Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Approaching a Girl in the Street

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,680 ✭✭✭confusticated

Got asked out at work once by a regularish customer, and another time got the directions thing - "do you know the best area around here to get dinner?" Closely followed by "why don't you come with me?" Seemed like nice guys, would probably have said yes to the first anyway but I'm not single.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

That_Guy wrote: »
    Walking up the main street in Ashbourne and this gorgeous girl walked by. I passed her but I stopped and ran back to her and said, "excuse me. I know this is completely out of the blue but you're very pretty and was wondering if you fancied getting some lunch".

"Eh no thanks you weirdo" was her reply.

Fúck it. Least I tried.

fair play That_guy and the rest of ye who tried the 'cold' chat up method, i think its plain to see that what you see in rom-coms doesnt work for 99% of lads in real life especially here in Ireland. As you said, fuk it, you tried, no loss. (being politely turned down is the least you would expect though)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Would never approach a random stranger on the street or in a pub/club. I would consider it rude especially if you are putting them on the spot by asking them a yes/no question.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,646 ✭✭✭✭Sauve

There's nothing rude about speaking to a stranger, it's the approach that would make it so.
    Strangers are all friends that we have yet to make.

• Administrators Posts: 53,126 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

This post has been deleted.

• Advertisement

awec wrote: »
    Sauve wrote: »
    There's nothing rude about speaking to a stranger, it's the approach that would make it so.
    Strangers are all friends that we have yet to make.
    Oh ffs. You must have one of those proverb calendars on your desk. :pac:

Yep I do lol.
    :D:D

"A boat is safe in the harbour, but that's not what boats are built for"
    :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,753 ✭✭✭qz

Now I'm supposed to ask a girl out on a boat?

qz wrote: »
    Now I'm supposed to ask a girl out on a boat?

:D
    Try it and let us know how it goes.

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

It's really weird lads. It's common in America AFAIK, but not so much here. A friend of mine is living there at the moment, and gets asked frequently for her number by random guys. I don't know any girl who would go for it here since it's very out of the blue, but it does make us feel good! :D

I was in a bookshop and afterwards, while crossing a nearby bridge, a guy fell into step with me and struck up a conversation about the book he'd seen me buy. He then asked me to go to the cinema with him that weekend! I declined, as a default 'stranger alert' reaction, but looking back I think I should have gone for it! If it happened tomorrow, I think I'd still say no though. It's just too unexpected!

I also had a guy trying 'The Game' out on me in the Jervis Centre before. He was trying to do the insult compliment thing they describe in the book and hook me in with some other techniques, but he just insulted me a bit too much and REALLY annoyed me so I told him to fcuk off and stormed off.

mmmhmmm, mmmmhmmm.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭ihsb

I was just about to get off the bus one day when a guy lent over to me and asked me for my number. He hadn't spoken to me before that, just looked over a few times. So sweet!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,602 ✭✭✭Funkfield

I asked a girl out randomly on the street once. It was odd. I had seen her once before, just for a second, when I was leaving work. She was gorgeous. I thought about her the whole way home. It didn't cross my mind at that point that I could have said something to her. I kept an eye out for her for ages but nothing. I half joked with myself that if I ever saw her again I'd ask her out, or at least say "Hi!".

Then one day there she was again! Walking up the road on the opposite side of the street, just as I was leaving work. I had to call my own bluff and crossed the road to meet her. I apologised for stopping her and, while trying to be nervously charming about the absurdity of the situation, introduced myself and told her why I had stopped her. I asked would she care to join me for a drink. And she said "YES"!

We went out for a couple months. Everything went great. We got on so well. She was Finnish, working here for the summer. It was amazing. I couldn't believe things had gone so well. We even talked about me visiting Finland or her staying here longer.....

But all good things come to an end.

One day I decided she should meet my family. My wife went fukcing mental.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,144 ✭✭✭Scanlas The 2nd

Isn't it interesting how so many men's worst fears are being thought of as weird by women, and that fear actually makes them weird around women even though they aren't really weird, they simply don't accept themselves unconditionally. Ie don't have self esteem.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

I don't think anyone has said it is their worst fear.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,200 ✭✭✭G-Money

Given that I don't even approach in bars and clubs, doing so on the street is probably completely unrealistic for me. Although occasionally I do go a bit mad and do something unexpected so never say never.

As I was walking to work yesterday morning and leaving the apartment complex, a woman was walking towards me into the complex. She gave me a big smile and said "hello" and I immediately thought "I want to stop and talk to her" but neither of us did.

Next time perhaps!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,205 ✭✭✭Bad Panda

If I was to do it, I'd probably give the girl my number and leave it with her. That way, she's not on the spot or under pressure to give any kind of an answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,986 ✭✭✭Red Hand

Bad Panda wrote: »
    If I was to do it, I'd probably give the girl my number and leave it with her. That way, she's not on the spot or under pressure to give any kind of an answer.

That's what I did. Ugh. I had to ask her for pen and paper.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,595 ✭✭✭Giruilla

That_Guy wrote: »
    Walking up the main street in Ashbourne and this gorgeous girl walked by. I passed her but I stopped and ran back to her and said, "excuse me. I know this is completely out of the blue but you're very pretty and was wondering if you fancied getting some lunch".

"Eh no thanks you weirdo" was her reply.

Fúck it. Least I tried.

That's your biggest problem right there.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,404 ✭✭✭✭Pembily

Giruilla wrote: »
    That's your biggest problem right there.

Why?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,847 ✭✭✭py2006

The fear for men is not only rejection but being told to "F off" or being labelled a "creep" in this scenario. Unfortunately, for some guys the only way overcome this fear is to approach Irish women after a few drinks.

The pressure is still on men to do the approach work. The odd occasion that a woman approaches a man just seems to freak men out. I guess if it was more common men wouldn't freak out.

Personally, I would never approach a woman on the street for the above reasons. I rarely do it even with a drink on me in a pub. I prefer to meet them through work or whatever and get to know them a bit first.

py2006 wrote: »
    The pressure is still on men to do the approach work. The odd occasion that a woman approaches a man just seems to freak men out. I guess if it was more common men wouldn't freak out.

I am half tempted to ask one of the guys in the bike shop out :o

Pembily wrote: »

Go for it! :)

• I think I'd be overjoyed if a woman comes up to make conversation with me out of the blue like that, so do it!

I think I'd be overjoyed if a woman comes up to make conversation with me out of the blue like that, so do it!

So would I! But making conversation is different to asking them out directly! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

awec wrote: »
    Do it! :)
    Go for it! :)

Go do it! :)

Galvasean wrote: »
    Go do it! :)

Realistically not! Also I will be in my cycling gear :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 30,746 ✭✭✭✭Galvasean

So would I! But making conversation is different to asking them out directly! :cool:

It is?!?!?! So all the girls in work don't fancy me...
    I will be in my cycling gear :rolleyes:

Skin tight figure hugging super hero coloured clothing? What guy wouldn't be smitten?

Advertisement