Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Rude B&B

• 06-06-2009 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭

Ive just recently spent a night in a galway b&b and having given it a bit of though, im pretty angry.

It was the s*****e lodge in salthill, and i can only recommend that no one else stay there. Upon arrival, the owner was brusque and unfriendly, handed me a key and demanded i make sure to lock the door when we come in. No small talk, or advice about the area. a total lack of cursory pleasantries.

I thought this was.. ok, maybe i caught him at a bad time. sure tis a busy week with the yach race and all but there were still vacencies available so he could not be THAT busy.

this rude attitude did not abate during the stay and at checking out we came down the stairs to him holding his hand out saying "you owe €XX. goodbye."

not a how was your stay? or a we hope to see you again!
    plain rudeness,

the house itself was ok, view of a housing estate and a bad shower.. but it was fine.

but the poor attitude has stayed with me.

Has anyone else a similar experience?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,277 ✭✭✭poisonated

I stayed in a b&b once in Salthill too actualy...I had a great time but the guy there was pretty rude.Their breakfast was pretty stingy aswel...Nothing as bad as your experience but still felt he could have being nicer...It was a great couple of days though,That b&b wasnt part of a row of b&bs there was it??ha that name sounds familiar

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,454 ✭✭✭mink_man

no

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

He sounds like a relic from times past. When people came to Salthill, booked into to b&b because the hotels were so expensive and then treated you like crap before demanding the money for the stay. Should have taken his towels!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭mawk

poisonated wrote: »
    I stayed in a b&b once in Salthill too actualy...I had a great time but the guy there was pretty rude.Their breakfast was pretty stingy aswel...Nothing as bad as your experience but still felt he could have being nicer...It was a great couple of days though,That b&b wasnt part of a row of b&bs there was it??ha that name sounds familiar

it was actually.. like a little estate of just b&bs.
    maybe we both had the same guy?

still though, didn't turn me off salthill. great place

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 7,375 Mod ✭✭✭✭pleasant Co.

Could you not complain to whoever governs B&B's, although admittedly I've no idea who you'd complain to - but i'm sure there's some group in charge, like failte ireland or something...

• Advertisement

id imagine ill get more satisfaction from the google hits this page gets than from trying any governing body. Thanks for allowing my rant galway forum, im ready to be zen again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

possibly somewhat off topic, but just to balance up the B&B karma..

myself and now wife stayed in a B&B, (I think is was Lough Atailia Rd somewhere) about 15 years ago. It was December, late at night, a little old house with two little old people (both oaps and both no more than 5 foot). They were the nicest, warmest hosts I've ever encountered. After we checked in they asked us to help decorating their christmas tree (they could not reach the top half of it :) ) So we did, and I put star on top etc.
    Next morning we went down for breakfast and there had 4 different types of fresh, home baked bread, freshly squeezed orange juice, an a bowl of ice cubes for the OJ, but the cubes were made from oj instead of water as they did not want us to think that they were watering down the juice. Turned out we were their only guests that night and that the lady of the house was up half the night baking break for us.
    They were such lovely, lovely people...... it's put me in a good mood just remembering :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 133 ✭✭mrsweebri

it's worth putting a short review into tripadvisor.com - don't usually bother for average places, but if somewhere is really nice or really awful I make a point of writing something about it to give others the heads up.

good story irishgrover, that's why I was so irked.. ive never had a bad b&b before. they always seem like such bastions of hospitality,I choose them over hotels at every opportunity.

how can you stay in business nowadays being rude to guests?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,744 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

Mactard wrote: »
    Could you not complain to whoever governs B&B's, although admittedly I've no idea who you'd complain to - but i'm sure there's some group in charge, like failte ireland or something...

The best place for the OP to lodge a complaint is with the owner. Better doing that then giving out about the experience here on boards.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27 afaphoenix

mawk wrote: »
    Ive just recently spent a night in a galway b&b and having given it a bit of though, im pretty angry.

It was the s*****e lodge in salthill, and i can only recommend that no one else stay there. Upon arrival, the owner was brusque and unfriendly, handed me a key and demanded i make sure to lock the door when we come in. No small talk, or advice about the area. a total lack of cursory pleasantries.

I thought this was.. ok, maybe i caught him at a bad time. sure tis a busy week with the yach race and all but there were still vacencies available so he could not be THAT busy.

this rude attitude did not abate during the stay and at checking out we came down the stairs to him holding his hand out saying "you owe €XX. goodbye."

not a how was your stay? or a we hope to see you again!
    plain rudeness,

the house itself was ok, view of a housing estate and a bad shower.. but it was fine.

but the poor attitude has stayed with me.

Has anyone else a similar experience?

