Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Interesting Stuff Thread

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

Trijicon [who make the rifles], a Michigan company that has always operated under Christian ideals...
    That's just awesome.

Assault rifles endorsed by a Jewish carpenter who declared we should "love thy neighbour as thyself... and then shoot them in the face".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Carl Sagan being interviewed by John Denver. Denver is clearly very enthusiastic about science and astronomy, so it's a great interview :) He says he's a big fan, and has read all of Sagan's books

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qho15vV3Lz8

• Registered Users Posts: 7,796 ✭✭✭Calibos

FYP

You get the youtube link and cut and paste everything after v= and before an & or " between youtube tags

dang, what a noob mistake to make :p

Everyone please ensure that you thank my post rather than Calibos', as mine was the original! :p

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,515 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Noob thanks whore.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

• Registered Users Posts: 4,640 ✭✭✭Pushtrak

Something that isn't really as well suited here as it would be in other places I could mention. We've all likely heard this one used.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 237 ✭✭DeBunny

Empirical science and psychoactive drugs; what a mix. Did anyone see the horizon about a week ago where the presenter got a CAT scan while under the influence of psylocybin? Hilarious and informative.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭keppler

I couldnt find a 'funny side of crap' thread so I decided to post this one here.
    http://emerize.com/introducing-new-zodiac-sign-ophiuchus.html

^^ Ahem...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

An interesting piece from an atheist TV show in Texas.

Horizon on bbc2 at 9 tonight:

Geneticist and biologist Paul Nurse examines the reasons why public trust in key scientific theories, including the cause of global warming, the safety of GM food and the link between HIV and Aids, seems to have been eroded. He travels to New York to interview scientists and campaigners from both sides of the climate change debate, and meets a man who has HIV but does not believe the virus is responsible for Aids. (Followed by BBC Weather Update)

fuzztone wrote: »
    An interesting segment from an AustralianAustin Texas atheist tv show.

FYP :D

It really sounded like they were starting to get through to Mike and dispel the stereotypical misconceptions he had about Atheism.

Unfortunately, I can also picture the scene when he talked to his Pastor about it and was probably told that those woman were under the influence of the Dark One and were 'speaking in riddles' with 'big words' to confuse and tempt him away from the Lords path.....etc etc etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭fuzztone

Calibos wrote: »
    FYP :D

It really sounded like they were starting to get through to Mike and dispel the stereotypical misconceptions he had about Atheism.

Unfortunately, I can also picture the scene when he talked to his Pastor about it and was probably told that those woman were under the influence of the Dark One and were 'speaking in riddles' with 'big words' to confuse and tempt him away from the Lords path.....etc etc etc

I have no idea why I thought it was Australian :p After the first minute I was completely ready to write off Mike as an indoctrinated fool who wasn't going to listen to a single word they said but by the end he really seemed to be taking it all in. Regardless if this experience will motivate him to question his beliefs or not at least it seems to have changed his views of atheists in a positive way.

New Hitchens interview. I haven't watched it yet, but he looks like sh*t :( Poor bastard. He says the chemo is holding the cancer at bay, and they might be trying some new treatments on him.

Dave! wrote: »
    New Hitchens interview. I haven't watched it yet, but he looks like sh*t :( Poor bastard. He says the chemo is holding the cancer at bay, and they might be trying some new treatments on him.

I just love the way he cant leave good o'l Mother T alone!
    Its like the man just never gets tired of kickin her.....he always just, has to go back for one more :)

FYI -- an interview to look out for (courtesy of Pharyngula):
    According to Ken Ham, he will be appearing on Anderson Cooper tonight (10pm (9 Central time) on CNN), along with Barry Lynn of Americans United. It sounds a little odd — the day after the state of the union address, they bring on a creationist kook? — and they don't say exactly what the topic is, although we can probably guess.

Ham is asking for prayers. They won't help him much against Lynn, who is simply an awesome speaker. It could be fine entertainment.

Actually, prayers wouldn't help him much if his opponent was Big Bird, either.

I've seen a few clips of Barry Lynn before, and he's certainly awesome, and Anderson Cooper is no friend of pseudoscience either, so I expect Ham will have his ass handed to him.

I'm sure it'll be on YouTube before it's even finished(!), so if anyone spots it before me, post it up plz ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,872 ✭✭✭strobe

Dave! wrote: »
    FYI -- an interview to look out for (courtesy of Pharyngula):

I've seen a few clips of Barry Lynn before, and he's certainly awesome, and Anderson Cooper is no friend of pseudoscience either, so I expect Ham will have his ass handed to him.

I'm sure it'll be on YouTube before it's even finished(!), so if anyone spots it before me, post it up plz ;)

Jaysus, you had that right man.

I think I agree with Ken Ham....... :eek: :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,082 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Anybody had the pleasure of listening to this tripe yet?

http://www.independent.ie/business/irish/mannions-spirit-is-lifted-by-launch-of-radio-station-2507427.html

Katie Taylor launched the opening the station this morning with the release of a dove lol

Listening now... Westlife and now some lady singing Christian Pop...
    Maybe it's the can of Redbull I just necked but I now feel strangely upbeat.

If folk want to listen in and embrace the whole fluffy religious thing, why not. Just leave kids alone, I say.

Dades wrote: »
    Listening now... Westlife and now some lady singing Christian Pop...
    Maybe it's the can of Redbull I just necked but I now feel strangely upbeat.

If folk want to listen in and embrace the whole fluffy religious thing, why not. Just leave kids alone, I say.

Dont be trying to pass it off on the redbull! Admit it, you love christian pop or even worse ...Westlife;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

keppler wrote: »
    Just having a look at who is financing it, apart from Dermot Mannion who sent Aer Lingus planes to Knock, there is this guy who says;

"One of the most significant discoveries for me during this time came through studying the facts behind the resurrection of Jesus. History, archaeology, and modern science add a huge weight of evidence to the facts that Jesus was much more than just a human being. The compelling proofs of these facts...."

My bolds, but WTF is he on about??? :pac:

"One of the most significant discoveries for me during this time came through studying the facts behind the resurrection of David Koresh. History, archaeology, and modern science add a huge weight of evidence to the facts that David was much more than just a human being. The compelling proofs of these facts...."
    Sure don't we have David mentioned in the minutes of Senate meetings of the republic before it became an empire. Don't we have witnesses to his sacreficial immolation at our most holy of holy places. Who doubts the word of the Davidian apostles who survived to pass on the good news? Don't we know from historical accounts that a place called Waco existed. Isn't it obvious that this all points to Our Lord Koresh being the son of God.

Excerpt from the King Limbaugh Bible 3110 Edition

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,172 ✭✭✭Ghost Buster

http://www.kandle.ie/2009/01/21/catholic-schools-week-2009/comment-page-1/#comment-59448

Yes indeed. It an entire week where a religion which runs 90+% of state financed schools but with the support of 30-% of the population take time out to strengthen its ethos.:rolleyes:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 24,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭robindch

It an entire week where a religion which runs 90+% of state financed schools but with the support of 30-% of the population take time out to strengthen its ethos.:rolleyes:

Uh, that's one fabulous rainbow:

csw_logo_bn.jpg

Yippeeee. Its catholic schools week!!

Coming next week: Non-Catholic Schools' Week

28weeks.jpg

• Advertisement

^^Somebody throw a baby in there and make it interesting!

Advertisement