Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What are you filthy heathens reading atm?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭8mv

Not really. I read them almost at random for the first few I read and then went back to the first and read the remaining chronologically.

The Wasp Factory was very very strange. I still wouldn't say that I enjoyed it...
    Try the Bridge. It's a mile away from the Wasp Factory and actually my favorite of all his works that I've read, over and above the Culture even. Added bonus: It's actually Banks' own favorite too. :D

I must get back to reading Banks at some stage. I liked his non-scifi books at first, especially Espedair St for some reason. And Complicity was comic in it's over the top violence. I later read the first few culture books and enjoyed them. What was the one where the chapters were shuffled - Use of Weapons? Long time ago now. I think I'll try him again.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

8mv wrote: »
    I must get back to reading Banks at some stage. I liked his non-scifi books at first, especially Espedair St for some reason. And Complicity was comic in it's over the top violence. I later read the first few culture books and enjoyed them. What was the one where the chapters were shuffled - Use of Weapons? Long time ago now. I think I'll try him again.

With the weird names it's hard to keep track. A good few have blended together in my brain.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Trying to read The Sun Also Rises by Hemmingway. I can't really get into it to be honest, but I think that's more to do with my current schedule than the book.

I've just ordered Mark Z. Danielowski's new one, and I'm really looking forward to that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Just finished reading The Opium War: Drugs, Dreams and the Making of China by Julia Lovell, and about a third of the way through A Line in the Sand: Britain, France and the Struggle That Shaped the Middle East by James Barr.

Waiting to get the next book in the Aubrey/Maturin series by Patrick O'Brian - when I get it, everything else will be put on hold, bar toilet functions and occasional naps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,018 ✭✭✭legspin

Hmmm, lot of love for Mr Banks, tbh I'm not a great fan of Sci-fi and I hate hate hated The Wasp Factory.

Does the Culture series need to be read in order?

Not really, but you should probably start with The Player of Games, if for no other reason than it is by far the easiest read. The only ones that should be read in order are Consider Phlebas and Look to Windward but only because of the link between the two.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,870 ✭✭✭doctoremma

Have just returned from holibobs, where I finished Sheepshagger by Niall Griffiths (quite possibly the bleakest, most desolate, depression-inducing book I've ever read) and started The Marhematics Of Life by Ian Stewart (standard pop science stuff, although the geometry theory is challenging me).

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

recently finished the hydrogen sonata; enjoyable, but not his best. read stones of aran: pilgrimage by tim robinson before that.

on the old ways by robert macfarlane at the moment.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

Pfft, learning.... :rolleyes:

Robert Jordan - The Wheel of Time series. Book 14 is out in January so I'm heading back through the rest in preparation.
    About 60% through Book 2, The Great Hunt.

• Moderators Posts: 51,709 ✭✭✭✭Delirium

Currently reading:

And the ass saw the angel - Nick Cave
    A storm of swords - George R.R. Martin
    Masterminds of Programming: Conversations with the Creators of Major Programming Languages - Federico Biancuzzi + Shane Warden (Author)

Recently finished:

Moonwalking with Einstein - the art and science of remembering everything - Joshua Foer
    Philosophy for Life: And Other Dangerous Situations - Jules Evans
    How to outwit Aristotle: and 34 other really interesting uses of philosophy - Peter Cave

Picked up the philosophy books as my interest in the subject was piqued as a result of reading various threads in this forum.

If you can read this, you're too close!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,718 ✭✭✭The Mad Hatter

Started something which I've been meaning to do for years: a parallel reading of The Odyssey and Ulysses. I expect it might take me a while.

Between chapters, or when I'm too tired to make sense of those, I'm re-reading old favourite Roald short stories and the like.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,305 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bluewolf wrote: »
    Just finished Atlas Shrugged
    what did you think of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,656 ✭✭✭norrie rugger

Re-reading the Hobbit (for like the 10th time)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

what did you think of it?

Loved it, thought it was great.
    Sure, could have done with some editing like the speech, but the ideas were fascinating and sometimes scarily accurate.

it's not a book i can say i've a terrible yen to read, given its reputation.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,310 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

it's not a book i can say i've a terrible yen to read, given its reputation.

Duno why it has such a rep
    Whatever you're into sure

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,202 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Re-reading Guards! Guards! by Terry Pratchett.

Recovered a battered copy of Watership Down in my granddad's house, anyone ever read it?

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users Posts: 2,247 ✭✭✭pauldla

Duno why it has such a rep
    Whatever you're into sure

I used to share a flat with a randroid...put me off reading her for life. Which is a shame, I suppose, one should make up ones own mind,etc.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Sure, could have done with some editing like the speech, but the ideas were fascinating and sometimes scarily accurate.
    Just checked the last Ayn Rand/AS thread -- I assume your copy finally arrived :) I did get around to reading Rand's Anthem a short while later, and wrote a short review. The painful act of reading around 150 pages of AS suggests that it's Anthem writ large and inexcusably long. I don't know how anybody, having started it, could ever want to finish it by some means other than windmilling it with great force, through the nearest window (a closed one would do). Stonekettle read Rand, and agreed.

Your patience is remarkable and I salute it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

The Name of the Wind by Patrick Rothfuss (fantasy). It's absolutely hooked me but it's a trilogy in progress so only 2 books at this stage. It's the first book in a while that I've had to force myself to put down.

robindch wrote: »
    Just checked the last Ayn Rand/AS thread -- I assume your copy finally arrived :) I did get around to reading Rand's Anthem a short while later, and wrote a short review. The painful act of reading around 150 pages of AS suggests that it's Anthem writ large and inexcusably long. I don't know how anybody, having started it, could ever want to finish it by some means other than windmilling it with great force, through the nearest window (a closed one would do). Stonekettle read Rand, and agreed.

Your patience is remarkable and I salute it!

I have no idea why you found it so painful. It's typically 50s-dramatic as far as I can see, and I am a picky reader. I found it fascinating to read and wanted to know what would happen, as well as finding the ideas interesting.
    Sure, the characters are a little 2d sometimes, but still able to relate to.
    Overall it was also far better than Fountainhead.

• Advertisement

what people seem to find most offputting is others treating it like a bible; which obviously would cloud critique of it purely standing on its own as a story.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,014 ✭✭✭Paddy Samurai

swampgas wrote: »
    Just finished reading:
    - The Anubis Gates (Tim Power)
    Great read,one of his top three IMO.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 42,362 Mod ✭✭✭✭Beruthiel

I am rereading The Hobbit at the moment in preparation for the film coming out in December.
    Am a big Tolkien fan.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

Here's a list of everything I have read so far this year, according to my amazon account (and the 4 I am currently reading as previously posted). Hopefully this will be useful for those of you looking for new texts.
    • A Universe from Nothing by Laurence Krauss
    • Arguably: Essays by Christopher Hitchens
    • Thomas Jefferson (Eminent Lives) by Christopher Hitchens
    • Blood, Class and Empire: The Enduring Anglo-American Relationship (Nation Books) by Christopher Hitchens
    • Hitch-22 by Christopher Hitchens
    • The Quotable Hitchens: From Alcohol to Zionism--The Very Best of Christopher Hitchens by Christopher Hitchens
    • The Enemy by Christopher Hitchens
    • Mortality by Christopher Hitchens
    • The Trial of Henry Kissinger by Christopher Hitchens
    • The Monarchy: A Critique of Britain's Favourite Fetish by Christopher Hitchens
    • Our Cosmic Habitat by Martin Rees
    • Animal Farm and 1984 by George Orwell
    • Brave New World and Brave New World Revisited by Aldous Huxley
    • The Portable Atheist: Essential Readings for the Nonbeliever by Christopher Htichens
    • Letters to a Young Contrarian (Art of Mentoring) by Christopher Hitchens
    • Why Orwell Matters by Christopher Htichens
    • The Strange Death of Liberal England by Christopher Hitchens
    • God, No! by Penn Jillette
    • Lying by Sam Harris
    • White Fang by Jack London
    • Uncle Tom's Cabin by Harriet Beecher Stowe
    • The Strange Case of Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hide by Robert Louis Stevenson
    • The Jungle Book by Rudyard Kipling
    • The Phantom of the Opera by Gaston Leroux
    • Dracula by Bram Stoker
    • A Christmas Carol by Charles Dickens
    • The Time Machine by H.G Wells
    • Surely you're joking, Mr Feynman! by Richard P. Feynman
    • The Hobbit J.R.R Tolkien
    • Nostos by John Moriarty
    • The Missionary Position by Christopher Hitchens
    • The Righteous Mind: Why Good People Are Divided by Politics and Religion by Jonathan Haidt
    • The Happiness Hypothesis: Finding Modern Truth in Ancient Wisdom by Jonathan Haidt
    • A Random Walk Down Wall Street by Burton Malkiel
    • Serious Sounds by John Moriarty
    • What the Curlew Said: Nostos Continued by John Moriarty
    • Dreamtime by John Moriarty
    • A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens
    • The Rachael Papers by Martin Amis
    • Joseph Anton: A Memoir by Salman Rushdie
    • The Salmon of Doubt by Douglas Adams
    • Facing Unpleasant Facts: Narrative Essays by George Orwell
    • The Jefferson Bible by Thomas Jefferson

Next on my list are the following:
    • Moby Dick by Herman Melville
    • Democracy in America by Alexis de Tocqueville
    Beruthiel wrote:
    I am rereading The Hobbit at the moment in preparation for the film coming out in December.
    Am a big Tolkien fan.

That's the reason I'm reading it again as well. I read it about 12 years ago, and forgot most of it if I'm honest. It's such a quick, fun, and easy read. I love it. Not sure how they are making three movies out of it though! :)

I couldn't read Moby Dick :D

I'll look at my order history too...
    Warbreaker
    By Brandon Sanderson

The Great Gatsby
    By F. Scott Fitzgerald

Moby Dick
    By Herman Melville

The Golden Key
    By Melanie Rawn

A Madness of Angels
    By Kate Griffin

The Forever War
    By Joe Haldeman

Gridlinked
    By Neal Asher

Before They are Hanged
    By Joe Abercrombie

Neuromancer
    By William Gibson

Lone Wolf
    By Jodi Picoult

The Magic Mountain
    By Thomas Mann

Sleep, Pale Sister
    By Joanne Harris

The Shadow of the Wind
    By Carlos Ruiz Zafon

Among Others
    By Jo Walton

Last Argument of Kings
    By Joe Abercrombie

Perfume
    By Patrick Süskind

Flowers for Algernon
    By Daniel Keyes

The War for Children's Minds
    By Stephen Law

Atlas Shrugged
    By Ayn Rand

The Portrait of a Lady
    By Henry James

I downloaded a few on my ipod as well & went into the shops
    Peter Hamilton! I read his latest
    Needs more books

• Registered Users Posts: 7,182 ✭✭✭Genghiz Cohen

If you find you enjoy WarBreaker I highly recommend the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson.

If you find you enjoy WarBreaker I highly recommend the Mistborn Trilogy by Sanderson.

Oh, I've read most of his books at this stage :) It wasn't bad, but not up there. The new series is looking great so far

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Am a big Tolkien fan.
    No shit, Beruthiel. How are the cats these days?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Beruthiel wrote: »
    Am a big Tolkien fan.

Tried so many times to read that book. Always found it such a chore and gave up.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,981 ✭✭✭[-0-]

I couldn't read Moby Dick :D

I started reading it but realized it is not going to be a book I can read while reading others so I put it down until I'm done with the books I'm reading at the moment. I loved the first couple of chapters though!

Advertisement