Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this rod any good for beach casting?

• 22-03-2004 3:18pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I have a Pike fishing rod. It is 3 and a half metres long and has a max casting weight of about 150gms. Its a pretty strong rod. Have landed a 18lb pike on it no problems. Just wondering how heavy a fish can I expect to land on it? Also, is 20lb line too weak for beach casting?

Cheers

:)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭jd

Originally posted by Michelangelo
    I have a Pike fishing rod. It is 3 and a half metres long and has a max casting weight of about 150gms. Its a pretty strong rod. Have landed a 18lb pike on it no problems. Just wondering how heavy a fish can I expect to land on it? Also, is 20lb line too weak for beach casting?

Cheers

:)

For proper beach casting, I'd use 15 lb line with a 50/60 shock. Maybe you should stiuck to what you have, limit the weights to about 50/75 grammes (2 or 3 ounces).
    Alternatively, dropt the main line down to about 15, and use a 40lb shock to be on the safe side. What kind of action has the rod?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Cheers for reply JD.

What is "shock"? Never heard it used before.

The reel I have is 1:4,2 gear ratio. Dont know a lot about what that means. Is gear ratio an important consideration?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Cheers for links.

Shock leader looks pretty tricky to implement. But I will give it a try.:)

Originally posted by Michelangelo
    Cheers for links.

Shock leader looks pretty tricky to implement. But I will give it a try.:)

Stick with 2/3 oz and 20lb line and no need to bother really. casting distance may suffer a bit, because of weight of line.. Don't over cook your cast.
    jd

• Advertisement
Advertisement