Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

BOOK CLUB - Galway

• 10-03-2007 5:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi All!

If, like me, you're tired of the same old pub, club, supermacs social scene of galway, why not stimulate the old brain cells and meet new people by doing something intellectual!? I've started a book club in Galway, where people can get together and chat about books they've read, discover new books together and generally have a bit of literary crack. We meet in different members houses, over a glass of wine (or water if that's your poison ;)), to loosen the opinionated tongues!

We've already got a few members and would quite like a few more, so post here or drop me a pm if you think it's a good idea, bad idea or you just don't care.

Hoping for lots of Responses!
    Tristan
    P.S. For obvious reasons it's for Grown Ups only, no under 18s please!!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 grainnetralee

Great idea, where does the book club meet in Galway?
    Hi All!

If, like me, you're tired of the same old pub, club, supermacs social scene of galway, why not stimulate the old brain cells and meet new people by doing something intellectual!? I've started a book club in Galway, where people can get together and chat about books they've read, discover new books together and generally have a bit of literary crack. We meet in different members houses, over a glass of wine (or water if that's your poison ;)), to loosen the opinionated tongues!

We've already got a few members and would quite like a few more, so post here or drop me a pm if you think it's a good idea, bad idea or you just don't care.

Hoping for lots of Responses!
    Tristan
    P.S. For obvious reasons it's for Grown Ups only, no under 18s please!!

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭Allison91

awww i want to join...:(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,165 ✭✭✭DEmeant0r

I would love to join too, but final year is cutting my free time down to half of Saturday/Sunday (So I don't think I can finish a book in a week), when would these meets be?

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 206 ✭✭Creachadóir

I'd be very interested in joining a book club...however I rent. It'd be impossible to bring a group of people over to my place to talk about books! Would I be able to just bring the wine and stimulating conversation ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 148 ✭✭trish23

Sounds like a good idea! Might be better to find a neutral venue though. I'm all on...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 717 ✭✭✭TristanPeter

Hi Everyone,

Perhaps it would be a good idea for anyone who is interested in the book club to meet somewhere at a time suitable for everyone.

Then we could all discuss the ins and outs of the whole thing together especially in relation to venue, the time allocated for each book etc. That way we could try and come to the best compromise so as to accommodate as many interested people as we can.

I propose meeting at Bar No. 8 (the new bar on the docks) on Saturday Feb 9th at 7:30pm. It's quiet and there are large tables to have a discussion around.

I would appreciate ant feedback please.

Regards
    Tristan

• Registered Users Posts: 293 ✭✭padraig71

Great idea, good luck with it. Sorry I can't join you, I'm always working nights and weekends.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,155 ✭✭✭PopeBuckfastXVI

Yah I'd be up for that

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would definitely be interested in that but unfortunately I'm coming back from a short break that day so I don't know if I'll be in Galway. I will do my best to make it!

Weeknights suit me a bit better than the weekend. I'm usually fairly busy at the weekend. I don't think I'll be able to go to that initial meeting. Sorry! I'm very interested though.

• Advertisement

why not have it on a thursday evening instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 25,593 ✭✭✭✭Mrs OBumble

why not have it on a thursday evening instead?

Noooo ... why does everything interesting in Galway seem to happen on Thursdays? There are sooo many weeks when I have three different places to be at 7pm on Thursday, and nothing to do any other weeknight.

I'm keen to have a chat about the idea anyway, and the suggested time/place works for me!

(Will be fascinated to see just what the age-range of people posting here is though, I'm not sure that too wide a spread of ages/interests would make for a great book club.)

21 and I read anything really, except girlie girl books.

Mid-twenties, female. I'll read anything. It'd be nice to have a focus though.

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭MattKid

I'm slightly interested in the idea. I'll read most execpt sci fi and fantasy. I only read for enjoyment though, I'm possibly too shallow for deep discussions about characters and metaphors etc

What about Wednesday 6th Feb, same time, same place? The reason for the meeting is to discuss what the book club should entail including genres, venues etc. I suppose it would be fairest for individual members to nominate a book of their choice on an cyclical basis. Anyway, at the meeting we can iron out the finer details.

In relation to the age range; definitely no under 18s because there may be alcohol present at club meetings. As for an upper age limit I don't know does it matter that much. But I'm sure that most Boardsies will be in their 20s to 40s. Correct me if I'm wrong.

I will try and make it, will these meets be frequent? I won't be able to finish a book in a week with the course I'm in so...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 garyal

I just googled Books Clubs in Galway and found this.
    I'd be very interested in joining but unfortunately Feb 6th doesn't suit me. I don't see any reason why I wouldn't be able to make subsequent meetings though and maybe read the first book choice if I could find that out from somewhere.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 125 ✭✭Des Hynes

Sounds good.

Read a great book recently

Shantaram-Gregory David Roberts

Immense

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

Great idea. I wont be around the 6th though im at the Ireland Brazil game!

• Advertisement

Tuesday 5th any better? The idea of this meeting is really just to figure out how best to run the Book Club with input from all interested parties. I suppose it's like an initiation meeting. Hopefully it will allow us to answer all the questions everyone has such as; how much time is allocated per book? Where and when will the meetings be held? Who will be in the club etc. etc.

Bar No. 8 doesn't have to be the venue every week. I just put it forward as a suitable place for everyone to meet initially. It could be good though. We will have to discuss the venue in depth.

So is Tuesday 5th Feb, Bar No. 8 @ 7:30pm good? I think a date has to be finalised. I would doubt if we could find a date and time that will suit everyone so I suppose whoever can attend...be there:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 LittleGoblin

Hi - would be very interested also. Tuesdays dont suit me - so I'll keep an eye out in case the evening changes. And no - you never will get an evening that suits everyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,124 ✭✭✭kittensoft1984

should be able to make it but can someone tell me where bar no 8 is??

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 10,550 Mod ✭✭✭✭Robbo

should be able to make it but can someone tell me where bar no 8 is??
    It's in the docks, about 150m from Sheridan's.

Tuesday 5th any better? The idea of this meeting is really just to figure out how best to run the Book Club with input from all interested parties. I suppose it's like an initiation meeting. Hopefully it will allow us to answer all the questions everyone has such as; how much time is allocated per book? Where and when will the meetings be held? Who will be in the club etc. etc.

Bar No. 8 doesn't have to be the venue every week. I just put it forward as a suitable place for everyone to meet initially. It could be good though. We will have to discuss the venue in depth.

So is Tuesday 5th Feb, Bar No. 8 @ 7:30pm good? I think a date has to be finalised. I would doubt if we could find a date and time that will suit everyone so I suppose whoever can attend...be there:)

Can't do tuesday... got a CS:S match (omg! a computer nerd on boards!)

Post up the gist after the meeting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 330 ✭✭tristanc

Well, my job gives me inordinate amount of time to read, so I'll def come by on Tues. Unless theres a one Tristan per club limit in Galway. In which case, I'll have to say the organizer gets precedence.

Is this just a meet and greet, or is there a book we should be ready to discuss by then?

It's just a meet and greet so hope to see plenty of people there

• Registered Users Posts: 2,985 ✭✭✭skelliser

this sounds interesting, i might be able to make it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭Notorious BIG

Bump;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Dazbags

Hi all,

Sounds good and I can make it on the 5th so I'll probably be there. Don't know where Bar no 8 is but based on the directions I probably drive past it every night so will keep my eyes open from now on!

Advertisement