Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I wonder will he play any Albinoni ? Adagio (what a lovely name for a piece of music), is just so heavenly. He was from Venice as well. Which is a lovely city I think.

With the language problem, did anyone hear if Marty has a translator organised for the Vivaldi interview ? Or does the Red Cheeked Priest speak English ?

I hope Marty can swim (though I am sure he is an excellent swimmer). It wouldnt do to have him fall into one of the canals.

Does anyone know if they will have the performance of Vivaldi's Romeo and Juliet overture done live from the courtyard under Juliet's balcony for the show ? Or is that only for those lucky people on the trip with him ?:(
    Its a lovely piece.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,776 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Yvonne23R

Almaviva wrote: »
    I wonder will he play any Albinoni ? Adagio (what a lovely name for a piece of music), is just so heavenly. He was from Venice as well. Which is a lovely city I think.
    Pachelbel is the one we like if you listen to the programme more often. There is an Irish version of it as well that goes down very well.

Does anyone know if they will have the performance of Vivaldi's Romeo and Juliet overture done live from the courtyard under Juliet's balcony for the show ? Or is that only for those lucky people on the trip with him ?:(
    Its a lovely piece.

Have you been in Verona because I have been there? And if you had you would know that there is no space under the window for a concert. It is like a back yard of a house except at the front. And the crowds are so big that you couldn't even get a small group of musicians in there. They do Verdi in Verona anyway not Vivaldi.

Yvonne23R wrote: »
    Have you been in Verona because I have been there?

No, I didnt know you had been there at the time and went of my own accord anyway.
    Dont worry, courtyard is plenty big for a small chamber group. I remember measuring it with that in mind.

With the language problem, did anyone hear if Marty has a translator organised for the Vivaldi interview ? Or does the Red Cheeked Priest speak English ?

We haven't heard much of the details about the Venice end of the trip but most Italian musicians who have made if big speak English. Ennio is unusual. There is a lot more excitement about the Verona leg than Venice. That's probably because they don't have opera in Venice like they do in Verona. Venice might be about other things like the gondoliers and things like that. Just One Cornetto - Give it to me!! :D

No, I didnt know you had been there at the time and went of my own accord anyway.
    Dont worry, courtyard is plenty big for a small chamber group. I remember measuring it with that in mind.

It's outdoors! :P

• Advertisement

That's probably because they don't have opera in Venice like they do in Verona.

They do have opera in Venice. La Fenice ! Much better than anything in the arena in Verona.

It's outdoors! :P

As are most courtyards.

Well then it's not a chamber!

Well then it's not a chamber!

The courtyard isnt. But the chamber group is still one !

I think the only sensible thing that's been said here except by me recently is to bring sunscreen to Venice. And you're probably not even going.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,280 ✭✭✭jmcc

I hope Marty can swim (though I am sure he is an excellent swimmer). It wouldnt do to have him fall into one of the canals.
    It shouldn't be a problem - as far as Yvonne is concerned, Marty can walk on water. :)

Regards...jmcc

Pachelbel is the one we like if you listen to the programme more often. There is an Irish version of it as well that goes down very well.
    Is that the piece he named after his religious friend Canon Dee? :)

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,209 ✭✭✭hawley

jmcc wrote: »
    It shouldn't be a problem - as far as Yvonne is concerned, Marty can walk on water. :)

Regards...jmcc

I know of someone who worked for a few weeks on a radio programme with Marty. She was on a college placement, so she was basically on the lowest rung of the ladder as regards office politics, with Marty being on the highest one. Well, he treated her like pure garbage for the month she was there. Now, she has a rather large proboscis which Marty proceeded to mock her over for the duration of her stay by making honking noises, putting bogeys in her sandwiches and calling her Pinocchio. But, she said that when anyone attached to even the slightest hint of celebrity came in, he virtually prostrated himself before then and engaged in toe-curling sycophantic banter. She said that he is one of the nastiest people that she has ever had the displeasure to meet.

hawley wrote: »
    I know of someone who worked for a few weeks on a radio programme with Marty. She was on a college placement, so she was basically on the lowest rung of the ladder as regards office politics, with Marty being on the highest one. Well, he treated her like pure garbage for the month she was there. Now, she has a rather large proboscis which Marty proceeded to mock her over for the duration of her stay by making honking noises, putting bogeys in her sandwiches and calling her Pinocchio. But, she said that when anyone attached to even the slightest hint of celebrity came in, he virtually prostrated himself before then and engaged in toe-curling sycophantic banter. She said that he is one of the nastiest people that she has ever had the displeasure to meet.

