Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Dublin Airport - Terminal 2

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,394 ✭✭✭✭kippy

It looks like most other brand new terminals tbh. Nothin extra special about it and no need for anything extra special to be honest.
    Its a badly needed piece of infrastructure.

A quick one,
    does anyone here think that Dublin airport needs a second active runway or is that feasible?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

kippy wrote: »
    A quick one,
    does anyone here think that Dublin airport needs a second active runway or is that feasible?

As far as I remember, the DAA applied for planning permission for a second runway, and got it, but were unhappy with the amount of restrictions associated with it, so they were about to appeal. Then the drop in passenger numbers with the recession meant it was kicked into the long grass.

They could certainly do with extending the current one at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,250 ✭✭✭markpb

I'm not sure if this has been posted already. DAA are advertising in the national papers that they are looking for volunteers for participate in operational trials. There's even a draw for a €5,000 prize - linky

• Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭Jayuu

Signed up for it. Doing nothing at the moment so why not?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 454 ✭✭irishdub14

500 New Jobs For T2

Dublin Airport Authority is to create more than 500 jobs at Terminal Two in Dublin Airport.

In April, the DAA announced that at least 400 retail jobs will be created when T2 opens in November.

These new jobs will bring the total full-time equivalent jobs to 900.

The 500 new staff will be responsible for all passenger services and facilities management at T2.

The new employees will be involved in jobs such as security, cleaning, customer service, and passenger processing.

T2's main construction phase is now effectively complete and the DAA has started to commission and test the new facility.

The DAA is also seeking volunteers for its full-scale trials later in the summer.

The 900 jobs are full-time equivalents, but given the nature of Airport operations the total employed will be well over 1,000 as the jobs will be a mixture of full and part-time positions.

Elsewhere, the DAA Chief Executive has been criticised for receiving a bonus payment of €51,000 last year, despite the authority making a €13m loss.

Under sustained questioning from Independent Senator Shane Ross at an Oireachtas Committee hearing today, Declan Collier said he got the bonus for achieving objectives set by the company's remuneration committee.

Mr Collier said the bonus was not entirely related to the financial performance of the company.

Mr Collier also said that the new staff recruited for T2 will be on different terms and conditions than those who are currently working in Terminal One.

He was responding to Labour's Tommy Broughan, who asked if it was true the new staff going into T2 would be on significantly less pay than existing staff in the airport.

Mr Collier said that the terms had been agreed with staff and their representatives.

The Labour TD also criticised the amount Mr Collier is paid.

Mr Collier replied that his pay had been reduced by 26% in the last two years.

RTE NEWS

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0623/dublinairport.html

• Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

where are these jobs advertised?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,588 ✭✭✭Bluetonic

korpy wrote: »
    You'd have to hazard a guess that their website would be the place.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,569 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Signed up for the trials also. I just want to get a good sneak preview of the new terminal.:)

I don't agree with those who think that T2 is an unaffordable luxury now that we in the depths of recession. It was a badly needed piece of infrastructure and is required for the future.

It also projects a much better image of the country than the jumbled mess that is Terminal 1.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,468 ✭✭✭BluntGuy

JupiterKid wrote: »
    It also projects a much better image of the country than the jumbled mess that is Terminal 1.

+1

Absolutely. While I'd agree with the sentiment expressed earlier that T2 is similar in many respects to other new modern terminal buildings, it's still a fine-looking structure. I hope it functions as well as it looks.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

Typical short-term Irish thinking to say "oh passenger numbrs are now lower then two years ago they shouldn't have built Terminal2" bah!

Terminal 1 was built in the 70's just before the second oil crisis. It's been in use for over 30years. No reason to think Terminal2 won't be in use for next 30-40years either. However most decision making in this country is based around "when is the next election & how does it help me get votes"

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭oddiot

korpy wrote: »

By following the links on their website, they're on:
    http://terminal2jobs.jobsmarket.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 19 korpy

oddiot wrote: »
    By following the links on their website, they're on:
    http://terminal2jobs.jobsmarket.ie/

Thank you

Well, it's official...
    Aer Lingus to base Dublin operation in T2
    Friday, 25 June 2010

Aer Lingus has announced that it will transfer its Dublin Airport operation to Terminal Two when the new terminal opens in November.

However, Aer Lingus warned it would review the decision if differential pricing is introduced to T2.

The move by Aer Lingus will mean that passengers will be able to avail of the US Customs and Border Protection facility.

These facilities are already in operation in Shannon Airport and will allow departing passengers to the US to fully clear US immigration, customs and agriculture controls.

Aer Lingus also confirmed that it is to transfer operations from its head office building to Hangar 6.

The DAA is to pay Aer Lingus €10.55m over ten years for the leasehold interest on the head office site.

It will also provide services and facilities to the value of €11.6m to Aer Lingus over the same period, bringing the total value of the deal to €22.05m.

RTE NEWS

http://www.rte.ie/news/2010/0625/aerlingus.html

But if there moving all their services to T2, does that mean T1 will basically become the Ryanair terminal? :(

• Registered Users Posts: 232 ✭✭Heartbreak Hank

Is there anyway that Dublin could market itself as a gateway hub airport for Europe-America travellers? Surely the fact that it is the most westerly large airport in Europe would mean that it is an ideal candidate?

I would feel that the combination of trans Atlantic and low cost European carrier options in one Airport would also suit the more independent traveller.

Is there any way that the DAA or the Airlines can market themselves as the direct route transfer to Europe?

It really aggravates me flying to Amsterdam/London etc before crossing the Ocean.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,391 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

It really aggravates me flying to Amsterdam/London etc before crossing the Ocean.

Why do it then? Aer Lingus and American Airlines fly from Dublin and you can easily get a connecting flight in the US!

There is a reason that London/Amsterdam are bigger hubs....larger populations and economies.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

London benefits from being a large city with a large economy and Amsterdam from being in a very central position in Europe.

If Dublin Airport gets its second runway it could become a rather attractive airport for transatlantic flights (especially to the US, given the fact full Immigration and Customs will be done in T2).

Wasn't there talk of Air India switching its European hub from Frankfurt to Dublin?

Sulmac wrote: »
    London benefits from being a large city with a large economy and Amsterdam from being in a very central position in Europe.

If Dublin Airport gets its second runway it could become a rather attractive airport for transatlantic flights (especially to the US, given the fact full Immigration and Customs will be done in T2).

Wasn't there talk of Air India switching its European hub from Frankfurt to Dublin?

Yes there was talk and actually the decision still hasn't been made:
    March 23, 2010

Air India is sending a technical evaluation team to Dublin as part of its effort to move its European and U.S hub away from Frankfurt Airport in Germany.

This follows the visit of its senior management team to Dublin last month. The decision to shift from Frankfurt will be made this summer, according to a senior official. The carrier is also looking at partnering with Ireland’s national carrier Aer Lingus for connecting flights to Europe.

Copenhagen is believed to be another contender.

Dublin’s new Terminal 2 is due to open in November, and Air India is expected to be one of the first tenants of the Dublin Airports Authority, which is trying to cope with a fall in traffic.

“All our decisions need to consider cost effectiveness,” Air India Chairman and Managing Director Arvind Jadhav told The DAILY last month.

While economics is a major consideration, the Irish capital’s airport enablews U.S.-bound passengers to clear customs and immigration prior to arrival, thus avoiding long lines. This will be a major plus when AI makes it decision, a senior Irish official says.

AVIATION WEEK

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?topicName=india&id=news/avd/2010/03/23/08.xml&headline=Air%20India%20Eyes%20Moving%20Hub%20To%20Dublin

It would be amazing to see lots of Air India planes in Dublin! Fingers crossed! Although I cant see any benefits from moving from a major German airport to an Irish airport.....

• Registered Users Posts: 7 myhead

Can someone please explain the amazing charges this airline adds on, Me thinks it will only get worse with this shineee new terminal and we shall have to pay for it in the end:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 chopperreid

i worked in T2 and i must say when you see it compared to the old T1 it is impressive and something to be proud of, it has more of a high end shopping centre feel to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,093 ✭✭✭Amtmann

myhead wrote: »
    Can someone please explain the amazing charges this airline adds on, Me thinks it will only get worse with this shineee new terminal and we shall have to pay for it in the end:eek:

Hi there. That question is for a different forum really (Commuting & Transport). This thread is about Terminal 2, not Ryanair.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 417 ✭✭muffy

Seriously impressive building, get a little shiver every time I drive under it!
    Glad to see we have something to be proud of for people to see when entering the country...
    Getting the job application in!

