Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Advice needed for website development

Options
  • 05-11-2013 2:51am
    Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭

Im looking for a web designer/developer to create a "mock website". I need 6 pages created so i can use that to get investment to build the site proper. Full payment will be given for the work and the potential for further work once i get investment!
    Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,801 ✭✭✭cormee

Full payment will be given for the work and the potential for further work once i get investment!

Work on the basis you *might* get paid?

How about no.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

I *think* the OP may mean you'll get paid for the work and you'll potentially then get more work depending on investment.

Otherwise Simon's Pie Chart

I *think* the OP may mean you'll get paid for the work and you'll potentially then get more work depending on investment.

Otherwise Simon's Pie Chart

I know exactly what he's saying! And it roughly translates (in most cases) to "You'll never see a penny, matey."

I do like that link, but I have to say I prefer the Missing Cat Poster page .:cool:

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭rovoagho

So you're saying you work without deposits and contracts?

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭monthehoops

cormee wrote: »
    I know exactly what he's saying! And it roughly translates (in most cases) to "You'll never see a penny, matey."

I do like that link, but I have to say I prefer the Missing Cat Poster page .:cool:

Yeah the Missing Cat is a belter, as is the Spider one

• Advertisement

Yeah the Missing Cat is a belter, as is the Spider one

Had completely forgotten about the seven legged spider. Love that one

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I read simons pie charts. had me in stitches.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 16,402 ✭✭✭✭Trojan

To answer the original poster:
    Im looking for a web designer/developer to create a "mock website". I need 6 pages created so i can use that to get investment to build the site proper. Full payment will be given for the work and the potential for further work once i get investment!
    Any assistance or advice would be appreciated.
    Thanks

Ok, so you need 6 static unique page mock-ups to achieve funding for your project. In reality, that's probably 3-4 unique page designs, maybe even less.

You're probably talking about 4-8 hours work for a designer, possibly somewhere in the €200-500 ballpark, roughly, depending how much experience they have. I bet if you pitched a budget of €250 to a really good freelance designer, they could do quite a lot in terms of creating some great static mock-up designs for you. Do you believe in your idea enough to invest €250 in design (which you can later use when you're actually building the site)? If not, why should a designer believe in you?

Go invest hard cash in your project, and quit asking people to work for free on the off-chance you might pay them.

• Registered Users Posts: 118 ✭✭readytorock

Jesus my post was pretty straightforward. I am looking for somebody to build a basic website with the few pages that I asked.
    I instead have people claiming that "you wont see a penny" and properly invest in your website??
    What I asked for was pretty straight forward, I was clear that I'd pay, and explained that potential for further investment in the future??
    There'll always be haters though

• Registered Users Posts: 627 ✭✭✭rossc007

Jesus my post was pretty straightforward. I am looking for somebody to build a basic website with the few pages that I asked.
    I instead have people claiming that "you wont see a penny" and properly invest in your website??
    What I asked for was pretty straight forward, I was clear that I'd pay, and explained that potential for further investment in the future??

David?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭TheBoffin

I think an honest opinion might help you out here.

I was considering giving you some help with a site but after looking at your previous posts, it seems that you have looked for assistance with websites in the past for several different ideas and concepts. You sound to me like someone genuinely trying to make a go at an online business but constantly changing the goal.

Personally I could not afford the brain power required to assist here and micromanage, chances are id loose it and snap and I would suspect that others are avoiding because of what appears to be a constant change of goals.

My advice is to go away and think about what you want to achieve, make a plan and stick to it and don't change your mind. Maybe get a new account on here (i wont be popular for suggesting this) but it will build better confidence so long as you stick to your website topic.

This is a constructive feedback post, please don't take it as an attack.

Best of luck with it

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭_ciaran_

Your post is very straightforward, that's not the problem.
    Full payment will be given for the work and the potential for further work once i get investment!

This is the problem.

Go find a builder that will build you a shop and not seek payment until you turn a profit....

If you won't invest in your own business why would anyone invest in you?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

_ciaran_ wrote: »
    This is the problem.
    Full payment will be given for the work and the potential for further work once i get investment!Thanks

OP, could you clarify if this is what you mean:

Full payment will be given for this work. There may be and the for further work once i get investment.

Calling people 'haters' for calling out the same thing we see here week in, week out, is not the way to find someone to help you.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,736 ✭✭✭peejay1986

Might be alone here, but I read the OP's post completely differently. Don't see any issue in the way it's worded. The OP has said they'll pay for this work AND in addition to this, there may also be further work relating to this project. I'm all for defending designers rights and preventing our profession from being taken for a ride, but I don't think this merits such a response.

OP - Trojan gave a good summary of cost/process. If you wish you can PM me to go over the project and see whether I'm understanding this correctly.

peejay1986 wrote: »
    Might be alone here, but I read the OP's post completely differently. Don't see any issue in the way it's worded. The OP has said they'll pay for this work AND in addition to this, there may also be further work relating to this project. I'm all for defending designers rights and preventing our profession from being taken for a ride, but I don't think this merits such a response.

In fairness, the OP was extremely unclear in the original post wording, to the point that it could be interpreted in two polar opposite ways. I'm surprised that anyone cannot see a problem with how it's worded.

In addition to how it's worded, there is a massive history in this forum of people looking for unpaid design work.

I'm glad the OP has clarified their meaning, but I think the response here was entirely valid.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 182 ✭✭missmyler

peejay1986 wrote: »

OP - Trojan gave a good summary of cost/process. If you wish you can PM me to go over the project and see whether I'm understanding this correctly.

I read the same. OP will pay for the design work now and then there is the potential for future work

• Registered Users Posts: 10,660 ✭✭✭✭maccored

missmyler wrote: »
    I read the same. OP will pay for the design work now and then there is the potential for future work

Same here - Ive no idea how people couldnt understand that.

Trojan wrote: »
    In fairness, the OP was extremely unclear in the original post wording, to the point that it could be interpreted in two polar opposite ways. I'm surprised that anyone cannot see a problem with how it's worded.

I would have to disagree and in fact wonder the opposite.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

maccored wrote: »
    I would have to disagree and in fact wonder the opposite.

The OPs first post states:

There is potentially some ambiguity there as to when payment will be made for the initial work. I don't think it would be a huge leap to interpret that payment will be made once the OP has found an investor, especially given the OP has been seeking a 'work for equity' developer for almost 2 years now.

For the record, my interpretation is the OP is willing to pay for the initial work this time.

• Advertisement

Graham wrote: »
    The OPs first post states:

There is potentially some ambiguity there as to when payment will be made for the initial work. I don't think it would be a huge leap to interpret that payment will be made once the OP has found an investor, especially given the OP has been seeking a 'work for equity' developer for almost 2 years now.

For the record, my interpretation is the OP is willing to pay for the initial work this time.

theres not really though. two parts - "Full payment will be given for the work" - ie work done will be fully paid for, and "the potential for further work once i get investment" - in other words, if the op gets investment there'll be more work. Cant see the big doo-dah there to be honest. Its pretty clear.

I think this one is done.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement