Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Frugal List of "Stuff" for Newborns

• 13-09-2014 11:11pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

As you can probably tell we've spent most of Saturday talking about baby stuff :) I'm trying to stick to a pretty rigid monthly budget at the moment. I've no problem forking out for stuff that is very good value that can be stockpiled but I do want to make sure that I'm not getting sucked into buying a half price in tesco that had been doubled in price before the offer if you get me! So I'm looking to pick the brains of everyone!

A general list of stuff that online are telling me will need is below. What I'd like to know is about what price per item (e.g. wipes) we should be paying, or any recommendations for brands etc. I'd also like to get an idea on quantities. I'm not too worried about the clothes as i know I will get gifts but I do want to have something in each size just in case. My family tend to buy big.

Having a baby is going to be expensive, I'd like to make sure I'm budgeting correctly and getting value for my money!

Clothes
    Sleepsacks
    sleepsuits
    Bodysuits (short/long sleeves)
    cardigans
    Hats
    Socks/Booties
    Coat (January baby)
    Blanket for stroller
    Blankets for at home
    Muslin Cloths
    Bibs
    Hooded towels
    Crib sheets
    Swaddlers?

Consumables etc
    Babywipes
    Nappies
    Nappy bags
    Formula
    Baby Body wash
    Bottles
    Bottle tops
    Cotton pads/swabs
    Digital thermometer
    Baby nail clippers
    Vaseline/Sudocreme
    Fever reducer (infant)
    Soft brush and comb

Edit: for clarity frugal May have been too strong a word, but I want to get good value for money. And in relation to formula if breastfeeding doesn't work I don't want to be caught on the hop

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

As you can probably tell we've spent most of Saturday talking about baby stuff :) I'm trying to stick to a pretty rigid monthly budget at the moment. I've no problem forking out for stuff that is very good value that can be stockpiled but I do want to make sure that I'm not getting sucked into buying a half price in tesco that had been doubled in price before the offer if you get me! So I'm looking to pick the brains of everyone!

A general list of stuff that online are telling me will need is below. What I'd like to know is about what price per item (e.g. wipes) we should be paying, or any recommendations for brands etc. I'd also like to get an idea on quantities. I'm not too worried about the clothes as i know I will get gifts but I do want to have something in each size just in case. My family tend to buy big.

Having a baby is going to be expensive, I'd like to make sure I'm budgeting correctly and getting value for my money!

Clothes
    Sleepsacks
    sleepsuits
    cardigans
    Hats
    Socks/Booties
    Coat (January baby)
    Blanket for stroller
    Blankets for at home
    Muslin Cloths
    Bibs
    Hooded towels
    Crib sheets
    Swaddlers?

Consumables etc
    Babywipes
    Nappies
    Nappy bags
    Formula
    Baby Body wash
    Bottles
    Bottle tops
    Cotton pads/swabs
    Digital thermometer
    Baby nail clippers
    Vaseline/Sudocreme
    Fever reducer (infant)
    Soft brush and comb

A lot of the stuff depends on the baby. There's actually very few things I would stockpile before the baby is born. For instance we went pampers all the way for the first few months and unless you get them on offer they are a mad price. I then tried a few different brands and now use Dunnes during the day and Pampers at night. Friends of ours stockpiled loads of each size of Pampers but you can't predict how quickly they'll go through the sizes. They were definitely left with a lot of size 1. We didn't bother with size 1. They gave us some of theirs but they didn't fit right on our not gigantic 8lb 2oz baby.

Different wipes suit different babies too. I know a lot of people avoid Johnson's because they find them harsh. We use Huggies Pure but I buy when they are on offer. They were 3 for 1 lately.

I breastfed in the beginning, then combined with Aptamil 1, then Aptamil 1 itself. Luckily I hadn't stocked up on it because we had to change to Aptamil anti reflux after that.

The list seems fairly good. Two things I probably wouldn't be bothered hugely with on it are too many Muslins and the swaddlers. I'm probably the exception on the muslins though. We bought loads and we rarely used them. Most people I know swear by them. As for swaddlers, we just swaddled with the cellular blankets and then moved to a gro bag after a couple of weeks. If you are like me you'll probably get a few nice fleecy/pram blankets as gifts so I don't think Id go crazy buying them either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thanks for the hints on nappies, I'm thinking one/two packs in each size maybe? As you say it's something that we'll have to assess. I was thinking similar on formula, get maybe one of a brand or two to have on hand at the start and see then?

Thanks for the hint on the three for one offer on the wipes, that's exactly the kind of thing I want to watch for, no point stocking the nursery with things that are more expensive.

• Registered Users Posts: 967 ✭✭✭highly1111

Firstly, congratulations.

A few practical tips. The baby will probably live in babygros for the first 2 months or so (6 months in my case!) - Pennys do good ones and Mothercare are great quality and are very cute. The mothercare sale is great - so keep an eye for that - would only end up a euro or two more expensive then pennys.

you'll get a million blankets - you'll need 2!

grobags are amazing - tx maxx have great bargains. TX Maxx is opening in Dundrum on September 18th so if you're dublin based I'd check there.

Don't buy any formula now - if you/your partner chose not to breastfeed, you'll be given formula in the hospital and then you can take it from there.

as a previous poster said, don't stockpile on the nappies - no more than 3/4 packs of size 1. Also, don't be a nappy snob - my first was in pampers and numbers 2 and 3 are in aldi and tesco respectively - different babies will take different nappies. a lot of parents also swear by the boots nappies that i've never tried.

I love the aldi/tesco wipes because they have a plastic lid/seal on them which means they stay moist. despite the fact, J&J are down to €1 in tescos today, I still bought the tesco wipes for this reasons.

Don't buy too many hats/gloves/socks/bootie type things - chances are the baby will rarely wear socks or booties. Invest in a good snowsuit and that'll be sufficient - that over a babygro is more than enough. We tend to think that babies can be freezing - but honestly, some people wrap their babies up to ridiculous levels. Also, you'll tend to put the same hat on the baby again and again!!

Finally, you'll have your favourite clothes - I've 3 kids and I've boxes of clothes for a range of ages - however, I tended to put them in the same things again and again - so if you really like something, then buy it - always base things on the cost per wear than just cost. I bought a couple of bargains with the "ah sure, the baby will wear them at some stage" - and they never did because i was never fond of them in the first place!

Oh, and get the epidural!!! Seriously though, congrats and good luck!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

You've loads on there that I never used/bought for either baby!

Hooded towels. What's wrong with regular towels?
    Never used booties or baby socks either. Babygros do the job.
    Never had a baby coat. Clothes/cardigan were fine with a blanket if it got extra cold. It's hard to wrestle a small baby into loads of layers! And even in winter, where is the baby going to be... Inside in warm house, inside in warm car. No coat needed for either of those. I think you are supposed to take coats off babies in car so the carseat works properly. In a sling they are toasty against you, and in buggy they will be under some blankets. Coats are really only needed when the baby can walk IMO.

I wouldn't stockpile either nappies or formula. Different nappy brands suit different babies shape. The aldi brand is best at the moment on our little lady. Also, she never even got to size 4 nappies, she was narrow-hipped, so was toilet trained before she got there. Would have been a total waste to stockpile size 4 or higher. Same goes for formula. Different brands for different babies. Obviously it is more frugal to breastfeed...

Bibs and muslins, some babies are spitters or have reflux and use loads... Some babies barely need a couple. Really hard to know in advance.

Swaddlers the same. Some like to be swaddled, some don't. That said, I swaddled with muslins or an ordinary cellular blanket. All you do is fold the fabric into a triangle and off you go. No dedicated swaddler thing required.

Wipes, i don't use too many of these either actually... Prefer a damp facecloth for wiping face and hands, I know people can go through them very fast. I use maybe one or two per day for the dirty nappy. Anyway, price-wise the multipacks 6 packs for 5 euro is ok I think. Generally don't want to pay more than a euro for a pack of wipes. None of mine ever reacted to any brand, but some people's babies do I think.

Nappy bags, i have one pack of nappy bags that has lasted me 6 months, because I put fold up dirty nappies and put them in the bin without a bag, unless I'm out. I also use reusable nappies sometimes... Not at night, or for dirty nappies (this baby is very regular, dirty nappy at same time everyday!). I was lucky enough to be given these, not sure how much they cost.

Cotton swabs I think are a substitute for wipes/cloths? I was given some in a baby basket for baby 1, and they are still here. I still have no idea what to do with them. They might end up in a homemade halloween costume.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,032 ✭✭✭SmokeyEyes

Clothes
    Sleepsacks
    sleepsuits
    cardigans
    Hats
    Socks/Booties
    Coat (January baby)
    Blanket for stroller
    Blankets for at home
    Muslin Cloths
    Bibs
    Hooded towels
    Crib sheets
    Swaddlers?

Consumables etc
    Babywipes
    Nappies
    Nappy bags
    Formula
    Baby Body wash
    Bottles
    Bottle tops
    Cotton pads/swabs
    Digital thermometer
    Baby nail clippers
    Vaseline/Sudocreme
    Fever reducer (infant)
    Soft brush and comb

The midwives in hospital only recommended one type of wipes and that was water wipes. They're amazing so although they're €2 or €2.99 depending on where and when you get them, they're the best wipes you can use. Apart from that, cotton wool and cool boiled water is perfect for cleaning after wee nappies so keep that in mind too!

There's a baby event coming up in Aldi on the 18th which is great!

https://www.aldi.ie/en/specialbuys/thursday-18-september/

From that I can recommend the cellular blankets (they have holes so baby can't smother) their muslin cloths, their Tommy Tippee bottles which we bought just before our baby was born at their last baby event and which are brilliant and cheaper than anywhere else, Avent soothers are great, their hooded towels and their Vaseline, Sudo and Aqueous cream are cheaper than anyone else and we still have loads left from when we bought them months ago!Their bodysuits are also a good size and last well and they have a well priced thermometer and baby bag which are two essentials! You don't need any baby bath stuff either really, the midwives didn't recommend anything at the start and now a few months in we're using a baby emollient in the bath with him (he's 2 and a half months)!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Oh, i should have said get a few packs dummys. We go through loads of these for some reason. First baby was chewy, bit through loads of them, and second baby is a flinger, so there are dummies in woods and parks that I can't find!

Same on the baby wash stuff, we just used water. Tiny pea sized amount of my ordinary shampoo when baby finally got some hair (age 20 months).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,585 ✭✭✭lynski

Ikea muslins are by far the best if you are near there.
    breastfeeding is the most frugal in terms of feeding costs and long-term medical costs - please feel free to pm me if uou have any questions
    consider cloth nappies? if you bought 1 or 2 a week now you would have a supply that would cover the child for the duration?
    alternately i used tesco newborn for the last 2 and then onto aldi and no bother.
    Used cotton wool and water only for the first few months on all, i think it was booots or tescos that were the best, aldi used to be but they dont do their pleat anymore.
    just water unless they are icky, then we always use naked bodycare products for everyone, reasonably priced natural stuff.
    dont hesitate to accept hand-me-downs or use charity shops or adverts, especially for newborns/young babies as they hardly wear any clothes out and once you wash them you will know they are clean.
    again back to aldi for their non-bio tabs, no perfume and clean well.
    sling instead of a pushchair, look to babywearing ireland for info on the sling library and their info event on 28th sept
    co-sleep instead of crib, once you are non-smokers and sleep safely, search for guidelines. again a hand-me-down cot is fine but you will need a new matress
    Make a list and when someone asks what you want tell them or show them, they will be happier and so will you. Or get friends to bring you freezer meals instead of baby gifts, the girl who came to me with a bag of ikea meatballs and mash, chocolates and handcream as a baby gift has a special place in my heart.

and of course, congratulations! relax and enjoy, all the baby needs really is you, a nappy or two and a bed for the first few weeks.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

I have 3 January babies .
    A snow suit is a must , as is a warm hat .
    Nappies - size 2 Boots 3 for 2 offers
    Wipes - Huggies in the brown or green packets or the Lidl purple packet . I usually get them for around a euro a packet .
    A car seat (prob the most expensive item )
    Muslin squares
    Tommee Tippee bottles are on offer in Tesco
    Bibs
    Blankets or baby sleeping bags .
    Somewhere for baby to sleep
    A bouncer
    A packet of vests
    A packet of baby gros

• Closed Accounts Posts: 500 ✭✭✭indigo twist

I'm just going to go through your list and give you my own experience ...

Clothes
    Sleepsacks -
    you'll use only cellular blankets the first couple of months - I think Guineys do these quite cheap. The recommendation is to use one folded in half for the first couple of months, I would buy 3-4 in case you have a pukey baby and end up having to change it a few times during the day/night. I'd hold off on buying the sleepsacks for a while - some babies are always too hot, some babies are always too cold, so you may end up buying only 1togs or only 2.5togs etc. So what I'd advise is just a couple of cellular blankets to start off with.

sleepsuits -
    yes. Lots of them! Look out for ones that button up the front as opposed to ones that go over the head - very important! Ideally get ones that have scratch mitts incorporated - I was never comfortable with the idea of leaving separate scratch mitts on in the moses basket, in case they'd come loose and end up in his mouth during the night. May be worth spending a little extra on these as they'll be worn a lot and washed a lot. Mothercare have the ones with scratch mitts - far too expensive at full price, but if you go to the one in Charlesville (if you're in Dublin) they have a massive sale section all year round with brilliant bargains on this sort of thing.

Bodysuits (short/long sleeves) -
    We found short-sleeves were best when they were younger, for under the sleepsuits, and only started using the long-sleeved ones when he got to around 6months+, to put on as an extra layer under Tshirts. It's very hard to get a sleepsuit on over a long-sleeved sleepsuit when you've a wriggly baby - the sleeves end up all bunched up together! So I'd avoid long-sleeved ones for the first few months, unless you have a very cold house.

cardigans -
    nope, never used one once. Just not necessary.

Hats -
    You will need one or two for hospital, but not once you get home. Even if you're going out of the house, a little hooded jacket would be much better ... if you're in the car alone with baby, you don't want to be worrying about the hat falling off and him stuffing it into his mouth etc, when you can't see him in the back seat (it happened me once, thankfully no harm done, but it made me see how easily and quickly these things happen! It was hoods from then on!)

Socks/Booties -
    maybe it's just us, but we got sooooo many socks as presents for 0-6 months ... barely ever used. Now he's in creche, he needs them every day, but is always running out! I'd hold out on buying socks - get them if you find you need them, but in my opinion it's unlikely. Booties - I never once used these, personally I love little proper shoes/trainers etc on tiny babies if dressing them up, so cute!, these are very cheap in Dunnes for very cool ones (but definitely a luxury, not a necessity!) You'll probably get some as presents anyways.

Coat (January baby) -
    yip. And definitely a coat rather than one of those big puffy winter all-in-one yokes, far too awkward, and too warm, considering baby will be all wrapped up under a blanket anyways. Buttons may be better than zips (the top of the zip may irritate around the chin/neck. Penneys might be a good place to buy - in general I don't find their clothes wash very well, but this is something you hopefully won't be washing too often, and it would be a pity to spend a lot of money on something they'll grow out of very quickly.

Blanket for stroller
    Blankets for at home
    - I can almost guarantee you you'll get an abundance of blankets as presents! I would definitely hold out on buying any blankets for now. Also, this is the type of thing you could get great value on if you use Adverts.ie etc.

Muslin Cloths
    Bibs
    - We have a pukey baby, we couldn't (and still can't) have enough of either of these. However you might get lucky, so I wouldn't stock up too much in advance, unless you see any great deals! Guineys are good.

Hooded towels
    - Nope. We got a few as presents alright, and we use them because they're there, but zero need for them. Use a normal towel, and then re-use for your own shower.

Crib sheets
    - We had a moses basket, we only ever used pillow cases as sheets for both the moses basket mattress and the pram mattress. I imagine they'd fit a crib too ... however my advice is to skip the basket and crib and put baby straight into the cot or cot-bed - no reason not to. Definitely don't waste money on crib sheets if pillow cases will fit, at least you'll use them again!

Swaddlers?
    - I don't know what a swaddler is, so I'm going to say it's not essential anyways!

Consumables etc
    Babywipes
    - If I were on a superstrict budget, cotton wool and water works out a lot cheaper. That's all a lot of parents use, and that's what's used in his creche. Also best for babies with sensitive skin. If baby doesn't have sensitive skin, try out the supermarket own-brands.

Nappies
    - Keep an eye on the Bargains thread on the Newborn & Toddlers forum, you'll get great bargains and reviews there

Nappy bags
    - No harm having a box for when you're out and about (no need to use these at home, except for real stinkers!) Go for whatever you can find cheapest (don't necessarily need to be specific nappy bags, a box of small plastic bags will do the job.

Formula
    - If you're exclusively formula-feeding, definitely SMA or C&G rather than Aptimel. Aptimel is much more expensive, but the advantage is that it's closest to breastmilk so best for combined feeding ... SMA and C&G are heavier, so stay down easier. SMA is most likely to be on offer in the 6month+ range. Oh and always have at least a couple of cartons of pre-made formula in the press - just in case. You never know when an emergency (baby-related or otherwise) might arise, you'll be happy to have them there.

Baby Body wash
    - We were advised to wash only with water for at least the first month. I'd hold off on buying this until you know if your baby has sensitive skin.

Bottles
    Bottle tops
    - No idea what's best/cheapest ... most brands are often on offer ... look out for Aldi/Lidl sales, they often have the big brands for cheap. We got a Tommee Tippee set half price in the Christmas sale in Mothercare. Also, don't forget to include a steriliser in your budget! Try not to go for a brand-specific one that only fits certain bottles, as you may end up needing to change bottles e.g. if baby has reflux. We got the Mothercare steriliser (which was also half-price at the time), it fits any bottles as well as soothers toys etc.

Cotton pads/swabs
    - as above, handy to use instead of wipes. Also useful for topping & tailing etc. Tesco own-brand etc are probably cheapest.

Digital thermometer
    I mentioned to a mother the other day how this was the one baby purchase I was so happy I splashed out on, she was shocked! She has two toddlers and has never once used a thermometer, and if she did it would have been a normal underarm one she used. The thing is, with the underarm/mouth ones, you need to hold a squiggly hot cranky baby very still for at least a couple of minutes. Far easier said than done! A digital thermometer will take the temperature in a second, no need to even wake the baby. I wouldn't say it's an essential, but it's a really good thing to have. Look out for sales, also it's possible you'd pick up one cheaply secondhand.

Baby nail clippers
    - yip

Vaseline/Sudocreme
    - I'd say we've used sudocreme/bepanthin maybe 5-6 times in total on our eight-month-old. Other babies need them at every change. I'd hold off on spending money on these, it really depends on the baby. Even if you do end up needing them, it mightn't be until the baby starts eating/teething/etc.

Fever reducer (infant)
    Neurofen and Calpol. Neurofen for pain, Calpol for temperature. You can alternate these, just make sure you follow dosage instructions, and ring a pharmacy (any pharmacy) if you're ever unsure. But do make sure you have a bottle (or three!) of each in the house, rather than looking for a 24-hour chemist in a panic at 3am some morning!

Soft brush and comb
    - Yup - lots of babies don't have hair, but these will be needed at some point! Just go for cheapest possible, pound shop etc.

Other essentials.
    - Buy a pack of baby spoons, if you see them on offer (you obviously won't need them straight away, but handy to have them there when the time comes.)
    - Snuffle Baby is a gel you put on their chest if they have a cold, which they're very likely to have at some point, good thing to have in the cupboard.
    - Soothers (if you plan on using them) ... I'm very fussy about using only orthodontic soothers (no idea if it makes a difference, but anyways!) ... Tommee Tippee, Avent, MAM, all the big brands are on buy-one-get-one-half-price in Boots at the moment. Soothers are surprisingly expensive - like, really expensive - and disappear into nowhere all the time, for us anyways. So I would advise to stock up if you see them on offer, BUT on the other hand some babies just don't take soothers, so keep that in mind!
    - Good to have things on hand for teething - Neurofen is great, but best not to go straight to that! Bonjela is good but controversial, make sure to read dosage instructions. Teetha gel is brilliant, keep it in the fridge and put a bit on the soother.
    - Look out for ice-cube trays with silicone bottoms - to freeze pureed portions of veg etc. Homestore & More usually have these. Buy labels, too, if you don't already have some!

OK there are probably a million and seventeen other "essentials" that are far more important, but those are the only ones coming to mind at the moment! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

Clothes
    Sleepsacks- I bought the "gro company" ones, you can get them in tk maxx €23 or online I got 2 for €33. I would get 2 in 2.5 tog 0-6 months.

sleepsuits - I would get 5 up to 1 month, then 6 in each size. I find m & a to be the best and end up at around €10 per pack in sale. (Similar to penneys/dunnes full price) I also have tesco ones I got in the sale for €4.50 and they are grand but you won't get as long out of them! I bought a pack of 2 "grosuits" which I find great for my January baby.

Bodysuits- I only used long sleeved ones until may! I buy two packs of 5 in each size. I buy tesco ones and they are grand. I get them in the sale for max €3.

cardigans- I found these hard to get! I ended up finding them in penneys. I bought 3 in 0-3m. They were super cheap maybe €4 each (full price). They were great to put over baby grow.

Hats- we weren't allowed to put these on in hospital. I bought a pack of 2 cotton hats in dealz €1.49 for both, they were Winnie the Pooh and a 2 pk of matching scratch mittens for €1.49. Both were a waste of time and money! I would recommend a winter hat though! We got one in next in the sale for €3.50.

Socks/Booties- I only buy plain socks that are all the same as socks in my house develop legs and walk!!! I get the socks in tesco and I buy 2 pairs of identical booties again in tesco.

Coat (January baby)- we buy the coats in m and s or next in sale and pay less than €10. I bought a snowsuit but was too afraid to put it on as they are too puffy for car seat! The coats we had look like knitted cardigans but are thicker and have a fleece like fabric inside and ears on the hood.

Blanket for stroller- cellular blankets in guineys are brill. I think they were 2 for €5. We got a footmuff with travel system.

Blankets for at home- cellular blankets guineys 2 for €5.

Muslin Cloths- we got them in ikea and only used them to put over Moses basket/pram sheet in case baby got sick. We never ever use them now!

Bibs- I like Velcro closing ones that are thick, ideally with a plastic type backing. Penneys have them at the mo as do dealz. Baby elegance have a fab set of 7 for €10.

Hooded towels- we got the from littlewoods €5 in the sale. I find I am using a normal bath towel now as they are too small! I also found it hard to manouver getting the hood on his head when I bath him by myself!

Crib sheets- check your measurements! I found guineys great quality and the cheapest.

Swaddlers?- we got them as presents but never used them!

Consumables etc
    Babywipes- I used cotton wool and water. I did have a pack for water wipes which are €2 but don't find them any different to huggies pure/simple ones. Aim to pay max €1 per pack.

Nappies- aim to pay 10c max per nappy. Aldi are brill in size 1 and 2. I only used 3 pks for size 1.

Nappy bags- I just buy the cheapo tesco everyday ones. They are grand. The normal tesco ones are really really nice they are in a yellow pack.

Formula- I expressed my milk then combo feed with aptimal. I wouldn't buy anything yet! Wait and see what the story is when you have the baby.

Baby Body wash- we use the yellow Johnson's, buy it when it's on half price €1.99. It lasts forever as we only used water for the first while.

Bottles- I would buy the 6 pk or tommee tippee ones to start with they are €8.49 in argos at the mo. Mothercare will price match. You may end up needing dr browns etc, who knows but they are a bargain.

Bottle tops- I don't know what they are??

Cotton pads/swabs- I use the circle ones for taking off your make up. I love the aldi ones.

Digital thermometer- braun thermoscan buy on amazon for around €30ish.

Baby nail clippers- I bought them from guineys. Sam McCauley online is doing nice ones and free delivery.

Vaseline/Sudocreme- aldi ones are brill.

Fever reducer (infant)- is this calpol?

Soft brush and comb- I got it in guineys but again check ours am mcauley online. They are only a few euro[/QUOTE]

• Advertisement

I love how Millem and I did basically the same thing, but with completely conflicting advice on a lot of points ... I think the moral of the story is, every baby is different, do as much research as possible into everything you want to buy, but buy as little as possible until the need arises! :D

I love how Millem and I did basically the same thing, but with completely conflicting advice on a lot of points ... I think the moral of the story is, every baby is different, do as much research as possible into everything you want to buy, but buy as little as possible until the need arises! :D

Hahaha!! And our babies are the same age!!
    I didn't get any presents of blankets!! I just got loads and loads of clothes!
    I agree aptimal is the dearest formula, we didn't really know what we were doing with formula tbh! Making those bottles was so stressful that I bought thàt prefect prep machine with was essential for my sanity!!!

I would buy a baby monitor, we just got a bt one as didn't want the anglecare/video ones.

You will need a steriliser too, symths/argos usually do the tommee tippee one for €30.

Oh and we got a digital room thermometer too

My baby refuses a soother no matter which brand I try!

Was just thinking the same thing :D

With regards to the bibs, we were advised to go for the Velcro ones too. I got a few and they were handy when she was very small but they lost their 'stick' quite quickly. Also, they tended to stick to everything when I put them in the washing. I changed to the ones with the poppers very quickly.

Roesy wrote: »
    Was just thinking the same thing :D

With regards to the bibs, we were advised to go for the Velcro ones too. I got a few and they were handy when she was very small but they lost their 'stick' quite quickly. Also, they tended to stick to everything when I put them in the washing. I changed to the ones with the poppers very quickly.

Our Velcro ones are still going strong after 8 months :) I close them when I put into the washing machine. My OH refuses to use the poppers!!

Millem wrote: »
    Our Velcro ones are still going strong after 8 months :) I close them when I put into the washing machine. My OH refuses to use the poppers!!

Problem is when they get to the stage of working out how to use the poppers and velcro! Our boy is at that stage now, bibs that tie with strings at the back work best, because he can't undo them.

Side velcro ones were always my favourite in the early months. I don't know why but I always hated the poppers and much preferred velcro all along!

Problem is when they get to the stage of working out how to use the poppers and velcro! Our boy is at that stage now, bibs that tie with strings at the back work best, because he can't undo them.

Side velcro ones were always my favourite in the early months. I don't know why but I always hated the poppers and much preferred velcro all along!

Did you try the over the head ones? I see them in tesco and the are really big bibs. I have never tried them as I don't like putting things over his head!!!

I got Penneys ones and they were fine for a while. Would remember to tie the Velcro most of the time while washing them but my husband never remembered! He would have been the same about not using the poppers in the first few months too though. I would buy side Velcro for the early days again I suppose. It's funny, at 10 months, baby hardly ever has a bib on now unless she's eating.

Roesy wrote: »
    I got Penneys ones and they were fine for a while. Would remember to tie the Velcro most of the time while washing them but my husband never remembered! He would have been the same about not using the poppers in the first few months too though. I would buy side Velcro for the early days again I suppose. It's funny, at 10 months, baby hardly ever has a bib on now unless she's eating.

I only use a bib for feeding too!! Are they meant to wear them the whole time??

I only use a bib for feeding too!! Are they meant to wear them the whole time??

I just see some kids with them on the whole time. We even forget sometimes when she's eating! Going to have great craic getting blueberry stains out off her pj top from this morning. 'Tis only a pancake' says himself. 'What mess can she make with that?' We now know that the answer is a lot of a mess!! She has a purple top and a lovely purple streak in her hair. Thought my days of mad hair colours were years away :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,751 ✭✭✭mirrorwall14

Thank you everyone, its great to get the feedback on what is/isn't needed, good brands and particularly the price per item idea (10c per nappy etc), thats the kind of ongoing info I'd like to have! I don't plan on massively stockpiling anything but I also don't really want to have to be running/sending someone running to the shop for something I could have had on hand beforehand, particularly since last minute purchases never allow time for thinking/saving

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

One of our biggest savings has been using cloth nappies and wipes. For about €300 we've had two toddlers in nappies and wipes and we could've done it even more cheaply if we'd known about the second hand market for nappies sooner. Also far better for the environmentand no need for nappy creams.

lazygal wrote: »
    One of our biggest savings has been using cloth nappies and wipes. For about €300 we've had two toddlers in nappies and wipes and we could've done it even more cheaply if we'd known about the second hand market for nappies sooner. Also far better for the environmentand no need for nappy creams.

Can I ask - as a matter of interest - how time-consuming is this? For me, I honestly can't imagine that the time and effort spent would be less than the expense of disposable wipes and nappies.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭lazygal

Can I ask - as a matter of interest - how time-consuming is this? For me, I honestly can't imagine that the time and effort spent would be less than the expense of disposable wipes and nappies.

It's about two washes a week and ten minutes stuffing nappies. No trouble at all and the savings are immense. When abroad I had to use disposable nappies and wipes and the waste and expense was unbelievable. If people knew how cheap and easy cloth nappies and wipes are they'd use them. Couldn't be arsed having to put out bins every week and search for prices of disposable nappies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭ Kyle Long Splendor

Clothes
    Sleepsacks
    sleepsuits
    cardigans
    Hats
    Socks/Booties
    Coat (January baby)
    Blanket for stroller
    Blankets for at home
    Muslin Cloths
    Bibs
    Hooded towels
    Crib sheets
    Swaddlers?

Consumables etc
    Babywipes
    Nappies
    Nappy bags
    Formula
    Baby Body wash
    Bottles
    Bottle tops
    Cotton pads/swabs
    Digital thermometer
    Baby nail clippers
    Vaseline/Sudocreme
    Fever reducer (infant)
    Soft brush and comb

Edit: for clarity frugal May have been too strong a word, but I want to get good value for money. And in relation to formula if breastfeeding doesn't work I don't want to be caught on the hop

We had a february baby and we didn't bother with a coat, we bought a few warm pramsuits for out and about and used fleecy blankets when going visiting friends and family. As far as stockpiling nappies/baby wash/formula, I wouldn't bother because the brand you buy might not agree with your baby. We had to switch formula twice and we ended up lumbered with a load of pampers that didn't suit our baby. Muslin cloths are soooo handy, especially if you have a super spewy/mucusy/dribbly baby :o Same goes for bibs. If you are going to buy a digital thermometer, I would invest the money and buy a really good quality one. We wasted money on 2 cheaper ones in a row that turned out to be useless before spending €30 on a braun thermoscan that was on special offer on amazon, it is well worth the money :) Also, guineys do fab little nail clipper sets for 2 or 3 euro.