• Registered Users Posts: 448 ✭✭Bodan

45865663153379995c73b.jpg

thanks to tearbringer for the photo

• Registered Users Posts: 5,680 ✭✭✭jd

irishdub14 wrote: »
    Yes there was talk and actually the decision still hasn't been made:

http://www.aviationweek.com/aw/generic/story_generic.jsp?topicName=india&id=news/avd/2010/03/23/08.xml&headline=Air%20India%20Eyes%20Moving%20Hub%20To%20Dublin

It would be amazing to see lots of Air India planes in Dublin! Fingers crossed! Although I cant see any benefits from moving from a major German airport to an Irish airport.....

If clearance is done in Ireland, doesn't it offer the opportunity to fly to cheaper domestic airports in the states?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,021 ✭✭✭Sulmac

jd wrote: »
    If clearance is done in Ireland, doesn't it offer the opportunity to fly to cheaper domestic airports in the states?

One benefit, there could be flights to LaGuardia in New York, or Reagan National just outside Washingon DC - both airports closer to the city centres than the main airports (JFK, Newark, Dulles and Baltimore-Washington).

Of course, this also means Ryanair-type situations with flights to "New York (Providence)" and the like... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 55 ✭✭wetling

I think the daily mail headline should read 'T2: Judgment day' when it opens - it can then go on to say how airfares will double because of it and all job there will go to poles

• Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

murpho999 wrote: »
    Why do it then? Aer Lingus and American Airlines fly from Dublin and you can easily get a connecting flight in the US!

There is a reason that London/Amsterdam are bigger hubs....larger populations and economies.
    Their destinations, schedules and prices are reason enough to avoid transatlantic flights from Dublin. I recently started flying to the Western USA through LHR and I get there cheaper and on better planes (United/American/AerLingus are not providing competitive services when compared with Air Canada, Virgin, BA, etc.).

I would gladly cut out an extra stop and fly from Dublin, but it is impossible to get to the West Coast and the prices are high. Making Dublin a bigger hub is possible but we need to entice more airlines to come for a reason (hub to Europe) and that will involve longer runways to accommodate the newer planes.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,142 Mod ✭✭✭✭Locker10a

wetling wrote: »
    I think the daily mail headline should read 'T2: Judgment day' when it opens - it can then go on to say how airfares will double because of it and all job there will go to poles

Are you for real ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

OisinT wrote: »
    Their destinations, schedules and prices are reason enough to avoid transatlantic flights from Dublin. I recently started flying to the Western USA through LHR and I get there cheaper and on better planes (United/American/AerLingus are not providing competitive services when compared with Air Canada, Virgin, BA, etc.).

I would gladly cut out an extra stop and fly from Dublin, but it is impossible to get to the West Coast and the prices are high. Making Dublin a bigger hub is possible but we need to entice more airlines to come for a reason (hub to Europe) and that will involve longer runways to accommodate the newer planes.

Really?

I flew to the USA last summer, and by FAR the cheapest way to do it was to use a US carrier that flies to Dublin (Delta in my case, for €230 one way including all taxes), and connect from one of their US hubs to any onward destination - I flew Dublin - New York - Chicago, and with all immigration done in Dublin it was pretty painless. I would say that getting immigration out of the way in Dublin compensates for the hassle of changing flights in the US too.

Going through London was another option I looked at, and it was way more expensive with Virgin and BA - more expensive than Aer Lingus. Aer Lingus also allow you to book through flights with a change in the states to US airline.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,397 ✭✭✭✭FreudianSlippers

I was talking about West Coast USA or Canada. Getting to Chicago or NYC is easy on EI direct. Schedule is still not great though and I'm not a big Delta fan.
    Not to mention that EI has no real partners anymore and I was informed last week that they will not be checking bags through anymore unless everything is booked through their website (either jetblue which are almost all redeye or united which is usually cheaper on united's website).

I fly a lot to the USA - about 3-4 roundtrips to W.Coast and 1-2 to Chicago or NYC and on the past 2 years AerLingus has been awful and I've been happier going through LHR (at least to W.Coast - I still go from Dublin to NYC and Chicago)

Advertisement