Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

iMac loud beeps?

• 28-03-2014 4:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭

Hi,
    Was just browsing some sites and listening to spotify earlier when my iMac went really slow (has been really slow since mavericks install)
    Rebooted but it didn't come back on?

Instead I was greeted with 3 loud beeps that just keep going.
    Tried all the usual stuff, reset the pram etc but still the same?

Google seems to say its ram related , funnily enough I am due to drop it off to upgrade ram and get ssd installed next week ( thought it might fix the slowness)

It's a mid 2011 with only 4gb which seemed to be loads until I upgraded to mavericks.

Is there any way I can boot the machine and bypass the beeping or is it knackered....

Any advice greatly appreciated.
    Sham.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

ITS GONNNA BLOW!!!

Not really, Tis Ram... one of the sticks are faulty.

On the underneath of the mac, you will be able to unscrew the lids and remove the offending chip.

This should help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US

The mac will be able to run on 1 stick of ram to tie you over, until you go in for your upgrade.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,321 ✭✭✭sham69

Cheers for reply.
    managed to get it into some sort of recovery mode, think it was shift and r.
    then recovered from a time machine back up from about 2 weeks ago.
    worked a treat. ..
    still nervous as dont know what caused the issue but its flying along now.
    cheers again for the reply.

Nemeses wrote: »
    ITS GONNNA BLOW!!!

Not really, Tis Ram... one of the sticks are faulty.

On the underneath of the mac, you will be able to unscrew the lids and remove the offending chip.

This should help:
    http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1423?viewlocale=en_US

The mac will be able to run on 1 stick of ram to tie you over, until you go in for your upgrade.

Advertisement