Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Pubs for quiet people?

• 30-06-2012 9:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

Greetings Boardsies,

Is there any such thing as a pub that's basically a library? No noisy TV, implausibly massive audio system, 100^16" TV screen (see what I did there?), plenty books, and an affordable pint? And there'd be the odd night in the week when they'd play prog rock. The kind of pub you'd find riddled with civil servants on the prowl for like minded civil servants/people.

Any such thing? Do I have to open the place for myself? Or would it simply be quicker to pop a few sleeping pills and dream of it? :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,355 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Crinklewood

Would moist turtles be welcome in said pub?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,770 ✭✭✭Jen Pigs Fly

You mean a pub for boring people

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,408 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Get a few cans and stay at home.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,878 ✭✭✭frozenfrozen

Have you considered heroin?

I hope you haven't because that would be wrong

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,732 ✭✭✭Toby Take a Bow

Well, there is the library bar.

It fits your description nearly perfectly, bar the prog rock, but to be honest, the prog rock bit sounds horrible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

Theres a name for a pub like that with no craic and no atmosphere-
    Bankrupt :)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,018 ✭✭✭Ficheall

Muddy Maher's in Woodquay might have suited you, OP. It was a lovely spot.
    Unfortunately they closed down due to the lack of business.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,295 ✭✭✭Joe10000

Like a library most nights and plays prog. rock the odd night....mmm.. now why isn't there somewhere like this....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

My local :pac:

There was 5 people in it last night, and 4 last friday night,

But there's 8 people there tonight, WAAY to busy so I came home :o

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Most small country towns will have at least one "auld fella" pub where there's no distractions and hard drinking and good banter and debate is encouraged. I love these places.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,652 ✭✭✭fasttalkerchat

Most small country towns will have at least one "auld fella" pub where there's no distractions and hard drinking and good banter and debate is encouraged. I love these places.

Aul' man pubs are brilliant!

We used to head to a place that was buzzing between 9 and 11 then people moved on to clubs and it was nice and relaxed. That's what you want sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,953 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

People looking for a quiet pub usually end up in the local park drinking from a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,254 ✭✭✭Thatnastyboy

ejmaztec wrote: »
    People looking for a quiet pub usually end up in the local park drinking from a bottle wrapped in a brown paper bag.

OOOH a park eh, nothing like that around here :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 769 ✭✭✭Diego Maradona

Bring a few cans to a library

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

You are looking for an old mans pub

There is one in every town in Ireland

Where are you OP?
    Shtanto wrote: »
    And there'd be the odd night in the week when they'd play prog rock.

And now I feel old as I don't know what prog rock is :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

In Cork City centre there's a bar like a big living room in the Victoria Hotel - I/we used to go there to get away from the bangin' music and pretentiousness - sometimes I'd go by myself after ghosting*

*ghosting is when you don't tell anyone and just head off.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Someone should open one and call it the 'Library-Inn'.
    Geddit??

/crickets

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭gara

I just ate the nicest sandwich

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,493 ✭✭✭Fulton Crown

gara wrote: »
    I just ate the nicest sandwich

Kookumber / Hang / Dill Pickles.....I'm fcukin right arn't I.

(Hang cut off the bone)

Dribbling on the Keyboard........:D

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Shtanto

All helpful suggestions there. Based on what I'm reading, it sounds like I ought to be in a hotel type setting of some sort. There are a lot of old man pubs nearby too.

@mikemac: This is prog rock: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PfVD8n2yK5Y

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭Firegaurd

In Cork City centre there's a bar like a big living room in the Victoria Hotel .

Think thats closed about 5 years.

I can understand the OP though. Went to my local tonight and there was a 21st on with close on about 200 people in a pub that should only have 50 in it. To make matters worse the partys oul ones were trying to walk through the crowd carrying trays of ham sandwiches that nobody wants.

So few cans of bulmers at home instead.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,032 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

The leeson lounge

• Registered Users Posts: 1,822 ✭✭✭Mickey H

OOOH a park eh, nothing like that around here :pac:

Try a field...

• Registered Users Posts: 21,015 ✭✭✭✭Mushy

Ive just had pints and now started listening to Cygnus X-1....they would work a dream together. All that is needed would be some fine ales.

Im only 23 and want that type of night...blissful.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,775 ✭✭✭Spacedog

I know a great bar, no loud music, loads of laid back chatty hot women, ratio female to male has gotta 2 to 1, drink is cheap, surrounds are warm and comfortable, lively atmosphere, friendly staff, comfortable couches and chairs around big tables that small groups are happy to share a drink and a chat over. hidden in plain view in the heart of Dublin city. The place is heaven and I plan on keeping it that way by not telling AH where it is.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Spacedog wrote: »
    I know a great bar, no loud music, loads of laid back chatty hot women, ratio female to male has gotta 2 to 1, drink is cheap, surrounds are warm and comfortable, lively atmosphere, friendly staff, comfortable couches and chairs around big tables that small groups are happy to share a drink and a chat over. hidden in plain view in the heart of Dublin city. The place is heaven and I plan on keeping it that way by not telling AH where it is.

Reveal this Mecca God Dammit! You can't tease us like this.

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭hayser

Neary's on Clarendon Street is a nice and quiet bar. There's no music played as far as I can remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,798 ✭✭✭Local-womanizer

I work in a pub like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Shtanto wrote: »
    Any such thing?
    Are ye in Cork, Galway, Belfast, or the other wee town, Dublin?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭MultiUmm

Spacedog wrote: »

Because it sounds like it doesn't exist? :P

Advertisement