reasons (I think) that landlords are so reluctant to pet owners is that most rentals here are already furnished (sometimes with oldish stuff, sometimes with much better furniture, and to a high standard). Leather couches on pictures in Daft.ie -> you can bet the landlord won't be glad to hear about the dog... You can always, of course, try to suggest an increased deposit to cover any damage, or other arrangements being written in the lease. But generally (or rather, again, in our experience, renting with several cats), it seems that it's easier to find accommodating landlords if you're looking in more rural parts.
    Your big issue will then be transports: public transportation here has very little to do with what we have in Belgium (...or if you want to compare, *maybe* what you'd get in the areas around Bastogne/Virton/Arlon is similar...). Living here without being able to drive is simply not something I would have considered.
    If you have questions, do not hesitate to drop me a MP :)

Advertisement