Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Käsekrainer sausages

• 05-04-2014 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I might be able to get some of these? A thread on AH reminded me of them. Had them in Vienna a few years ago and they were delicious. Basically they are big German-style sausages with cheese in them, every bit as nice as they sound! Any help in tracking some down would be very much appreciated!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

Had them in Vienna myself and have been keeping an eye out ever since but have never come across them here.

I think Aldi were stocking a similar product during Oktoberfest but sadly they didn't appear in my local store so I can't comment on their similarity.

I have found this company which might be of interest - €9 for a seven pack http://www.gm-catering.com/orderform.html or you can collect from any market that they attend.

• Registered Users Posts: 629 ✭✭✭sparkthatbled

Toulouse wrote: »
    Had them in Vienna myself and have been keeping an eye out ever since but have never come across them here.

I think Aldi were stocking a similar product during Oktoberfest but sadly they didn't appear in my local store so I can't comment on their similarity.

I have found this company which might be of interest - €9 for a seven pack http://www.gm-catering.com/orderform.html or you can collect from any market that they attend.

€20 shipping on them, ouch... Suppose it's somewhat understandable assuming they use refrigerated transport. I'll just have to time a trip to the west well! Cheers for the reply!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,622 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

Sorry I cant be of help since I dont live in Ireland, but here it's known in slang as 'a Eitrige', which comes from the word Eiter, meaning pus :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Toulouse

That is disgusting! :D

Hopefully I'll have forgotten that lovely piece of information by the time I get to taste one again.

I saw Anthony Bourdain eat one on an episode of No Reservations and so it was the first thing we went looking for when we arrived in Vienna. We're so cultured :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,825 ✭✭✭munchkin_utd

there seems to be various variations of it in and around middle europe so maybe check out a polish or other east european shop for something similar.
    At the worst of it you'll be trying a range of stuff you havent had before anyhow.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kranjska_klobasa

its mad how Britain/ Ireland never got into the whole salami/ red sausage thing seeing as from Spain to France all the ways to Ukraine theres various versions.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,748 ✭✭✭Dermighty

Bit of a long shot, but does anyone know where I might be able to get some of these? A thread on AH reminded me of them. Had them in Vienna a few years ago and they were delicious. Basically they are big German-style sausages with cheese in them, every bit as nice as they sound! Any help in tracking some down would be very much appreciated!

The German Butcher (Killarney) does mail order.
    I can attest to the awesome quality!
    Toulouse wrote: »
    I saw Anthony Bourdain eat one on an episode of No Reservations and so it was the first thing we went looking for when we arrived in Vienna. We're so cultured :rolleyes:

the man does know a good sausage when he sees one (ehhhh :( )

• Registered Users Posts: 73 ✭✭Scruffy...The Janitor

Dunno if they're exactly what you're looking for but I noticed in my local Lidl earlier, in the Polish section there were frankfurters with cheese inside them. I can only assume they'll be in Lidls across the country

Advertisement