Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Drink Of The Week

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,658 ✭✭✭✭The Sweeper

Right, since athena_2000 seconded WWM's nomination, Cosmo it is for this week's DOTW!

10th October 2005

Well bless my sexual revolution and make sure my lipstick matches my handbag, this weeks' DOTW is the Cosmopolitan Cocktail, enjoyed by the illustrious ladies of Sex & The City, and Whitewashman when he can find a bar that'll make them. :)

A resurrection from the 1950s, a Cosmo is a drink that's based around four things; a vodka, an orange liquer, cranberry, and lime. There are many variations on this. For instance, there's a party that will fight over Triple Sec vs. Grand Marnier vs. Cointreau. I personally prefer Triple Sec in my Cosmos, (not least because it's a Goddamnable sight cheaper than Cointreau!). Also, many recipes call for Rose's sweetened lime juice - I go with freshly squeezed.

Here's a recipe that I like for a Cosmo. Polite drinking circles would agree that I use too much cranberry in this, but I shake it over four large ice cubes and it fills a martini glass nicely. It also isn't too strongly alcoholic in taste at this measure.

1 oz vodka
    1/2 oz Triple Sec
    2 ozs cranberry juice
    1/2 oz Lime juice

Shake over four ice cubes.
    Swipe fresh lime around the rim of a clean, dry martini glass.
    Decant drinkie.
    Drink drinkie.

...make another drinkie? :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Hoora...er, Fabulous.
    An excuse to replenish the Grand Marnier and wear the knock-off Jimmy Choos!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,618 ✭✭✭Civilian_Target

Now that you mention it - I've never tried Grand Mariner except in a cocktail...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,082 ✭✭✭Tobias Greeshman

What about a Pina Colada, love this drink! mmmm! and made famous by Del Boy!!

• Advertisement

17th October 2005

Evil Phil has nominated this twice, which sort of counts as a nomination and a second. Either way it's good enough for me. This is one of those drinks that must have been invented to help relieve the stresses of a long day. Use slimline tonic if you're feeling fat as well as knackered, and you have something that's just as good as a cold beer with about one quarter of the calories.

A Long Vodka is a vodka tonic with a shake of Angostura Bitters, a secretive and unusual substance that can completely change the face of a straightforward drink. (Or a stew, incidentally, but that's more for the Food & Drink forum proper.) The usual ingredients are vodka, tonic water, ice cubes, lime and Angostura Bitters. This should be a stirred, not shaken, drink.

Put your ice cubes into a collins glass and add four dashes of Angostura bitters. Swirl the cubes about a bit so the bitters coats the glass.

Add a measure of your favourite vodka, then drop a fat wedge of lime into the drink, (giving it a good squeeze first). Top up with schweppes tonic and give it a stir. Simple but effective.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭athena 2000

Cosmo result...

After deciding to 'cheap out' and use the triple sec instead of buying Grand Marnier the Cosmo turned out well with the extra cranberry juice. For fun I included a sugar ring around the edge of the glass and considered it dessert.
    Threw the pennies saved into the "athena needs new party shoes" fund.
    You can still imbibe on a budget! :)

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

This may sound a bit gay, but like, I totally liked drinking those Cosmos, and we're talking TOTALLY here. Met up with the goys and drank about 10 or 15 each, we needed a lot of biscuits and mince pies that night. I kept losing, so I had to eat a lot of soggy biscuits. Went down okay with the Cosmos though, but the aftertaste of it in the morning combined with the borf was like, a total mare.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

kaids wrote:
    This may sound a bit gay, but like, I totally liked drinking those Cosmos, and we're talking TOTALLY here. Met up with the goys and drank about 10 or 15 each, we needed a lot of biscuits and mince pies that night. I kept losing, so I had to eat a lot of soggy biscuits. Went down okay with the Cosmos though, but the aftertaste of it in the morning combined with the borf was like, a total mare.

/smack.
    gay boy.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭Blub2k4

kaids wrote:

You're taking the mickey right?

• Advertisement

Kaids loves taking the mickey. And the day I become teetotal is the day a Moist Mike becomes DOTW.

Now, GET BACK ON TOPIC YOU SLAGS.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,156 ✭✭✭DaBreno

Not much happening for the Beers so....I'll nominate Bavaria. Works out well on the price, about 3.60 on draught at my local, 20 yoyos buys 20 cans at the Offie. A surprisingly good alternative to Henieken, tis smooth with no bitterness but not the blandness Id associate with a few of the American style beers.
    Cheap and tasty, Result!

24th October 2005

This week's DOTW as nominated by PunyHuman (and the text below is his/hers too). My only contribution to this is to say that Cachaça is also known as Aguardente. It's not really a rum, because rum's distilled from molasses whereas Cachaça is made from the juice of unrefined sugar-cane. There's something terribly moonshine about it as a drink though, so this is one for letting your hair down. Distillation time: three weeks, apparently. :eek:

Caipirinha

Ingredients:

One generous shot Cachaça (unrefined sugar-cane rum)
    One large lime
    One tablespoon brown sugar (also unrefined if available)
    Crushed ice

Preparation:

Wash the lime and cut it into eighths.
    Put the bits in a shaker and pour over the sugar.
    Mash well. I've found the end of a large wooden spoon or spatula is good.
    Add a tumbler of crushed ice.
    Add rum.
    Shake well, pour and serve.

Delicious. Best savoured al fresco on a sultry summer evening in Rio de Janeiro, but at home on a dark drizzling autumn night in Ireland comes a close second.

Don't know how much these are in pubs, but probably around six or seven euro.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 15,001 ✭✭✭✭Pepe LeFrits

Blub2k4 wrote:
    You're taking the mickey right?
    No. We're rock!!

31st October 2005

Originally nominated by DaBreno, Bavaria. Which is sort of weird for me, because I always associated Bavaria with Fosters and filed it under "crap I wouldn't drink if you gave it to me for free", but perhaps I have judged it unfairly! I will try sampling it this week. Below is DaBreno's description:

Works out well on the price, about 3.60 on draught at my local, 20 yoyos buys 20 cans at the Offie. A surprisingly good alternative to Henieken, tis smooth with no bitterness but not the blandness Id associate with a few of the American style beers. Cheap and tasty, Result!

7th November 2005

Nicked this from a thread on something totally unrelated to B/W/S, posted by tba... :D
    But I like pina coladas...

Recipe

* 1 1/4 oz. Rum
    * A good Splash each of Cream of Coconut & Pineapple juice
    * Shake with ice & serve in a Hurricane or decorative glass
    * Or blend with ice cream for frozen variation
    * Garnish with fresh pineapple wedge &/or a cherry
    * Top with whipped cream if frozen & then garnish

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Portuguese blaster....

Its coffee served with cinnamon sticks, fresh cream and rum, umm and more rum.... The cinnamon sticks taste a bit odd, and the cream can be annoying if its the ghastly gak out of a tin- but its worth it for the coffee and rum. They normally use Bacardi d'Oro (golden Bacardi) not regular rum for it. Its an excellent way to forget how much you hate Bacalhau and all the salt on everything. That and, well after a few, how to forget, well everything.

Tip- don't add sugar, and try not to stir the cream (it curdles in the rum).....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 JamesByrne979

im a cocktail barman,,we were messin around one night in work and came up wit a smashing new cocktail
    recommend anyone try it
    its called a 'southern sun'

1 shot Archers Schnapps
    1 shot Malibu
    Pinapple Juice
    Grenadine
    Tall Glass
    3-4 Ice Cubes

put ice in the glass,,pour the shots straight in..top up with the pinapple juice and give a shooter of grenadine straight into the bottom of the glass..looks massive when done right...enjoy!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Lime drops
    Fill a shotglass with half vodka, half lime juice, and consume. Such a nice shot, I like to sip it and savour it, rather than knock it back.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Powers.

Hmmm on these wintery nights.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Evil Phil wrote:
    Powers.

Hmmm on these wintery nights.

Gaaah , really Phil I am disapointed.
    Jameson at least or maybe bushmills.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Thaedydal wrote:

Bushmills makes the veins stand out on my head and Jameson is too obvious.

Okay Bushmills then. That's two votes majd!

BUSHMILLS IT IS!! For this Sunday. Though I'll have to go out of my way to find interweb access...

Thaedydal wrote:

Bull! Powers is the nicest of the < €30 whiskeys by a substantial margin. Jameson's also quite an acceptable substitutem but Bushmills is just rotten, its so abrasive and harsh! Might as well be drinking vodka! That said, Black Bush is nice, but by the time you're spending enough money to get it, you might as well buy Crested 10....

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Bull! Powers is the nicest of the < €30 whiskeys by a substantial margin. Jameson's also quite an acceptable substitutem but Bushmills is just rotten, its so abrasive and harsh! Might as well be drinking vodka! That said, Black Bush is nice, but by the time you're spending enough money to get it, you might as well buy Crested 10....
    Have to agree 100% with Civilian_Target on this one (apart from the bit about Powers, which I view as a cheap excuse of a whiskey when compared with Jameson (esp. as a 12 or 20 y.o. vintage)). The only saving grace Bushmills has- is its alcoholic- but most of us like to drink something that actually tastes nice, not drink for the sole sake of getting rat arsed. Black bush shares some of its distilling with Jameson (distilled through sherry cask charcoal)- and is an altogether more refined product that Bushmills.

S.

14th November 2005

This week's DOTW is Bushmills. I need one of the nominators to write me a blurb about Bushmills, because I have only associations, no knowledge.

I associate Bushmills with Christmas Eve. I go to the pub with my brothers. My mother has an early night with a warm milk with a shot of brandy, and she watches It's A Wonderful Life, and falls asleep.

My fathers opens a bottle of bushmills, takes the ham out of the oven and stuffs the turkey. At 12.30 he begins to take slices off the still-cooling ham, and butters a full pan of wholemeal bread. He also mixes some fresh mustard. Then he grabs a Wilbur Smith book and sits under a lamp in the kitchen, drinking Bushmills and waiting.

At 2am, myself and my siblings and any number of hangers on fall in from the pub shouting and roaring and giggling. The house smells of cooking and good whiskey. My father then makes ham sandwiches for as many as wants them (as many as there are, normally) and we eat until we're stuffed and we finish the bottle of Bushmills.

See? No knowledge. Just associations.

20 Nov, 22.15. DOTW will be Alka Seltzer inm about...

[me glances at watch]

erm/ now.

If ayone has a more valid drnk, PM me!

And if anyone has a bottel of said drink, PM me in the next two hours!

(PS: Validation: meh burfday)

Foamy

OK, so we created this concoction on Friday night, and called it "Foamy" (after the squirrell, because it's grey), and I figured, well, no-one else has come up with any great DOTW's recently :D

Ingredients
    A pint glass
    1 shot baileys
    1 shot vodka
    1 bottle WKD Blue
    ½ bottle Fanta orange

What's it like? Well, the first rule is, it's not a drink to be nursing, because after 5 mins or so it starts to curdle. But it does taste almost exactly like Double Dip (remember when you were a kid), except that it's fairly alcoholic Double Dip. But despite the bizarre ingredient list, well, no, I don't know how drinkable it is really to be honest, because I've never tried it while sober, but it is an experience.

FOAMY FOR DRINK OF THE WEEK!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,450 ✭✭✭Blisterman

That sounds nasty.

• Advertisement

Out of morbid curiosity, I want to see if anyone seconds Civilian Target's nomination before posting something else palatable.

Advertisement