Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bringing Marshall Combo to US, can I change the transformer?

• 07-07-2006 9:47am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭

OK so I have a VS100-R. Im moving to the states at the end of the year. Can I change the transformer to use this fine amp in the states?

Is it even worth shipping it over and changing the transformer, or should I sell it here and get a new amp in the US?

I checked on the back and it doesnt say its dual voltage. Unless it is and it just doesnt say so :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

I imagine you'll probably have no difficulty picking one up cheap over there. Not worth the trouble of messing with the electronics, tbh

• Registered Users Posts: 6,949 ✭✭✭SouperComputer

Doctor J wrote:
    I imagine you'll probably have no difficulty picking one up cheap over there. Not worth the trouble of messing with the electronics, tbh

Kinda what I was thinking, its my first marshall so its of (minor) sentimental value.

Still surprised that the Amps aren't dual voltage, bearing in mind that have to travel the world and all.

• Registered Users Posts: 716 ✭✭✭gaffmaster

American Voltage is lower than ours, so i dont think it would damage it, but it might not work as powerfully!

When i was in the states, the girls all had to buy new hair dryers because they only blew at half the speed with half the heat. i.e. 240V in Ireland, 120V in USA.

So your amp might not dry your hair is what i'm trying to say!

They run half the volts, but also at 50hz too. Id say the likes of reverb and whatnot might be a bit fudged with the lower voltage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Just sell the amp, as the moment you step onto the shores of the New World, you will be showered with wealth unimaginable, it will be 78 and sunny everyday, and your acne will clear up.

The reason the leprechaun is so popular in Ireland is because there's only one pot of gold in all of Ireland. Over here, practically everyone owns a French-Canadian (roughly leprechaun-sized) with a pot of gold in tow.

At least that's what they told immigrants in the 1800's.

Seriously, as soon as you settle in, hit a local Guitar Center, the veritable supermarket of music, and you won't believe what you can pick things up for. No VATs, no waiting endless weeks for affordable equipment to reach you online. And the variety is outrageous.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,848 ✭✭✭✭Doctor J

No more "foightin' paypul fer ther lucky chaaarms" either :p

You guys speak sense, its just nice to hear it from someone else.

My wife is from the US, ive been there a good few times and yes, the choice and price of stuff is amazing. I just wanted to be sure I wasnt being too nostalgic :) Might pickup somthing on musiciansfriend.com

So whats a VS100R worth with a footswitch? I put it in the B&S for €250 for the laugh, tis on the high side but you gotta try!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,217 ✭✭✭Rustar

Musiciansfriend is the online 'sister company' of Guitar Center.
    Anything you see at musiciansfriend.com Guitar Center will either have, or can get it shipped to the store at no extra cost.

Advertisement