Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

sh1t

• 07-04-2012 9:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

here we go again...i spend the day planting flowers n bulbs n veg with the kid ...kindling an interest in the outdoors away from television..watering the seedlings watching them grow...and a cat comes along in the night and defecates and digs holes in my little kids project...really annoyed..

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,398 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

Buy a miniature plastic poly tunnel to protect them from frost and cats. It also helps plants grow faster. Not ideal but better than most of the anti-cat measures out there and actually helps the plants too. As the plants mature you can remove the tunnel and they can fend for themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Vaughn Clumsy Thriftiness

Yeah, I had the same issue except the fecker was ****ting in the lettuce. Nobody likes gritty lettuce.

A cheaper, more MacGyver solution than a poly-tunnel is simply to put a few pegs (or cut up coat hangers) along the bed and criss cross some twine across the top. Worked for me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 Eggle

Two other possible solutions: One is to dab some Olbas Oil or Tea Tree oil on some old tea bags and put them around the garden, cats don't like the smell and will stay away. Another is to stick lots of twigs in the ground so that there is no room for the cat, as the plants grow the twigs can be removed. Or a water pistol is quite effective ... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Eggle wrote: »
    Two other possible solutions: One is to dab some Olbas Oil or Tea Tree oil on some old tea bags and put them around the garden, cats don't like the smell and will stay away. Another is to stick lots of twigs in the ground so that there is no room for the cat, as the plants grow the twigs can be removed. Or a water pistol is quite effective ... :)

Tried the t-bags... went into the garden to find several cats sipping tea and passing around freshly baked scones with Cornish clotted cream and fruit preserves!

or did I dream that?

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭tinyjiney

If a cat goes around digging and crapping in peoples gardens it seems to be acceptable...:confused:....but if a dog does it.....:eek:..... I gather it up and put it in my neighbours bin....its her cats..;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭boardie100

i dont know if this works but someone told me that if you fill a transparent bottle with water and leave it on its side near the flowers the cats wont go near them..... something to do with them not liking their reflection

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

boardie100 wrote: »
    i dont know if this works but someone told me that if you fill a transparent bottle with water and leave it on its side near the flowers the cats wont go near them..... something to do with them not liking their reflection

Also sausages. They're not keen on sausages lying around the garden either.

• Registered Users Posts: 82 ✭✭big_heart_on

boardie100 wrote: »

That definitely works for dogs, our front garden used to be a turdfield until we started with the transparent bottles.

I found lobbing potatoes in the general direction of trespassing cats will encourage them to crap elsewhere :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 800 ✭✭✭Jimjay

ciaran67 wrote: »

but then i guess you get all the local dogs sat in your garden!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,516 ✭✭✭Maudi

Jimjay wrote: »
    ciaran67 wrote: »

but then i guess you get all the local dogs sat in your garden!
    ugh once again those little divils of neighbourhood cats have use our gsrden as a toilet...the little one walked it thru the kitchen on her shoes...did a bit of research into it and appears if one traps the little divils in a humane trap (the type rentokil use for mink etc)you can release them to a pound or santuary or somewhere...there seems to be a big increase in stray ones around lately...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭IanL

Maudi

Would you ever grow up and stop threatening to trap people's cats and give them away to pounds. We live in an estate where we are on top of each other and I am certainly not going to lock my cat indoors for fear of what you might do to my cat, there are cat repellents you can buy on web. The bulk of the cats round the estate aren't strays so please if you've no constructive criticism stop posting that crap.

Ian

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

IanL wrote: »
    Maudi

Would you ever grow up and stop threatening to trap people's cats and give them away to pounds. We live in an estate where we are on top of each other and I am certainly not going to lock my cat indoors for fear of what you might do to my cat, there are cat repellents you can buy on web. The bulk of the cats round the estate aren't strays so please if you've no constructive criticism stop posting that crap.

Ian

That's really quite arrogant of you IanL. If you own cats, then you own the responsibility to ensure they do not inconvenience others. THAT is what a community is about. Caring for each other and not assuming your rights supercede those of others.

Maudi is fully in his (her?) rights to demand that his garden be free of pests owned by others, and to take appropriate precautions and actions.

It is you who needs to mature into a responsible adult.

Darter, I understand she is frustrated but trapping pets and giving them away is not the answer. you can't keep a cat indoors, they are outdoor animals and can't exactly tell them not to go in to other people's gardens, listen to people's suggestions how to deter them but don't resort to those measures.

I can also fully understand it is distressing for a childs project to be damaged but imagine how distressing it is for a child to have their pet destroyed which happens in pounds which is hardly community spirited. Also kids will walk dog or cat dirt into houses for most of their childhood like all kids do.
    There are sonar devices available to buy on the web which deter cats and I know people who have used them and they are successful.
    Is this the response of an immature person? I don't think so but I was extremely annoyed to think someone would trap our cat and give it away same as Maudi was when her garden got damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 209 ✭✭darter

Darter, I understand she is frustrated but trapping pets and giving them away is not the answer. you can't keep a cat indoors, they are outdoor animals and can't exactly tell them not to go in to other people's gardens, listen to people's suggestions how to deter them but don't resort to those measures.

Her rights to have a garden free of cats, and there is of course a serious attendant health issue associated with microbes in cat faeces should children play with them, supercede your rights to allow your cats to roam the neighbourhood freely and sh!t anywhere and everywhere they like.

Just why is it you think that that is acceptable?

If you cannot control your cats (which is a silly statement, as no-one can control their cats), then you cannot allow them to leave your house. And if you cannot accept that they must be in your house 24/7, then you cannot own cats. Simple as that.

At least the measures Maudi is proposing are humane and don't endanger the lives of the cats. If I had her problems, my precautions might be less so, especially if I had small children.

When they go to a pound they end up getting destroyed so it isn't humane. I did suggest a repellent, no matter where you live cats will get into gardens and I make sure mine is vaccinated and wormed too. It's cruel to trap a cat inside a house all day.

Maudi

Ian
    extremly ignorant and very uncivic let alone community spitited to bring an animal knowing its habit of leaving its waste in your neighbour gardens where small children can come into contact and pick up a host of vile diseases...if you have any interest in you cat maybe you could show it by building one of those cat mesh walk ways around your garden ive seen them all over the states and here too..in the wild yes cats poop where they want thing is they aint in the wild now..so as a cat lover and owner you are responsible...i would love to have a cat but not where its making a pest of itself in the community..id be horrified at the thought of it leaving its dirt in some childs play area...i think with some irresponsible cat owners it an " out of sight out of mind "attitude...dosent wash with me im afraid..i suggest you do some "growing up"yourself and take responsibility for what is your pet..

We certainly aren't living in the wild. We are living in a large estate of mostly terraced accommodation, which bring its own problems and undesirable aspects. The only way in which one can be entirely sure of not encountering pests such as cats, dogs and indeed children (joke!, well, sort of) is to live in a large detached property in the countryside. Until then other people's cats, kids and sometimes undesirable habits are a fact of life.

Also I do provide a cat litter tray which my cat does use which limits the amount of faeces he's dropping in other gardens. And do provide a collar with a bell on it so birds hear him as cats do pounce on them. So I'm not irresponsible, do the best I can possibly do in that respect.

Also once or twice I've had to stop my car suddenly enough as kids run out on the road but don't berate parents as these things can happen and I don't brand the parents as irresponsible just human, everyone takes their eye off the ball unless they're robots.

Anyway wasn't trying to cause any offence just flew of the handle as yes I'm human too!

Also I do provide a cat litter tray which my cat does use which limits the amount of faeces he's dropping in other gardens. And do provide a collar with a bell on it so birds hear him as cats do pounce on them. So I'm not irresponsible, do the best I can possibly do in that respect.

Also once or twice I've had to stop my car suddenly enough as kids run out on the road but don't berate parents as these things can happen and I don't brand the parents as irresponsible just human, everyone takes their eye off the ball unless they're robots.

Anyway wasn't trying to cause any offence just flew of the handle as yes I'm human too!
    apology accepted...

• Advertisement
Advertisement