• Registered Users Posts: 418 ✭✭newtoboards

Get a playmat with stuff hanging over baby. You'll get months out of it if there's stuff above them to keep them occupied and a friend may be able to help with it. I've just given mine away to an expectant mam as it is in very good condition.
    A snowsuit is worth it for winter months and we got one in tesco for €8.
    We had a baby with bad reflux so lots of muslin (multipacks in mothercare). We use the tesco snap on bibs and love them. They were great for the reflux in the early days and now for our drool monkey who is getting teeth for what seems like forever. Yes I am one of those people whose baby goes out with a bib on all the time.
    A tube of lanolin (I have lansinoh brand) is so worthwhile as we use it now on his neck to protect from the drool and for sore eczema fingers as it can be eaten.
    I love avent soothers because they have a cover. A bottle of good old fashioned Milton is really handy too. Great for cleaning, cold sterilisation if power goes and if you have a baby with bad eczema for bathing to ward off infection.
    Have a box of formula in the house and bottles with a steriliser in case breastfeeding doesn't work out or you choose to pump. Organise to rent a hospital grade pump too. It was a pure lifesaver to have it already in the house when I came home.
    I use waterwipes still and stockpile them every time they're on offer (again stupid eczema) but you could happily survive with just sterile water and cotton wool; with the breastfeeding nappies to be an all over the place smelly and sticky affair I found the cotton wool and water approach not to be for me so the wipes were amazing.
    I used surgical spirits to dry up the belly button but it's not necessarily recommended.

Other things that are handy for when they are a little older:
    Calgel for teething
    Baby olbas oil
    Baby vicks
    Paralink
    Calamine lotion
    Baby friendly moisturiser (aveeno and epaderm is what we use when not using a steroid cream)
    Boots baby sponges

• Registered Users Posts: 2,753 ✭✭✭comongethappy

I'm being induced tomorrow, so I might be able to add to this more in a few weeks time! But one thing I would say is don't buy any newborn clothes. Most only do 7-8 lbs, I know a couple moms who never got to use theirs.

They have had a feel for the size of my baby and think he'll be over 8 lbs, so I don't know if I will get to use any of mine. I have a bag overflowing of all newborn sizes, I didn't buy one item of it, all gifts!

On the other hand, I was worried we'd have no newborn stuff, so my sister - knowing this - bought a pack of newborn babygros from mothercare. He was seven pounds three, and they were huge on him! I'm sure we'd have gotten plenty of wear out of them if they hadn't been nicked when I was still in Holles St. :/ Thankfully my favourite one - the one used for his all-important first photo - wasn't taken, it had already been taken home. Other than this though, only two people brought us newborn sized gifts.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,445 ✭✭✭bovril

I'm being induced tomorrow, so I might be able to add to this more in a few weeks time! But one thing I would say is don't buy any newborn clothes. Most only do 7-8 lbs, I know a couple moms who never got to use theirs.

This is advice I got too. If you get 0-3 months they might be a bit big but they will fit. If you need newborn size pick some up when the baby is born.

If you need lansinoh cream, Tesco and boots were the best value. 11ish to 13.99 for a tube. One pharmacy in Dub city centre were charging 20.99 for the exact same size tube!!

They have had a feel for the size of my baby and think he'll be over 8 lbs, so I don't know if I will get to use any of mine. I have a bag overflowing of all newborn sizes, I didn't buy one item of it, all gifts!

I didn't buy any newborn stuff but did have 0-1 month which I think goes up to 10lbs. They were brill for the first 2 weeks as 0-3 was far too big especially when he was all curled up

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭Calm Down Brah

With nappies you can get size 2 pampers baby dry for I think 30 pounds on amazon for like 240 nappies. A months supply. And you can have a monthly delivery straight to your door, no delivery charges either. The same for wipes and nappy cream. Much cheaper than supermarkets, if I'm right to buy nappies, cream and wipes (700!!) it would cost 50 a month vs 130 a month in tesco :)

Advertisement