Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

physics or engineering?

• 14-04-2014 12:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

I'm in 5th year in school and trying to gage some sort of idea for what to put on my CAO next year. Physics is definitely my favourite subject in school (and my strongest) and I think I'd like to persue a career in that area. However, I'm torn between studying engineering or doing a degree in physics. Has anyone any pointers on which is better suited to what type of person etc.?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,212 ✭✭✭✭Tom Dunne

If you love physics, then do physics. You will always be better at something you enjoy.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,104 ✭✭✭✭djpbarry

eef9619 wrote: »
    I'm in 5th year in school and trying to gage some sort of idea for what to put on my CAO next year. Physics is definitely my favourite subject in school (and my strongest) and I think I'd like to persue a career in that area. However, I'm torn between studying engineering or doing a degree in physics. Has anyone any pointers on which is better suited to what type of person etc.?
    Well, what do you think you want to do? And what other subjects do you enjoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Nicke011

DELETED TEXT

EDIT: Sorry, I read your post wrong.
    I explained everything about Physics and Engineering courses in Leaving Cert, hahah.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭professore

As someone who did physics in college, it's great, but if you want to work in physics in this country be prepared to do a Ph.D in medical physics as that's the only field outside of teaching or lecturing that you will get actual physics work. The engineers take all the other jobs.

Of course you can do a masters in engineering or software or a million other technical things if you want to get a job, plenty of options for STEM graduates. Put it this way, all my classmates from college are all doing well for themselves in a variety of fields. Very few of them in pure physics though.

Oh and physics definitely attracts more colourful characters than engineering !

Advertisement