Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Who cares About northern Ireland?

13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,441 ✭✭✭old hippy

pontia wrote: »
    i dont like the north,the people from there,even the accent,would it be missed if gone in morning,i doubt it,very bored of listening about it,we dont want it anymore than the brits do

You don't like the people or the accent, huh?

So, no family there, no friends or colleagues? Ever visited there?

Sounds to me almost as narrow minded and tribalist as the people you dislike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,030 ✭✭✭✭Chuck Stone

pontia wrote: »
    i dont like the north,the people from there,even the accent,would it be missed if gone in morning,i doubt it,very bored of listening about it,we dont want it anymore than the brits do

Ranting and raving forum >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

we dont want it anymore than the brits do

'We' is in your head. What mandate have you been given?

Also, it's more than a little contradictory that you claim not to give a **** about the north and yet you find the time to make ignorant comments about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Have to agree with this. BBC Newsline go out of their way to avoid giving a bit of weather that's outside the 6 counties.

That's not entirely true. They often show the whole island with Dublin and perhaps Cork marked out. It's most likely to happen on a Friday. Also what do we want from BBC Newsline? it's there to cover the six counties and no more, You don't see BBC Scotland covering many news stories about the north of England. It is a regional news service.

In fairness to the BBC they often include the south is some good programs. BBC's 'Coast' did a couple of excellent episodes that ran along the west, east and north coast of the island.

There's a train journeys program with Michael Portillo that included a scenic route on the east coast.

Fair play.

In fairness to the BBC they often include the south is some good programs. BBC's 'Coast' did a couple of excellent episodes that ran along the west, east and north coast of the island.

There's a train journeys program with Michael Portillo that included a scenic route on the east coast.

Fair play.

BBC 3 has focussed on us recently as well, programme on life for young people looking for jobs and emigration and protesting on couple weeks back. And there's one on Irish rappers that I'm psyching myself up to watch... :D

And of course they showed that history of Ireland series with whatsit, Feargal Keane?

• Advertisement

old hippy wrote: »
    And there's one on Irish rappers that I'm psyching myself up to watch... :D

I tried to watch the rappers one the other night but literally couldn't because of the embarrassment. :(

(not all the rappers mind, but a couple of the ones they focussed on were total idiots).

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Have to agree with this. BBC Newsline go out of their way to avoid giving a bit of weather that's outside the 6 counties.

Well, ROI people don't pay license fees. And until recently, Met Eireann showed Ireland floating in the middle of a vast sea, with no sign of the other island.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

I cant say I'm any more bothered about the north of Ireland than I am about...say...Newcastle.

So long as people aren't throwing nail-bombs into restaurants packed with kids and families because they're annoyed about Bloody Sunday then everything else can be sorted out by having a chat. And once people aren't murdering each other over something that happened 40 years ago, the news out of Northern Ireland is about as interesting as the news out of Newcastle. This is actually a good thing. The various groups in Northern Ireland have tended to look to outside allies to solve their issues rather than actually talking to each other.

Boredom with the eternal petty hatred and point scoring of Northern Ireland isn't new either.

"Then came the Great War: Every institution, almost, in the world was strained. Great Empires have been overturned. The whole map of Europe has been changed. The position of countries has been violently altered. The modes of thought of men, the whole outlook on affairs, the grouping of parties, all have en countered violent and tremendous changes in the deluge of the world. But as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short, we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again. The integrity of their quarrel is one of the few institutions that has been unaltered in the cataclysm which has swept the world."

Winston Churchill - 1922.

Northern Ireland - boring the world with its petty hatred since 1609.

Sand wrote: »
    So long as people aren't throwing nail-bombs into restaurants packed with kids and families because they're annoyed about Bloody Sunday

Pathetic attempt at a synopsis of the troubles.

Truly Pathetic.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭Sand

That's not a synopsis - that is an actual atrocity carried out by the Balcombe Street gang. Accept it or don't as you choose.

• Advertisement

I cant say I'm any more bothered about the north of Ireland than I am about...say...Newcastle.

So long as people aren't throwing nail-bombs into restaurants packed with kids and families because they're annoyed about Bloody Sunday then everything else can be sorted out by having a chat. And once people aren't murdering each other over something that happened 40 years ago, the news out of Northern Ireland is about as interesting as the news out of Newcastle. This is actually a good thing. The various groups in Northern Ireland have tended to look to outside allies to solve their issues rather than actually talking to each other.

Boredom with the eternal petty hatred and point scoring of Northern Ireland isn't new either.

"Then came the Great War: Every institution, almost, in the world was strained. Great Empires have been overturned. The whole map of Europe has been changed. The position of countries has been violently altered. The modes of thought of men, the whole outlook on affairs, the grouping of parties, all have en countered violent and tremendous changes in the deluge of the world. But as the deluge subsides and the waters fall short, we see the dreary steeples of Fermanagh and Tyrone emerging once again. The integrity of their quarrel is one of the few institutions that has been unaltered in the cataclysm which has swept the world."

