Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"Leap" into the unknown: The feedback thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

lxflyer wrote: »
    Until it is potentially withdrawn in 2014.

Rambler tickets will still exist on the Leap card, well a five day at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭Seaswimmer

Any update on when the pre paid tickets can be purchased online.

I can see Bus Eireann there but nothing else as yet, either for student or normal card..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,281 ✭✭✭Stevek101

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Any update on when the pre paid tickets can be purchased online.

I can see Bus Eireann there but nothing else as yet, either for student or normal card..

Bus Éireann is still only using Adult Leap cards as far as I know. Dublin Bus tickets will be kind of pointless to buy online you'll still have to pick them up in a shop.

Stevek101 wrote: »
    Dublin Bus tickets will be kind of pointless to buy online you'll still have to pick them up in a shop.

Not really.

Its handy to buy online and then pick up at Payzone when you are buying and managing for someone else or even for a few people..

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Seaswimmer wrote: »
    Not really.

Its handy to buy online and then pick up at Payzone when you are buying and managing for someone else or even for a few people..

But, you can buy them at the shop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,535 ✭✭✭✭LXFlyer

Not necessarily - the NTA have indicated that they will review the situation in 2014.

I hope you're right - but the jury is out for the moment.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

Not necessarily - the NTA have indicated that they will review the situation in 2014.

I hope you're right - but the jury is out for the moment.

Well, capping with Leap Cards can replace ramblers in the long term. It makes no sense to have a few similar items, that do sort of the same thing, on the one card.

It's like trying to explain the staging system to someone who isn't use to the fare structure for Dublin Bus.

But, you can buy them at the shop.

ok.

let me explain..

I have 4 members of the family on Leap cards (1 adult and 3 students).

I dont want to have to root out cash and hand it to them to top up cards.

Much handier for me to buy online and let them pick up at their leisure.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,676 ✭✭✭AngryLips

So can this be purchased from the driver in this scenario or will you need to go into a shop?

AngryLips wrote: »
    So can this be purchased from the driver in this scenario or will you need to go into a shop?

You need to go to a shop.

• Advertisement

You need to go to a shop.

...disappointing, given that the technology is there to support it direct from the driver.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,746 ✭✭✭Polar101

What happened to the auto top-up feature, when is it going live?

Also, if I've hit the cap on Dublin Bus and want to pay for a €1.40 fare, could I just use the card reader on the right-hand side?

If you're sure you have reached the cap, then yes you could.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭KD345

Polar101 wrote: »
    What happened to the auto top-up feature, when is it going live?

According to the NTA it will be active in the next few months.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,237 ✭✭✭markpb

...disappointing, given that the technology is there to support it direct from the driver.

Surely the point of a smart card is to remove driver interaction, not increase it? What they're proposing is perfectly normal.

markpb wrote: »
    Surely the point of a smart card is to remove driver interaction, not increase it? What they're proposing is perfectly normal.

Well if that was the intention they would introduce a fixed fare, abolish cash fares and do away with the driver's machine altogether

Well if that was the intention they would introduce a fixed fare, abolish cash fares and do away with the driver's machine altogether

By that thinking, if we can't make something perfect right from the start, we should feel free to make it worse? Strange logic.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

By that thinking, if we can't make something perfect right from the start, we should feel free to make it worse? Strange logic.

In fairness the Leap project has been going on for almost 14 years now!!!

Are you suggesting that this is the intent? To introduce a fixed fare?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Lothian Buses have just announced their new "App" with a the added convenience of "M-Tickets".

It all sounds very useful to those of a mobile outlook,although it appears to involve a lot of peering into mobile phone screens...?

http://lothianbuses.com/apps?utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Say+hello+to+the+official+Lothian+Buses+app&utm_content=Say+hello+to+the+official+Lothian+Buses+app+CID_86338f51673cc981882fe31612160458&utm_source=Email%20marketing%20software

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭bk

Interesting AlekSmart, however I think iBeacon and similar technologies will end up being the future of public transport ticketing.

However I think discussing that deserves it's own thread, so I will leave it for now until I've more time.

Probably more of a store training issue than a Leap issue but I asked in a local Centra to get a 5 day Rambler loaded on my Leap card. The assistant looked at me strangely and said "on this?"

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Give it time with all these add ons as it is new to people and even if shown how to do it you may not get a leap user for ages asking to add a certain card type to work for their intended type.

It is a good system just needs a lot more work suppose bit like the government.

Leap Card users double over the last year.

...no doubt helped by the migration of annual ticket holders.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Does anyone know how to get the 5 euro deposit refunded?

As per the FAQ section on www.leapcard.ie login to your online account and request a refund.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,201 ✭✭✭languagenerd

I don't understand why they're making annual ticket holders on the Luas tag on and off every single time they get on a tram. Seems a bit unnecessary - it's not like there's any money being taken off it. And then if they forget to tag, they could be fined €45 despite having paid over a grand in advance for the year. (*cynicism kicks in* maybe that's what they want!).

I can see why it works for the bus, where you always had to tag on with a ticket, but for the Luas, surely would be just as easy to keep going with what they used to have - a ticket with their photo saying "Annual Pass"? Be quicker for the inspectors too...

It gives them travel information that they can use for travel planning and it gives them usage data for each stop.

However, I seriously doubt any annual pass holder would be fined for not tagging off. Where did you hear of that being suggested to annual pass holders?

However, I seriously doubt any annual pass holder would be fined for not tagging off. Where did you hear of that being suggested to annual pass holders?

The leaflet they're giving out to some taxsaver employees and which is buried somewhere on the leapcard website says that annual ticket holders should tag on and off each journey. It doesn't mention any penalty for not following this rule and having both followed and ignored the rules and been ticket checked both ways, Luas staff seem to either not know or not care.

• Advertisement

The leaflet they're giving out to some taxsaver employees and which is buried somewhere on the leapcard website says that annual ticket holders should tag on and off each journey. It doesn't mention any penalty for not following this rule and having both followed and ignored the rules and been ticket checked both ways, Luas staff seem to either not know or not care.

As I posted above - yes people should tag in and out, if nothing else but to provide usage statistics, but I just cannot imagine anyone with a monthly/annual pass being penalised for not doing it, or even being threatened with a penalty.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement