Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help with selecting a good coffee for a percolator

• 14-04-2014 5:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

I got a percolator a while back and at the time I picked up a coffee along with it in Avoca called Red Rooster coffee. Since then it has expired due to lack of use. The main reasons I didn't use it as much as I would of liked is that I didn't quite enjoy the taste of that coffee.

So my two questions are:
    1) What coffee would you guys suggest?

2) How can I use the percolator in order to obtain the best coffee from it possible?

Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 217 ✭✭James_R

When you say percolator is it an electric style machine or a moka pot that you place on the hob?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭marko93

James_R wrote: »
    When you say percolator is it an electric style machine or a moka pot that you place on the hob?

Sorry for not being more specific, it's a moka pot that you place on a hob :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

marko93 wrote: »
    Sorry for not being more specific, it's a moka pot that you place on a hob :)

This is well worth a punt http://bailiescoffee.com/productdetails/184/espresso-starter-pack-free-delivery.aspx

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭donnacha

How can I use the percolator in order to obtain the best coffee from it possible?

Here is a good brew guide from Blue Bottle:

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/moka-pot

Sure feck it, just ordered a batch there. Thanks!
    donnacha wrote: »
    Here is a good brew guide from Blue Bottle:

http://www.bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides/moka-pot

Ahhh, just had a look there, never started with boiled water. Will definitely try that when the coffee arrives!

Thanks all for the help. I fear I may return looking for a better "rig" depending on how this coffee turns out :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

Do you have a grinder? It's better to get beans and grind them yourself. That way you can also control the ground. I think any espresso blend would taste good in a Moka so long as it's ground fine enough.

I very much liked the Nick's Coffee Sweet Italian blend, if you happen to be anywhere near Ranelagh ever. Moak can be good, as can Illy (for more widely available coffees). I wouldn't bother with Lavazza myself anymore, but necessesity is the mother of all imbibing.

If you got pre-ground Red Rooster, I would imagine it wasn't fine enough, which would make for a very unsatisfying cup indeed.

sarkozy wrote: »
    Do you have a grinder? It's better to get beans and grind them yourself. That way you can also control the ground. I think any espresso blend would taste good in a Moka so long as it's ground fine enough.

I very much liked the Nick's Coffee Sweet Italian blend, if you happen to be anywhere near Ranelagh ever. Moak can be good, as can Illy (for more widely available coffees). I wouldn't bother with Lavazza myself anymore, but necessesity is the mother of all imbibing.

If you got pre-ground Red Rooster, I would imagine it wasn't fine enough, which would make for a very unsatisfying cup indeed.

Don't have a grinder! Only the moka pot :P I'll look into picking one up.

Another question, how much of the ground should I be putting in?

Don't live near Ranelagh, but would be quite easy to get there over summer(bogged down with work/college atm)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭sarkozy

I wouldn't go out of your way for Nick's Coffee, but I think that blend is very good value for money (around €4.50 for a 250g bag). There's another excellent coffee available in the Co-Op on Newmarket Square, D8, called Natura Equa - great price - and it comes as beans and ground for espresso.

I used my Moka a lot last year and used this a lot.

How much? Basically you spoon in enough coffee to fill the filter vessel evenly to the brim, but you don't compact the grounds at all. Many probably end up conserving coffee by only half-filling it. That can create acceptable coffee, but not espresso. You're better off filling it correctly then topping up with hot water if you want a weaker coffee.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

I got a bag of Red Rooster (Barnyard Boogie) a while back. T'was an Ethiopian Sidamo and was absolutely delicious. They do mail order on their site as well. The guy I was corresponding with is very pleasant to deal with also. http://davenportcoffee.com/products/

Other coffees I like - illy single roast. Pricey, but lovely.

Also, I find Costa Coffee to be quite good. Tesco had it on offer for 3 quid per 227g bag the other day..

So, the coffee I ordered arrived. I got bailies handroastedcoffee Puccini Espresso and Fairtrade Espresso 100%.

I've only tried the Fairtrade so far. It was decent , but I know it probably would of been better if I didn't make a mess of it.

I have a question, the scoops that are in the moka pot after usage, are they okay to be used again later in the day, or is just best to bin them, wash the moka pot and start afresh?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭Prenderb

I have a question, the scoops that are in the moka pot after usage, are they okay to be used again later in the day, or is just best to bin them, wash the moka pot and start afresh?

Bin 'em (or compost 'em). The good's gone out of them. Careful with the pot, don't put it in the dishwasher - they don't like it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,094 ✭✭✭SamAK

In the bin with 'em! Fresh every time.

I tend not to use washing-up liquid to clean out my pot, just straight water, no contamination that way!

Also when I pre-boil the water (before it goes in the moka pot) I find that if the cooker ring is really hot and the coffee brews up really fast, the taste can be sharper and sometimes tastes burned. Coffee is meant to be made with hot but not boiling water so easy on the heat and don't let it sit there fizzing and steaming after the top section has been filled.

I get the best taste when I start with cold water in the pot and heat it a bit slower. Coffee is easily burned!

Thanks lads!

Gave it another whirl before work this morning and it tasted a lot better. I've started from cold and kept the heat lowered and it work wonderful!

Advertisement