I always have a problem with Churchill quotations. This is the man who sent in the black and tans & suggested gassing the Kurds :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Dunno about that, in the next few days part 1 of the NI census is comng out. From what I have heard, part 1 will avoid the Protestant v Catholic head count (possibly due to the orange marching season been in full swing), more to do with your occupation, have you ever attended third level education etc

As someone from a southern perspective, well the unionist dominated state is gone forever with equality the name of the game and an ever growing nationalist population (already at school level nationalists may well be in the majority ?), a united Ireland is only two decades away at most by which the south will have easily recovered from the present condition it is in. Interesting times ahead :)

I think you are in dreamland there mate, I dont think that if there was ever a referendum either side of the border that a 51-49 split would be allowed to be an answer or that either people in the Republic would even want to be attached to a country with so much bigotry, from both sides.
    Northern Ireland is a country on its own and it has taken huge leaps in the last decade. Its a place that I like to go on holiday and so far, TG, My family and me have only ever being met with friendliness. There is an element in every society that does not conform and where there is a history of bigotry and hate it takes a long time for it to filter out of the society if ever at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,647 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

My impression (and it seems to have been echoed by the various native NI posters on this thread) is that most people "up North" are as jaded with the political situation as we are here and just want to get on with their lives at this stage.

As for the lack of coverage here.. is it really that surprising? Land border or no it is still a foreign country and I wouldn't expect to see anything beyond major events on ROI telly any more than I would expect to see stories about the local happenings in Newcastle. Similarly, I doubt Germans get many local stories about Holland for example and they share a border too.

As for the inevitable Unification talk.. why on earth would ANY country in its right mind want to join our parochial, corrupt, immature little "Republic"? Let's get our own house and problems in order before we start looking to take on someone else's.

Best thing that could happen I think with regards the "Northern question" is it's declared an independent state but while retaining the benefits of links to both the Republic and GB - that way everyone wins, not least the aforementioned poor feckers who just want to get on with their lives.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,654 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Kaiser2000 wrote: »
    My impression (and it seems to have been echoed by the various native NI posters on this thread) is that most people "up North" are as jaded with the political situation as we are here and just want to get on with their lives at this stage.

As for the lack of coverage here.. is it really that surprising? Land border or no it is still a foreign country and I wouldn't expect to see anything beyond major events on ROI telly any more than I would expect to see stories about the local happenings in Newcastle. Similarly, I doubt Germans get many local stories about Holland for example and they share a border too.

As for the inevitable Unification talk.. why on earth would ANY country in its right mind want to join our parochial, corrupt, immature little "Republic"? Let's get our own house and problems in order before we start looking to take on someone else's.

Best thing that could happen I think with regards the "Northern question" is it's declared an independent state but while retaining the benefits of links to both the Republic and GB - that way everyone wins, not least the aforementioned poor feckers who just want to get on with their lives.

Agree 100%

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Well we're getting into an historical discussion but since you brought it up and it does relate to them type of state the north was. Churchill, now there's a good reference to quote, the man who partitioned the country, sent in the Black and Tans, Auxilliary's, made excuses for the burning of Cork etc :rolleyes: Says it all about you politcal viewpoint that you agree with a man who says " The integrity of their quarrel is one of the few institutions that has been unaltered " when he was one of the main founders of the state. Ah yes, those Catholics entrapped in the orange state, terrible people altogether who after 50 years of gross thuggery and discrimination had the audacity of copying the Civil Rights movement in the southern states of America and to ask for a fairer society north of the border.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 564 ✭✭✭thecommietommy

Agree with you. The OP complains it's not talked about enough, but what really major has happened in the last week or so, the riot in Ardoyne and a dissident RIRA man filmed firing a few shots. By the end of this week, their will be X amount of armed robberies in Dublin and probably a murder or two. Do I expect the rest of the country to get into a big discussion on it on boards.ie ?

Don't agree, having two economy's on a small island pulling in different directions is stupid. Ah sure, let's have a People's Republic of Cork, an independent Connacht while we're at it eh ??

• Registered Users Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭junder

Agree with you. The OP complains it's not talked about enough, but what really major has happened in the last week or so, the riot in Ardoyne and a dissident RIRA man filmed firing a few shots. By the end of this week, their will be X amount of armed robberies in Dublin and probably a murder or two. Do I expect the rest of the country to get into a big discussion on it on boards.ie ?

Don't agree, having two economy's on a small island pulling in different directions is stupid. Ah sure, let's have a People's Republic of Cork, an independent Connacht while we're at it eh ??

I didn't complaign, I asked a question, there is a difference. So you disagree agree with 2 economy's on a small island, does that mean your against Scottish independence?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭Reoil

The NI news on UTV and BBC-NI almost never mentions anything here in the ROI unless there is a NI aspect to it.

Not true - actually I'm surprised by the ROI news reports in UTV and BBC to be fair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,565 ✭✭✭southsiderosie

MOD NOTE:

As per usual, this thread has veered wildly off-course.

As a reminder, this thread is NOT about Scottish nationalism, the evils of the Black and Tans, or how NI Catholics would vote in a referendum on the national question. Yet some posters here seem confused about that, despite the fact that there has already been a moderator warning to stay on topic.

It is getting increasingly difficult to not see the consistent derailing of NI-related threads as anything but trolling, and it is beyond tiresome at this point. If you can't stay on topic, and/or your sole contribution to these threads is an inflammatory one-liner with no links or rationale behind it, you will not be long for the forum because we're getting sick of mopping up threads involving the same people over and over again.

Advertisement