Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Is Galway a Foodie Mecca?

2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,156 ✭✭✭Iwannahurl

kefir32 wrote: »
    I remember a restaurant out in Moycullen in an old period house, (off the beaten track) closed about 7 or 8 years, was always a pleasure to dine.

Drimcong House. I ate there only a few times. Gerry Galvin died last year, unfortunately.

http://www.advertiser.ie/galway/article/59165/galway-farewells-a-champion-of-irish-food-

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

No one has mentioned la fine bouche on sea road. So I will:

La Fine Bouche on Sea Road! Really reasonable ('bout 17 euros for a main), very fresh local ingredients, the menu changes weekly also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

?Cee?view wrote: »
    Fair enough. Understood. It's just that with even the most basic skills you can cook as well as what is served in a lot of places in Galway. For instance, last week, I ate a €16 duck main course which consisted of overcooked duck breast (at home, put in pan to render/burn off fat and put in oven for a few minutes), mash (anyone can do mash) and assorted boiled veg with a gloopy sauce more like Chivers jam than anything. It's this sort of food that I find disappointing.

Let me guess...Cookes restaurant?

I think Galway has excellent restaurants and more importantly excellent chefs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,567 ✭✭✭Red Pepper

Paddyfield wrote: »
    Galway exceeds at casual dining. There are some tasty spots to go where you don't have to dress up. I love Rouge, Thai Garden, Asian Tea House, Cooke's, Oslo, Dail, Galleon (with kids).

I have never been to Aniar because I suspect it would push me outside my comfort zone. People who love the Aniar experience will go back again and again, I have no doubt the food is top notch but it's not on my radar.

I hear you. Aniar is probably a bit "emperors new clothes" for my liking. Kai seems a bit similar, last meal I had there was all butter and salt which can often be a bad sign. Rouge, Oscars and Asian Tea House are superb.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 24 Ballabriggs14

The restaurant experience in Galway is excellent given the size of the place.

The cost leaves a lot to be desired but that applies to pretty much everything in Ireland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24 hifinut

To throw in my tuppence worth, best to date have been Abalone, Drimcong and yes Moycullenn house could be great, Oscars is excellent but I agree that there are indeed many overpriced ,overhyped establishments. The brasserie is v good and great service. My tip for anyone wanting something excellent and willing to take a drive is Taste Matters in Loughrea, its tiny, but wow the food is excellent. Owners are from Czech rep. I'm pretty sure, one is chef the other front of house , (the very best combination IMHO if you want a good restaurant). you need to book ahead. Pretty serious cooking in a friendly environment and won't break the bank. The best chowder in the west also.

• Registered Users Posts: 621 ✭✭✭detoxkid

Taste matters is yum. I work in loughrea so have only had lunch there but it is fantastic food

• Registered Users Posts: 8,164 ✭✭✭Wompa1

Galway has some pretty good restaurants but would agree with the notion that most have menus that are a carbon copy of each others.

Pizza Napoli is very good. It's the best Pizza in Galway since Bistro Bianconi closed. It's not the best Pizza I've ever had but in fairness, not so long ago all we had in Galway was feckin' Four Star!

• Registered Users Posts: 516 ✭✭✭Jogathon

No. It is not. But Galway rates itself highly on many things.

Kinsale, a tiny town in comparison, has so many nicer restaurants. Th only thing that is different is Aniar, and who am I to disagree/question a Michelin star?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,772 ✭✭✭civis_liberalis

No, we don't have a Nando's.

And long may it continue.

• Advertisement
Advertisement