Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2012 Cooking Club Week 2b: Indian Resturant curries

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭Curry Addict

Muahahaha wrote: »
    @Curry Addict, I don't suppose you have a recipe for tandoori chicken ? I've cooked it a couple of times from recipes on the web and while it's been nice I felt there was something missing compared to Indian restaurants.
    Also any ideas what they use to get the chicken such a firey red colour ? I added two tablespoons of red food dye by the last recipe I did, it coloured it a bit for sure but it felt like if I wanted to get that firey red colour you'd have to throw in a good bit of the stuff, probably triple what I did ! Is there so e other ingredient they use or just food dye ?

I'm away on holiday atm. I do have a restaurant recipe for tandoori chicken. I will root it out when I get home at the weekend. They do use food colouring for sure. I do prefer the traditional methods personally.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,587 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Nice one Curry Addict, it's the traditional method I'm after so that'd be great when you have a chance to root it out. Enjoy the your holidays :cool:

The traditional recipe is below. If you like tandoori and want to try something special this one is worth the effort ....

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=89123476

Tandoori Murgh - traditional recipe

1 full chicken(remove the skin and chop into portions)
    Salt
    1 tsp red chilli powder
    4tbs lemon juice
    100g natural yoghurt
    100g fresh cream
    5tsp ginger/garlic paste
    1tsp ground cumin
    0.5 tsp garam masala
    1tsp saffron
    1 drop of orange colour

Make deep incisions in the chicken flesh. Make a paste of salt, lemon juice and chilli powder. Rub it over the chicken flesh evenly. Note i tend to use a lot more than is recommended in the recipe(at least twice the amount).
    Set the chicken aside for at least 15 minutes to allow the marinade do its work.
    Add all the remaining ingredients to a bowl and mix well. Rub the mix into the chicken pieces and refrigerate for at least 4 hours(i recommend 24hours).
    Skewer the chicken if you have skewers(not totally necessary)
    Cook for 30mins at 200 degrees basting with butter every 10 min's. The basting is really important to keep the chicken for getting too dry.
    Last baste about 2 mins before it finishes in the oven and finish with a squeeze of lemon.

Thanks for that Curry Addict, will give it a try next week for sure

@Curry Addict tried your tandoori recipe last weekend, it was fab, thanks:)

Was going to do your lamb jalfrezi recipe this weekend from scratch. Just wondering as I don't think I have a pot big enough to hold 16 whole onions with all the rest of ingredients to make the curry base but the slow cooker is big and the onions would fit it all, however the onions would be more so sitting in shallow liquid rather than fully immersed in it, would this still work or is it important that the onions are submerged to release their sugars ? I could make half batches in smaller pot I have but would prefer get it all done in one if possible.

Also I have half a leg of lamb in the fridge and was gonna chop it down into 1 inch cubes. The recipe calls for three hours to pre cook lamb which seems like a lot? Is it done on a hobs lowest possible heat for 3 hours? If so would 3 hours in the slow cooker on low do the same job? Sorry I'm just wary of drying out the lamb which could ruin the dish.

• Advertisement

@Curry Addict tried your tandoori recipe last weekend, it was fab, thanks:)

Was going to do your lamb jalfrezi recipe this weekend from scratch. Just wondering as I don't think I have a pot big enough to hold 16 whole onions with all the rest of ingredients to make the curry base but the slow cooker is big and the onions would fit it all, however the onions would be more so sitting in shallow liquid rather than fully immersed in it, would this still work or is it important that the onions are submerged to release their sugars ? I could make half batches in smaller pot I have but would prefer get it all done in one if possible.

Also I have half a leg of lamb in the fridge and was gonna chop it down into 1 inch cubes. The recipe calls for three hours to pre cook lamb which seems like a lot? Is it done on a hobs lowest possible heat for 3 hours? If so would 3 hours in the slow cooker on low do the same job? Sorry I'm just wary of drying out the lamb which could ruin the dish.

the slow cooker should work great for making the base(i never tried it but it sounds perfect). The onions are not supposed to be submerged in liquid they are to slowly braise in a small amount of liquid so they cook very slowly. Curry base is fairly forgiving you will always make a decent curry even if not done to the letter. although when done correctly it does make a for better result.

For the lamb, again its a slow braise, it depends on the cut as to how long to cook it. the result you are looking for is a slow braised, really tender and moist lamb pieces, i would suggest checking it every 10 mins or so after 1.5 hours and judging it for yourself. I cant eat lamb so i don't cook it often.

Hope it goes well for you :)

Just had my third lamb jalfrezi in as many days and I have to say I'm yet another convert to this recipe, it is just simply delicious.

Just a quick question- do you reckon it would be possible to pre-cook large batches of chicken for freezing and use in curries as needed? Or would doing this lose a lot of the flavour? The recipe is great but I'm just keen to add some convenience to it. I had pre cooked lamb at the ready this evening which was great as I was able to have the meal on the table in less than 15 minutes. Be good to be able to manage that all the time though don't want to lose the taste either.

No harm in freezing the cooked chicken for convenience imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

You certainly can do it but cooked chicken doesn't taste great when reheated whereas lamb or beef aren't as much of a problem.

It's more pronounced with plain chicken and the spices mask it somewhat, but you still lose something.

Grand I'm gonna do that tomorrow, between freezing the meats and the curry base it actually makes the whole process very convenient and you can have an amazing curry on the table in under 15 minutes, fantastic !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 331 ✭✭cookiecakes

Made the Jalfrezi for my husband tonight and it was ''The best Indian'' he'd ever had apparently! Thanks so much for the recipe!

Hey Curry Addict, I'm having another jalfrezi weekend here, can't get enough of the stuff:)

Was just wondering when you precook your meats and you've got that liquid stock leftover afterwards have you ever done anything with it like make some sort of sauce or gravy that might go well with another dish ?

Hey Curry Addict, I'm having another jalfrezi weekend here, can't get enough of the stuff:)

Was just wondering when you precook your meats and you've got that liquid stock leftover afterwards have you ever done anything with it like make some sort of sauce or gravy that might go well with another dish ?

I have though about it but never done it. It could be used to cook rice in it by absorption, for tasty rice. Or maybe strain it and bring it up to heat in a pan and simply add some cream for a nice cream sauce.

Rice idea sounds great, must give that a try. I suppose it would work great as a gravy with just plain chicken & chips, give it a bit if curry flavour. I might give that a try and just add another tbs of the masala mix to refresh the flavour a bit and maybe thicken it with some corn flour.

I'm gonna try out your Madras recipe tomorrow, it'll be hard pulling away from the jalfrezi though:)

Rice idea sounds great, must give that a try. I suppose it would work great as a gravy with just plain chicken & chips, give it a bit if curry flavour. I might give that a try and just add another tbs of the masala mix to refresh the flavour a bit and maybe thicken it with some corn flour.

I'm gonna try out your Madras recipe tomorrow, it'll be hard pulling away from the jalfrezi though:)

the madras is better imho ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

Slightly off topic but whats the best store in Limerick to pick up ALL the spices I will need for the the base and the dishes?

the madras is better imho ;)

Would tend to agree that the madras just shades it, both it and the jalfrezi are delicious. I've enough curry base left defrosted for one more curry tomorrow evening so I might go back over he thread and dig out the vindaloo one and give that a try too.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,427 ✭✭✭Heroditas

glic83 wrote: »
    Slightly off topic but whats the best store in Limerick to pick up ALL the spices I will need for the the base and the dishes?

Asian and Arabic on 3 Parnell Street perhaps?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭glic83

I'll pop in there during the week the only other place I could think of was the chinese supermarket on Henry Street

• Registered Users Posts: 12,921 ✭✭✭✭hdowney

Couple questions. How much garlic/ginger paste is made - I also presume they are seperate pastes? - cos you use them in the gravy but also seperate from it.
    How do you store the pastes and the gravy?
    I NEED time to make these. Gonna try perhaps Wednesday

• Advertisement

hdowney wrote: »
    Couple questions. How much garlic/ginger paste is made - I also presume they are seperate pastes? - cos you use them in the gravy but also seperate from it.
    How do you store the pastes and the gravy?
    I NEED time to make these. Gonna try perhaps Wednesday

make a combined 50%garlic/50%ginger paste as this is whats used to make the base and the individual curries. 6tbs total should be enough to make the base, cook the meats and make a couple of curries. It keeps in the fridge for a week. I never bother to freeze it.

I put the base in freezer bags and portion it 6 ladles in each one(enough to make 2 curries at a time).

It isn't labour intensive to make the base. You just need to be there to tip it along.

good luck with it!

Thanks. Still hunting down a pot big enough to make the base. Heatons have one that I have been meaning to buy for SO long. Went in on Monday to buy it and NONE :(

Thanks. Still hunting down a pot big enough to make the base. Heatons have one that I have been meaning to buy for SO long. Went in on Monday to buy it and NONE :(

That's annoying. Perhaps consider buying a slow cooker instead ? You can make the base curry in it and they come in quite large sizes. Apart from that they're also fantastic at cooking cheaper cuts of meat and make them taste amazing. Large Tesco stores with an electronics department sell them for around €20-30

• Registered Users Posts: 5,387 ✭✭✭eisenberg1

That's annoying. Perhaps consider buying a slow cooker instead ? You can make the base curry in it and they come in quite large sizes. Apart from that they're also fantastic at cooking cheaper cuts of meat and make them taste amazing. Large Tesco stores with an electronics department sell them for around €20-30

Plus, you don't have to stand over it stirring.....you can leave it for hours, you really need to go out of your way for anything to burn/stick to it.

My kind of pot:D

I have a massive slow cooker (bought for Sparks Pulled Pork Recipe!!!) But do I not still need a large pot to transfer into for the last part of the base cooking?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I have a massive slow cooker (bought for Sparks Pulled Pork Recipe!!!) But do I not still need a large pot to transfer into for the last part of the base cooking?

Get this pot!

http://www.nisbets.ie/Vogue-Orange-Oval-Casserole-Dish-6.5Ltr/W485/ProductDetail.raction

17.49 (plus vat) for a 6.5 litre cast iron pot with free delivery!

I have something like that. Dunno how much it holds.

I was thinking pot like giant saucepan type that you can throw a whole live lobster into and hear it squeal!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

I have something like that. Dunno how much it holds.

I was thinking pot like giant saucepan type that you can throw a whole live lobster into and hear it squeal!!

Ah, so something like a stockpot? I have a nice big one that I got in Allrooms for around 20-25 quid a few years ago.

http://www.yelp.ie/biz/all-rooms-kitchenware-shop-dublin

a large pot etc is a good investment. your likely to get a lot of use out it.

the base is all made in the 1 pot, no need for a second one.

• Advertisement

Agree I'm gonna hang on til I get the pot cos it'l be used for everything - said lobsters!, the curry base, stews, soups, stocks etc. So yea want a good pot

Advertisement