Hi I think I know where you mean, it people an area are lovely but the owner was the thickest person I ever met I reported him on to several guide books and contacted Bord Failte. I would like to know if anybody had similar experience in a B and B on Aran Islands
    Regards
    Andy

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

I have had similar expiernce to OP except in my case it was was about 12 years ago in two seperate B&B's in Dublin ,one out in southside and the other on opposite side of city .

The first one had advertised what looked like very modern accommodation but in fact turned out to be a damp, converted side house garage , with poor facilites ie, , wonky furniture,old cracked cups ,plates and hardly any hot water ( although she was charging us for it ) the final insult after our 10 days stay was when on our departure she said '' I wont charge you for the extra electricity you have used '' That was the final straw and only because we were rushing to catch a plane I would have told her ( politely ) were to go .( she didn't get it either )

So on return home I banged off a letter to the Irish Tourist board who replied thanking me for informing them as it helps keep up with customers complaints .I also had a letter from the owner to saying something to the effect that the co council were doing road works when we stayed which affected the supply of hot water supply ( not my problem considering we paid her £250 up front and no mention of the extra charge she was looking for non - used - electricity ) but at least we got an apology .

The second place we stayed in for a week was run by an OAP who really shouldn't have being because for one she was half blind and thought it ok to rifle through our belonging when we were out .We only discoverd ( again on depearture ) she wasn'r registerd to run a B&B :rolleyes:

we can laugh now

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭dec25532

Latchy wrote: »
    I have had similar expiernce to OP except in my case it was was about 12 years ago in two seperate B&B's in Dublin ,one out in southside and the other on opposite side of city .

The first one had advertised what looked like very modern accomadation but in fact turned out to be a damp, converted side house garage , with poor facilites ie, , wonky furniture,old cracked cups ,plates and hardly any hot water ( although she was charging us for it ) the final insult after our 10 days stay was when on our departure she said '' I wont charge you for the extra electricity you have used '' That was the final straw and only because we were rushing to catch a plane I would have told her ( politly ) were to go .( she didn't get it either )

So on return home I banged off a letter to the Irish Tourist board who replied thanking me for informing them as it helps keep up with customers complaints .I also had a letter from the owner to saying something to the effect that the co council were doing road works when we stayed which affected the supply of hot water supply ( not my problem considering we paind her £250 up front and no mention of the extra charge she was looking for non - used - electricity ) but at least we got an apology .

The second place we stayed in for a week was run by an OAP who really shouldn't have being because for one she was half blind and thought it ok to rifle through our belonging when we were out .We only discoverd ( again on depearture ) she wasn'r registerd to run a B&B :rolleyes:

we can laugh now

Fascinating!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

I have had pretty bad B&B experiences in East Galway, Cork, Limerick and the worst ever was in Roscrea. Broken furniture, broken toilets, dirty sheets, terrible terrible cheapo breakfasts with no effort made. Money grabbing seems to be the norm along with complete lack of help. I will only use B&B's if I have no other choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 537 ✭✭✭blond45

lightening wrote: »
    I have had pretty bad B&B experiences in East Galway, Cork, Limerick and the worst ever was in Roscrea. Broken furniture, broken toilets, dirty sheets, terrible terrible cheapo breakfasts with no effort made. Money grabbing seems to be the norm along with complete lack of help. I will only use B&B's if I have no other choice.
    why on earth did you stay in the dump?it must have being late when you got there. i,d rather sleep in the car if i had a choice.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,125 ✭✭✭lightening

blond45 wrote: »
    why on earth did you stay in the dump?

We were booked in, arrived late, needed to changed and get showered for a wedding.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,325 ✭✭✭true

True enough. Some B+B's are fine, others are very bad. Why does Bord Failte not regulate them better ?

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭MaxFlower

possibly somewhat off topic, but just to balance up the B&B karma..

myself and now wife stayed in a B&B, (I think is was Lough Atailia Rd somewhere) about 15 years ago. It was December, late at night, a little old house with two little old people (both oaps and both no more than 5 foot). They were the nicest, warmest hosts I've ever encountered. After we checked in they asked us to help decorating their christmas tree (they could not reach the top half of it :) ) So we did, and I put star on top etc.
    Next morning we went down for breakfast and there had 4 different types of fresh, home baked bread, freshly squeezed orange juice, an a bowl of ice cubes for the OJ, but the cubes were made from oj instead of water as they did not want us to think that they were watering down the juice. Turned out we were their only guests that night and that the lady of the house was up half the night baking break for us.
    They were such lovely, lovely people...... it's put me in a good mood just remembering :o

Ahhh, thats put me in a good mood too. Sounds like material for a christmas movie. Your other half wasn't 'with child' by any chance and you car was 'too tired' to go on.:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭no1beemerfan

Hmmmm I'd love to know who this was as I live in Roscrea, (father got a job there in the 80's so moved there!!), and we actually live beside a B&B!!

Advertisement