Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

One thing to improve Galway?

• 08-04-2014 12:05am
    Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭

if money was no object & you were able to do one public works project to improve Galway city , what would it be , I would clean out the eglinton canal replace both lock gates @ parkavara & replace the rail bridge with one for pedestrians & cyclists .

your turn!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,391 ✭✭✭✭mikom

pat25c wrote: »
    if money was no object & you were able to do one public works project to improve Galway city , what would it be , I would clean out the eglinton canal replace both lock gates @ parkavara & replace the rail bridge with one for pedestrians & cyclists .

your turn!

Time machine to return Eyre squares green area.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 59,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gremlinertia

A local access pedestrian corridor so when the tourists descend I don't have to weave down shop street like it's made of chicanes.. :-P

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭stampydmonkey

Bypass.

Or demolish leisureland and pearse stadium, make them into large parks and rebuild a massive sports/concert arena, pool, running track and stadium somewhere more accessible.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Fix the fecking traffic lights so that if the cars on the road which I have to walk across have the red light, then I should have the green one, instead of all of us just waiting.
    I think it would require a single if statement in whatever code they have running the lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,318 ✭✭✭fergiesfolly

Proper Cycle Lanes throughout the city.
    More wardens on the streets to stop the likes of public dumping and dog crap littering the city.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,666 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

Giant umbrella.

Sound activated sprinkler system on the inner city streets at night, so yobs who yell and bawl on their way home from the pub/club get saturated.

(Yes I understand the two are contradictory!)

Seriously: a large concert / performance venue. Kind of like the tent in Fisheries Field, but permanent.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Blue850

This could be do-able

Refurbish the turntable and locomotive sheds at Ceannt Station

461_2.jpg

DSC01427.jpg

So these could make trips to Galway city, 186 got as far as Athenry a couple of years ago before taking the line to Limerick

• Registered Users Posts: 189 ✭✭ned14

Monorail...

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gingganggooley

Fifth bridge to alleviate traffic.

+1 on Mrs.O'Bumbles proper concert venue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

Bypass for sure. Would make a huge difference.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Glass roof over all the pedestrianised streets, from the top of Shop street incl Mainguard and Quay streets.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,087 ✭✭✭Spring Onion

biko wrote: »
    Glass roof over all the pedestrianised streets, from the top of Shop street incl Mainguard and Quay streets.

Ah no, you're soft. It is sometimes nice to be walking down Shop St in some "soft" rain and remarking how unprepared and oblivious Irish people can be towards rain even though we get a fair amount of it. A roof would take away some of the character.

• Politics Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Close Supermacs et al at midnight every night. No more drunken crowds till 4am, no more brawling, people would just bugger off home after a night out...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

Pay off the entire Council Executive with a generous retirement/redundancy package, then replace them with experienced and committed professionals more familiar with Europe in the 21st Century.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,734 ✭✭✭zarquon

+1 for an outer bypass.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,711 ✭✭✭Redhairedguy

Put a friggin' ATM down Dominick Street.... :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

Proper gantries over the roads before junctions showing people what lanes they should be in, along with proper markings on the road itself, including arrows on the lanes at roundabouts showing people what lanes they should be in. Then police them and fine people in the wrong lanes or cutting in at the tops of queues!!

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Sunshine.

Everything else would follow

• Registered Users Posts: 1,741 ✭✭✭Irishgoatman

biko wrote: »

This idea was proposed for Castlebar I believe, but nothing came of it.
    People thought it would detract from the character of the town.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 BlueBrown

A bypass first and foremost!!

Plant 10,000 trees in the city area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

A Nandos.

No really,a good art gallery with regular turn over of exhibitions maybe?
    Some place you could go on rainy Sunday afternoons and wander around or go to on dates or meet friends at for a wander and a chat when you didn't want to go to the pub or a cafe. An adult space with interesting things and talking points that doesn't revolve around drink basically.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

A Nandos.

No really,a good art gallery with regular turn over of exhibitions maybe?
    Some place you could go on rainy Sunday afternoons and wander around or go to on dates or meet friends at for a wander and a chat when you didn't want to go to the pub or a cafe. An adult space with interesting things and talking points that doesn't revolve around drink basically.

what's wrong with kennys?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,955 ✭✭✭_Whimsical_

what's wrong with kennys?

Nothing at all,only that it's a bit small really. I was thinking more of a larger space, something to take an hr or so to get around with a nice cafe perhaps. I'm just dreaming really. I'd like some nice New York gallery planted here. :)

Still for such a culturally vibrant city I can't help feeling it lacks somewhere to let average locals engage with that aspect of it's character. By that I mean the plebs like myself rather than the people who have the talent and motivation to get involved in drama or theatre etc.

An expansion of the 091 lab idea could be good too. A community run and based space for learning and creativity. If more people could get into that it could add a new and maybe needed social aspect to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 744 ✭✭✭topcat77

BlueBrown wrote: »
    A bypass first and foremost!!

Plant 10,000 trees in the city area.

A bypass will add to the number of cars on the road when we should look at reducing the numbers. Ok it will speed up a commute, how about a better public transport system?

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,553 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

pat25c wrote: »

your turn!
    There was money for a proper job to be done on the lockgates back when Michael D was the relevant minister and it was his bailiwick.

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭Paddyfield

Gluas.

Sure, you can close this thread now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Get a massive can of Febreze and spray it on Shop Street every 5 minutes. Specifically outside Boots.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭gordongekko

Get a massive can of Febreze and spray it on Shop Street every 5 minutes. Specifically outside Boots.

ya some of those fragrances they sell are mank

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

mike_ie wrote: »
    Close Supermacs et al at midnight every night. No more drunken crowds till 4am, no more brawling, people would just bugger off home after a night out...

Or allow bars and pubs to close/open whenever they want preventing the massive drunken bottleneck at closing time

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 234 ✭✭sonandheir

Build a pedestrian footbridge over the old railway pillars behind the rowing club. This would direct all the students away from using the salmon weir bridge in front of cathedral and also create a lot more footfall around woodquay which could revitialize the area.

There were a load of good ideas by architecture students that was displayed in gallery space in Tesco shopping centre a few years ago at the galwayopenhouse festival. Tried looking on web for link to these exhibitions bit can't find them. If any one else can find it please post as it would be ideal for broadening the horizons of this thread.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement