Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UAE, DUBAI/SABIS TEACHING!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29 eoinmjmac

Yeah mine is in Limerick too. Check Skysanner you'll find the cheapest fare there, hope ya get a decent one.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 MessiahMan

Hey I'm in the middle of the application process as well. I sent them on the transcripts of my degree and masters but they are telling me that they want the actual parchment translated into english. That's fair enough if I've been offered a job but I don't even know if I'll get one and it'll cost €100 to get them translated. Anyone else in this position?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Leapfrog11

Hi guys, can I ask the people who've got interviews this year- are you qualified teachers? I know they've hired unqualified teachers in the past but I'm not sure if they're still doing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Buster21

Hey guys

I am currently doing my PDE and have my face to face interview in Limerick next thursday.Did anybody else get sent the contract?I just got a letter from the University saying I completed my degree and my masters.I didn't have the 100 euro to get copies of the degrees :)

Leapfrog11 wrote: »
    Hi guys, can I ask the people who've got interviews this year- are you qualified teachers? I know they've hired unqualified teachers in the past but I'm not sure if they're still doing this?

I have the interview next week too. I have two years teaching experience but I am not a qualified teacher.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭richiebceltic

eoinmjmac wrote: »
    I have the interview next week too. I have two years teaching experience but I am not a qualified teacher.
    A contradiction in terms then. Your teaching experience starts for real after you're qualified.

A contradiction in terms then. Your teaching experience starts for real after you're qualified.
    No contradiction. I merely stated that I have taught for two years giving me experience. But I am not qualified. I was studying liberal arts and had to spend one year off campus which I chose to do in a school and I was giving classroom teaching. The second year I was a voluneteer teacher with SVP

• Registered Users Posts: 3 sasf90

Hiya, I have a telephone interview with Sabis tomoro evening, was supposed to have it 2 weeks ago but they couldn't get through to me. I'm in South Korea working at the moment and just wondering does anyone know what they'll do about the face-to-face interview? As I clearly won't be able to do one?! And has anyone any idea what the starting dates are like? I might not be finished my contract here on time...Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭richiebceltic

eoinmjmac wrote: »
    No contradiction. I merely stated that I have taught for two years giving me experience. But I am not qualified. I was studying liberal arts and had to spend one year off campus which I chose to do in a school and I was giving classroom teaching. The second year I was a voluneteer teacher with SVP
    I'm sorry but you can't call yourself a teacher if you're unqualified. The same way years ago I had a weeks work experience in a hospital but I didn't call myself a doctor. You haven't been trained in methodologies, differentiation, curriculum planning & assessment so you've just been working in a classroom. This is what teachers & teaching unions get prickly about - the devaluation of our job by unqualified people breezing in and calling themselves teachers just by standing in a classroom. When you do get qualified yourself you'll see what I mean & you'll be protective of the qualification you worked hard to achieve.
    Good luck in your future career.

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Leapfrog11

Not really sure what you're getting so annoyed about? Eoin isn't looking for a job in an Irish classroom, this is a thread for schools in the Middle East and he has what they class as experience. He never claimed he was a qualified teacher. I really don't know why you care who they are hiring in the Middle East. He is not taking a job from a qualified teacher, they have too many jobs and not enough qualified teachers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Brid1991

Hi,
    had my face to face interview today, got on with Sean and Niall like a house on fire!! Seriously can't wait to work with these guys, have some amazing ideas for this educational system!
    Questions Include:
    Teachers Details- expand on yourself--- ie. favourite teaching songs to influence the class, colours to impact student motivation, sports you would like to coach in the school, volleyball in my case.
    Class Time - Make each student feel special, really get to know your students and their family backgrounds. Multiple school trips ie. geography field trips.

Personally, I am very excited about the opportunity to embrace this new system and also put my own twist on it. I feel as if I've many wonderful years ahead of me working with this company :-) Feel free to comment on this thread with any questions!

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

Brid1991 wrote: »
    Hi,
    had my face to face interview today, got on with Sean and Niall like a house on fire!! Seriously can't wait to work with these guys, have some amazing ideas for this educational system!
    Questions Include:
    Teachers Details- expand on yourself--- ie. favourite teaching songs to influence the class, colours to impact student motivation, sports you would like to coach in the school, volleyball in my case.
    Class Time - Make each student feel special, really get to know your students and their family backgrounds. Multiple school trips ie. geography field trips.

Personally, I am very excited about the opportunity to embrace this new system and also put my own twist on it. I feel as if I've many wonderful years ahead of me working with this company :-) Feel free to comment on this thread with any questions!
    Ha ha, I like your optimism but it might be exactly like you think!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

Brid1991 wrote: »
    Hi,
    Questions Include:

Ah Brid, another username with less than 5 posts. This guy is fairly determined to put a positive spin on things!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15 irish_chick

Hi guys I see there are a lot of posts here about Sabis. I'm just wondering are there any ADEC people out there? I had an interview last October and got accepted. I've sent all of my paperwork in and am now awaiting word back. Has anyone heard anything yet?

