Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lidl Bakery

• 02-06-2012 1:28pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

What do people think about the quality of the food. is the price reasonable and would you buy it often

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,679 ✭✭✭bcmf

Buy their rolls most days for my lunch. Usually the seeded ones.Love their pretzels and the kids love most of the stuff there as well.
    Price wise cant really be beaten.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Andremac96

bcmf wrote: »
    Buy their rolls most days for my lunch. Usually the seeded ones.Love their pretzels and the kids love most of the stuff there as well.

the rolls are good i have bought the seeded buns once for a burger than burger buns were gone :) the small berguet rolls are nice for lunch and the big ones in the big blue lidl bag are nice to make garlic bread:):):):)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

Andremac96 wrote: »
    bcmf wrote: »

the rolls are good i have bought the seeded buns once for a burger than burger buns were gone :) the small berguet rolls are nice for lunch and the big ones in the big blue lidl bag are nice to make garlic bread:):):):)

The pretzels are great, might do my shopping there this afternoon after reading this

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

I love the bakery there. Use it alot.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Love the fresh bakery section, went there this mornin for fresh croissants for breakfast, the kids love them. Rolls and French baguette very good value. Goes to show how we are overcharged in other shops.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I find the Lidl bakery stuff good value for what it is. One of the reasons its cheaper than real fresh baked bakery good is that its so mass produced and not really the same quality.

It is all par-baked in a central location, frozen or refridgerated, and finished off in each shop, like the Cuisine de France stuff in Spar shops, or Tesco.

I think they have a better range that other similar places - rolls with pumpkin seed and rye bread etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭UCD AFC

Pretzels from there are awesome, and the chocolate croissants

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

The sourdoughs and rye type loaves are fantastic. You can cut them to your preferred width in the machine - great value and loads of flavour.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,404 ✭✭✭✭Alun

olaola wrote: »
    The sourdoughs and rye type loaves are fantastic. You can cut them to your preferred width in the machine - great value and loads of flavour.
    :confused: There's no cutting machine in our local Lidl.

Alun wrote: »

That's a First World Problem right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,797 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

UCD AFC wrote: »
    Pretzels from there are awesome, and the chocolate croissants
    if you think the Lidl Pretzels are nice you should taste a proper one from a proper bakery!
    Still, its good enough to keep the kids happy as fresh pretzels are the best baby rusk type thing ever.

And in case you havent tried it, pretzels with butter are the biz!
    Either split the pretzel in the middle with a damn sharp knife and smear the bugger with butter
    1282-2.jpg

OR
    just go freestyle with a tub of butter and smear the butt ends as you go!
    Yum.
    Butter and Brezn are just a brilliant combination

• Registered Users Posts: 4,139 ✭✭✭olaola

Alun wrote: »

They're in Rathmines & Citywest - the loaf really goes a long way when cut properly I have to say. Maybe only the bigger ones have it?

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭EoghanConway

huskerdu wrote: »
    I find the Lidl bakery stuff good value for what it is. One of the reasons its cheaper than real fresh baked bakery good is that its so mass produced and not really the same quality.

It is all par-baked in a central location, frozen or refridgerated, and finished off in each shop, like the Cuisine de France stuff in Spar shops, or Tesco.

I think they have a better range that other similar places - rolls with pumpkin seed and rye bread etc.

I'll take the mass-produced sourdough over anything cuisine-de-france/ala-tesco any day!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,352 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

I'll take the mass-produced sourdough over anything cuisine-de-france/ala-tesco any day!
    Cusine de France/Tesco/Lidl bakery products are all made exactly the same way. It's all pre-baked or pre-created rubbish that's loaded with salt and chemicals that anyone without any bakery skills can just toss in an oven.

If you want truly good bread then you either need to make your own or else take the plane to Paris.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,362 ✭✭✭Sergeant

If you want truly good bread then you either need to make your own or else take the plane to Paris.

Or visit a good local bakery.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,827 ✭✭✭christmas2012

no i dont agree i think lidls could rival any bakery for its croissants anyway,there always fresh and smell great there not a bad size either..

• Registered Users Posts: 383 ✭✭EoghanConway

Cusine de France/Tesco/Lidl bakery products are all made exactly the same way. It's all pre-baked or pre-created rubbish that's loaded with salt and chemicals that anyone without any bakery skills can just toss in an oven.

Yes they are but CdF are made with yeast, whereas the sourdough is not

Slight exaggeration there

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,188 ✭✭✭UDP

Why can't lidl cover the bakery items? Thats the only thing stopping me purchasing them. All sorts of bacteria is being thrown into the air in the shops without any protection for the bakery items.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭SBWife

There's an excellent French backers on Moore Street.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,332 ✭✭✭Mr Simpson

Yes they are but CdF are made with yeast, whereas the sourdough is not

Sourdough is a yeast bread.

• Advertisement

UDP wrote: »
    Why can't lidl cover the bakery items? Thats the only thing stopping me purchasing them. All sorts of bacteria is being thrown into the air in the shops without any protection for the bakery items.

It'll put hair on your chest

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Never mind what's floating in the air - I watched in horror recently in my local Lidl as an aul' wan (with dirty hands to boot) slowly and carefully picked up almost every apple turnover (or some sweet pastry anyway) from the basket, examined it carefully top and bottom - right under her nose - then put it back and picked up the next one for scrutiny.

Has put me right off their bakery products - which is possibly not a bad thing :D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,664 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

What a load of horsesh1t!
    There are plenty of good bakeries around - we just need to support them!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Why can't lidl cover the bakery items? Thats the only thing stopping me purchasing them.
    Also keeps stuff fresher. In tesco the donuts are put in bags already, and folded & sealed. Lidl have offers like 5 for €2 on the donuts so why not bag them the same way. I had seen finger holes stuck in donuts in lidl.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,096 ✭✭✭✭the groutch

what put me off is with is the lack of staffing in the bakery.
    so there's nobody to catch the auld wan molesting the cakes.

and I've seen on a few occassions later in the day, random staff going into the bakery, no hat/hairnet, no washing of hands/ use of gloves that I could see (and god knows what they were doing just before they went in).

• Registered Users Posts: 22,734 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Had anyone complained about the hygiene aspect to Lidl management & if so - what did they have to say?

• Registered Users Posts: 28,668 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Had anyone complained about the hygiene aspect to Lidl management & if so - what did they have to say?

Fair point - not me (yet), I was too appalled at the time, and haven't been in the shop since. But I'll certainly look for a manager next time I'm in, and report back!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭Rasheed

I'm only new going to Lidl and I find it brilliant. Dead on for price and the fruit, veg and meat are alway gorgeous and fresh.
    Have to agree, I think the bakery is gorgeous, definitely nicer then Cuisine de France and the next best thing to my own bread since I haven't time to bake my own or the money to go to Paris!!

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    But I'll certainly look for a manager next time I'm in, and report back!
    Good luck with that, I rarely see any staff on the floor, and any ones who are there are usually just stacking shelves. You could email them if you see nobody.

They seem very efficient that way. There is a young small girl who works the tills and I went up once and she was behind the tills with a big industrial cleaner, turns if off and goes back to the till. No sitting about for their staff.

While in tesco it maddens me going in late at night with massive queues on the 1 or 2 tills thats open and 3-4 manager types standing around doing sod all. Its worse than the corpo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭Damokc

Their apple turnovers are sex!

Advertisement