Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pub Guide

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I agree - Nealon's is a fantastic pub (established by the absolutely legendary John Nealon Sr, RIP). It is my local when I am home in Skerries. Great pint, super staff (I used to be one of them back in the day ;)).

As mentioned - The Malting House does a great pint. Ollie's Bar & The Snug are also worth checking out if you are in Skerries. Likewise Blue Bar on the harbour stocks a good selection of craft beers.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭Whatnuclearsub

Yeah it is a fantastic pub alright, one of my favourites in Skerries. Skerries will be packed out this weekend with Skerries 100 on! Not a big fan of Ollies or The Snug myself but Blue is another favourite of mine!

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭The Drunken Destrier

Cork Bars

An Brog - My favourite bar, cheep and cheerful, relaxed as hell

Surely you're joking. Went there on a non-event Tuesday night and it was like a nightclub for 17-year-olds. Horrible place!

Is it nice during the day??

Surely you're joking. Went there on a non-event Tuesday night and it was like a nightclub for 17-year-olds. Horrible place!

Is it nice during the day??

No, I wouldn't recommend it. There are far better pubs in Cork for a drink during the day. Its really just a student bar.

I thought so. I think it was literally the worst bar I've been to in my life. On the upside, An Bodhrán sounds good for an early afternoon. The problem with the Abbots, Fran Well, Porterhouse etc. is that they don't open til around 3-5.

• Advertisement

I don't know what time An Bodhran opens, but I had a great time the last time I was there! The music was great too, pints were decent enough too! Staff very good, much better than an brog!

I thought so. I think it was literally the worst bar I've been to in my life. On the upside, An Bodhrán sounds good for an early afternoon. The problem with the Abbots, Fran Well, Porterhouse etc. is that they don't open til around 3-5.

Is it craft beers you are after?

Yes, but a Beamish for 3 squids during the day is a solid deal.

Actually, the Vicarstown Inn is nice, they have a beer garden and all the usual suspects on tap, as well as Rebel Red and the Seven Windows stuff.

Is that what An Bodhran does? 3 euro for a Beamish? thats very good!

• Advertisement

Before 6 o'clock, yeah. All other pints are 3.50. Great deal, and Beamish is not a bad drink at all.

Actually, the Vicarstown Inn is nice, they have a beer garden and all the usual suspects on tap, as well as Rebel Red and the Seven Windows stuff.

Thanks, never been there, but will definitely be giving it a go now.

Before 6 o'clock, yeah. All other pints are 3.50. Great deal, and Beamish is not a bad drink at all.

Yeah it is a great deal, I will be adding that to my blog. Yeah I like the odd Beamish myself, at 3 euro you can't go wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,746 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Lads - Less of the chat please & try to stick to the Pub Reviews.

Ta,

tHB

The Old Oak is a large pub located on Oliver Plunkett Street, although you wouldn’t think it from the outside. It suffers the same faith as other large pubs in the way that there is no atmosphere unless the place is packed out. They often have live music and once the place gets going can be good craic. The Old Oak is also home to Cyprus Avenue, one of the most popular music venues in Cork city which attracts some relatively famous acts. I will write a review on Cyprus Avenue another day, but as for the Old Oak, it is ok. The dance floor is covered by a video camera which shows the dance floor on big screens which can be particularly entertaining watching people dance around like your dad. Drinks are cheap, pints are poor, another negative I have noticed about large pubs! Good pub to go to when it gets busy and there is a band on you like, but other than that there are better places to go!

The Hi Bar used to be the bar to the Hibernian Hotel, the hotel has since closed but the bar still remained. This pub is small, real small, its more like your grannies living room. They also have rules in this pub, no mobile phones! This does make the place interesting but it’s a bit like being back in school. There is good banter to be had in the Hi-Bar and if you are there on a Tuesday or Thursday you might be lucky enough to see Dick play his electric piano, he does requests and its great entertainment. Someone told me to always check the toilets of an establishment before eating or drinking in it and if you were to follow this mans advice then you wouldn’t dream of drinking in the Hi-Bar because the toilets are nightmareish. They are so bad, its almost famous for it, I was talking to somebody who claimed to have come across the train spotting toilet in Cork, I guessed “Was it the Hi-bar?” Yes, it was the HI-Bar! So what is the moral of the story? Don’t drink pints in the Hi-Bar and if you are drinking bottles give them a good wipe first! I can’t recommend this place to anyone, but it does make for an interesting visit!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,758 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

The Hi Bar used to be the bar to the Hibernian Hotel, the hotel has since closed but the bar still remained. This pub is small, real small, its more like your grannies living room. They also have rules in this pub, no mobile phones! This does make the place interesting but it’s a bit like being back in school. There is good banter to be had in the Hi-Bar and if you are there on a Tuesday or Thursday you might be lucky enough to see Dick play his electric piano, he does requests and its great entertainment. Someone told me to always check the toilets of an establishment before eating or drinking in it and if you were to follow this mans advice then you wouldn’t dream of drinking in the Hi-Bar because the toilets are nightmareish. They are so bad, its almost famous for it, I was talking to somebody who claimed to have come across the train spotting toilet in Cork, I guessed “Was it the Hi-bar?” Yes, it was the HI-Bar! So what is the moral of the story? Don’t drink pints in the Hi-Bar and if you are drinking bottles give them a good wipe first! I can’t recommend this place to anyone, but it does make for an interesting visit!
    The toilets in The Hi B are much improved on what they were some years ago!!

The toilets in The Hi B are much improved on what they were some years ago!!

Really? That review was based on a visit last year. Do you think its an unfair review? Does dick still play the piano there?

Really? That review was based on a visit last year. Do you think its an unfair review? Does dick still play the piano there?

I'm going back 20 years. Fair enough except I'd have no issues with drinking the pints there. Dunno about the piano player - I haven't been in a few years.

I'm going back 20 years. Fair enough except I'd have no issues with drinking the pints there. Dunno about the piano player - I haven't been in a few years.

I try to be fair, there is a vote feature on my blog to make it fairer so people can comment and vote their opinion, just in case I get it wrong. I must take another visit, its always an interesting session in the Hi-B. What would be your favourite pubs in Cork?

• Advertisement

I try to be fair, there is a vote feature on my blog to make it fairer so people can comment and vote their opinion, just in case I get it wrong. I must take another visit, its always an interesting session in the Hi-B. What would be your favourite pubs in Cork?

Abbotts Ale House, Bierhaus, Callanan's, Corner House, The Hub, Porterhouse, Fran Well, Fionbarra's, Tom Barry's all good pubs with some sort of decent beer selection.
    Reviewing pubs without mentioning the beer they sell is like reviewing restaurants without mentioning food. And I don't mean saying the guinness is good/bad/poor boloxology.
    Have a look at the Beoir finder. My go to pub finder when travelling. I wanna know what beer a pub sells first and foremost. Handy side effect is that dodgy ****eholes never serve craft beer.

• Registered Users Posts: 28 carmo13

I see the Hill got a v. good review in the Irish Indo Barfly column.
    Was there last thurs night for the trad session and would have to agree with
    the 4 star rating. great pint too!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

Anyone know of any pubs in Killarney with a good craft selection? I live here and can only think of Courtney's bar but I'm not a big fan of the place. I have afriend coming down who recently got into craft beer and would like to take him to a pub with a decent selection.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 6,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭dregin

dobman88 wrote: »
    Anyone know of any pubs in Killarney with a good craft selection? I live here and can only think of Courtney's bar but I'm not a big fan of the place. I have afriend coming down who recently got into craft beer and would like to take him to a pub with a decent selection.

Have you tried the beoir app?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

dregin wrote: »
    Have you tried the beoir app?

Will download tomorrow, thanks. I'm after getting a couple of suggestions for Killarney so shouldn't be a complete disaster.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,441 ✭✭✭Tenzor07

Just a quick note on The 57 Headline at the top of Clanbrassil Street at the SCR junction...
    Normally I drink at the Brew Dock, or Bull&Castle, nice central pubs in the city..

However, decided to take a stroll up to the Headline bar, a pub I have passed many many times and never dared to venture into..

And found now that it's under new management by the very knowledgeable owner and new staff..
    With 26 Craft beers on tap, and not a hint of Diageo in sight I knew I was onto a winner! Tried some Bru Rua, which I'm sure I'd sampled at festivals before, but this was recommended by the bar staff.
    Also tried a fresh hot free range chicken pie, nice! And cheap too..
    Inside the decor is very "homely" and with big chairs and little hideaway seating areas to the side of the bar, it looks great!
    Hip young crowd there so nice and relaxed, not a Tv in sight either so that was perfect also..

I will definitely be back!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭yknaa

Neary's on Chatham Street Dublin have upped their game and added Rebel Red on draught along with the O'Hara's range on offer. They also do smithwicks pale ale and Creans if I'm not mistaken.

• Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭thegeezer

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 5,760 Mod ✭✭✭✭irish_goat

thegeezer wrote: »

That's old news. :P

Their stuff is popping up everywhere now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭kcimd

kavanaghs(the gravediggers) at the back of glasnevin cemetery. the bar has never changed,no radio,no tv,no music,old wooden tables and benches to sit on. beautiful Guinness,great staff,a place to go to talk and have the craic. small green field outside to bring your drink out and chill out on summer nights. brilliant pub

Advertisement