I'm sorry but you can't call yourself a teacher if you're unqualified. The same way years ago I had a weeks work experience in a hospital but I didn't call myself a doctor. You haven't been trained in methodologies, differentiation, curriculum planning & assessment so you've just been working in a classroom. This is what teachers & teaching unions get prickly about - the devaluation of our job by unqualified people breezing in and calling themselves teachers just by standing in a classroom. When you do get qualified yourself you'll see what I mean & you'll be protective of the qualification you worked hard to achieve.
    Good luck in your future career.

I appreciate exactly what you are saying but I never called myself a teacher, I said I have experience teaching, nothing more nothing less.

Ah Brid, another username with less than 5 posts. This guy is fairly determined to put a positive spin on things!!!

I don't think this person is trying to put a positive spin on anything. I had the interview also today. It was a very relaxed environment and I can understand what Brid is saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 JohnnyBGoof

Hi Richiebceltic,

The vocational Education Act in Ireland and England allows and recognises suitably vocationally qualified teachers (not ncessarily with HDip or PDE) to become permanent teachers in schools, thus by law QUALIFIED teachers in the eyes of the law.

Also it is important to differenciate between qualified and competent teachers, they are not ncessarliy one in the same. In my 20 years of experience people assume that a parchment=qualified....NOT TRUE

• Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭Johnnythefox4

Do they let you know by email or letter if you've made it to the face to face interviews?

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Do they let you know by email or letter if you've made it to the face to face interviews?

It'll be an email! Are you going for Limerick or Dublin?

Neither,was supposes to have my phone interview last Monday but they cancelled it. They said they would get back to me very soon with a new date and time but nothing sorted yet. Emailed them last Thursday and they said keep posted, will let you know about new date and time soon.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭carolmarx

Neither,was supposes to have my phone interview last Monday but they cancelled it. They said they would get back to me very soon with a new date and time but nothing sorted yet. Emailed them last Thursday and they said keep posted, will let you know about new date and time soon.

If they said they'd get back to you they will! It would be no harm to start working on garda clearance now etc as they like to have it all fairly quick! Some people I know last year ended up only having a phone interview before they got the job, cause they fell after the face to face interviews!

carolmarx wrote: »
    If they said they'd get back to you they will! It would be no harm to start working on garda clearance now etc as they like to have it all fairly quick! Some people I know last year ended up only having a phone interview before they got the job, cause they fell after the face to face interviews!

Cheers for that. Was starting to get a bit worried

• Registered Users Posts: 8 BJ Girl

Hi all,
    Just wondering if anyone would kindly pm me the names of any schools that are central in Dubai that I could apply to directly? I would rather do it this way as opposed to using an agency as want to know exactly where I will be placed.
    I would be forever grateful as very nervous about the whole thing but want to make a move (can't face job searching in Sept as a NQT)!!! :-(
    Thanks in advance! :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1 DeeDee1990

Hi
    I'm thinking of working for Sabis, got application form and interview date and all information but I was just wondering does anybody know if they let you take time off if needed to go back home for occasions such as college graduations?

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭M442

DeeDee1990 wrote: »
    Hi
    I'm thinking of working for Sabis, got application form and interview date and all information but I was just wondering does anybody know if they let you take time off if needed to go back home for occasions such as college graduations?

As a general rule they never give time off. I know one girl who's graduation was at the end of August, about a week after she was supposed to come out, but she just said she couldn't come over yet, probably won't always work.

• Registered Users Posts: 89 ✭✭sparklyEyes111

DeeDee1990 wrote: »
    Hi

Forget about graduation I'm sad to say, unless you are lucky to have yours during EID where you'd have to 4 day weekend to go home and come back, or even around the national day celebrations for the UAE any way. Some schools in Dubai also get a midterm then so a friend of mine in her school could return back no problem for her grad, and they only get two weeks off at xmas. I graduated the year before I came here so I was fine. Sabis gives 3 weeks at xmas and no midterms. My school (not sabis, but I've many friends in various sabis schools) gives the 3 weeks at xmas also and no midterms. I had a friend who only got 3 days off to go home for a bereavement. That was all, and she lost pay on top of that. Missing days here is a no no. Even if you're sick for a day or two, they will want to see sick notes, and know why exactly you were sick. I was very sick for 3 days and my head even called to my apartment, and I had to go to hospital to be checked out. There's no dossing out her folks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neilo85

Hey, have my interview this Thursday. Glad to hear yours went well. What way was it structured, was it one on one or to a few people? Was there any group interviews? What kinda questions did they ask. The nerves are starting to kick in so any info you could give would be brilliant:-) thanks a lot!!

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Neilo85

Hey, have my interview this Thursday. Glad to hear yours went well. What way was it structured, was it one on one or to a few people? Was there any group interviews? What kinda questions did they ask. The nerves are starting to kick in so any info you could give would be brilliant:-) thanks a lot!!

Neilo85 wrote: »

Hey, I had mine last Monday. In my group there was me and two others and then two interviewers. They make you feel very relaxed so I wouldn't be getting too nervous, just know why you want to teach, know the areas and also the Sabis network. They won't trick you or anything so you should be good. From what I seen on Monday, and from hearing from friends throughout the week, they are group sessions. Hope this helps.

• Advertisement

I have my telephone interview on Monday. Anyone got any tips for me?

Advertisement