Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Does "sord" mean "pure"?

• 20-08-2014 7:13pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭

Hello everybody,
    While I was reading a page on the history of Swords (co. Dublin) I found that its Irish name, Sord, would mean "pure, clear" in English, but when I check my two Irish-English dictionaries I cannot find any "sord" in the Irish section, and "pure" in Irish is "glan" according to my dictionaries.
    So, does the word "sord" exist and mean something?
    Thanks so much!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Hello everybody,
    While I was reading a page on the history of Swords (co. Dublin) I found that its Irish name, Sord, would mean "pure, clear" in English, but when I check my two Irish-English dictionaries I cannot find any "sord" in the Irish section, and "pure" in Irish is "glan" according to my dictionaries.
    So, does the word "sord" exist and mean something?
    Thanks so much!

For all placename-related queries, www.logainm.ie is the place to go. Here are the supporting documents for the entry Sord/Swords and 'pure' is indeed given as one of the meanings in the impressive 15 pages of historical documentation behind the placename.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,307 ✭✭✭Irish Stones

Didn't know that website, it's amazing!
    Thanks so much for the precious tip and info!

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

Pure it is but just to add that in Middle-Irish 'sord' meant bright.

• Registered Users Posts: 343 ✭✭pandoraj09

I think the "proper" Irish translation of Swords is sord na rí...

pandoraj09 wrote: »

Could I ask you, please, more about this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,529 ✭✭✭gaiscioch

Could I ask you, please, more about this?

Read the 15 pages of historical documentation on the logainm link and you'll find all the known history from the Placenames Database of the origin of the name. Scroll down this page and click on where it says 'taifid scanáilte (15)'. That will bring you to 15 very interesting pages of scanned records concerning the history of the placename - including page 8 where a discussion of Sord Cholmcille, referring to a pure holy well reputedly blessed by Colmcille, is recorded. The only thing appearing similar to 'Sord na Rí" is a record of 'Sordraige' on page 12. All of the discussions are referenced so you can consult the referenced work for more. And, in that, you'll know more about the name than most residents of Sord.

• Registered Users Posts: 941 ✭✭✭An gal gréine

pandoraj09 wrote: »

Would you be mixing it up with Nás na Rí, the proper name for Naas?
    They have simplified it to An Nás in recent decades!

gaiscioch wrote: »
    The only thing appearing similar to 'Sord na Rí" is a record of 'Sordraige' on page 12. All of the discussions are referenced so you can consult the referenced work for more. And, in that, you'll know more about the name than most residents of Sord.

The "-raige" part of that name seems to be meaning something to do with an animal, it says something about a ram.
    How is it possible to get to the referenced work from those scanned pages?

Advertisement