If you watched any crime TV you would know that this is heresay and shouldn't be repeated. And it's not any credit to be saying that your girl friend (??) has a big nose because that's her own business. I put all the problem bits in red there so they stand out.

I don't want to believe these allegations about Marty because they don't sound true. I am a good judge of character from my life experience and I can tell that he's a really genuine man. You can see it the way he gives a leg up to anyone down on their luck in their music career. And you can see it in his sense of humour and the kind things he says about people who aren't too well.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

hawley wrote: »

I expect that Richard Hawley will be dropped from the play list forthwith. Could not resist.

• Advertisement

I turned on the Marty Whelan show this morning and it's not Mart himself doing it but Trish Taylor. :eek: She is playing opera now while I am writing this. What's wrong? :(

I turned on the Marty Whelan show this morning and it's not Mart himself doing it but Trish Taylor. :eek: She is playing opera now while I am writing this. What's wrong? :(
    Wonder if Marty is on holiday? That's when he found out about his 2FM show, apparently.

Regards...jmcc

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

I am a good judge of character from my life experience

Yeah, you've have enough personalities in your own head to help you along, Hugo/Yvonne.

Your letters to Marty have become even more tedious and unfunny. Have they changed your medication?

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭real rocker

I thought you liked opera.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,730 ✭✭✭europa11

I'd imagine for Yvonne-Hugo it extends no further than Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera", and even at that, incomplete unless Marty follows a playing 'The Music of the Night' with a "Whoo!hoo!hoo!!, he's behind you!"..........or failing that hilarious soundbyte :rolleyes:, he plays the Michael Crawford rendition so the "Betty" catchphrase from 'Some Mothers do 'ave 'em'' can be given the Marty treatment, or worse still, and more typically, the theme music from that show is given an airing.

What a blessed mercy Trish once again proved this morning. Anyone know if she's on for the remainder of the week?

Expunge wrote: »
    Yeah, you've have enough personalities in your own head to help you along, Hugo/Yvonne.

Your letters to Marty have become even more tedious and unfunny. Have they changed your medication?

You should be ashamed of yourself young man! I am not Hugo! But I think his letters are very funny.

And how DARE you say anything about my medication!

europa11 wrote: »
    I'd imagine for Yvonne-Hugo it extends no further than Lloyd Webber's "The Phantom of the Opera", and even at that, incomplete unless Marty follows a playing 'The Music of the Night' with a "Whoo!hoo!hoo!!, he's behind you!"..........or failing that hilarious soundbyte :rolleyes:, he plays the Michael Crawford rendition so the "Betty" catchphrase from 'Some Mothers do 'ave 'em'' can be given the Marty treatment, or worse still, and more typically, the theme music from that show is given an airing.

What a blessed mercy Trish once again proved this morning. Anyone know if she's on for the remainder of the week?

You are a much older person that that other young fellow and I think you should have more sense. And yes Trish is quite good and she played some of the usual music today but it was just a surprise when we got up. She just doesn't have a personality which is where Marty is "second to none" on radio. And I don't agree that I'm Hugo. He is very good but I think he is Marty or someone on Marty's team because he doesn't let Trish or Lorcan have a look in at Hugo.

I do. I like opera in it's place. And the light pieces are fine for the morning. But not things like Faust or The Messiah or heavy Verdi.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,927 ✭✭✭Expunge

You should be ashamed of yourself young man! I am not Hugo! But I think his letters are very funny.

And how DARE you say anything about my medication!

Ah, I wish I was still a young man - as you are still a young mother - with a love for Nelson Eddy, Matt Munro and Frank Muir!!!!! :D

• Advertisement

So with Pat Kenny going to Newstalk, could it be that Marty will be moved from LyricFM?

Regards...jmcc

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement