Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Help - SRAM chainset removal

• 01-09-2014 8:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭

Hi

I am trying to remove a SRAM chainset from a bb.
    I have used an 8mm Allen key to remove the nut from the centre of the crank arm.

However the crank arm will not budge from the spindle at all.
    I have tried leverage and that won't budge it.

There appears to be nothing else that I can unscrew.
    Any ideas? What could I be missing.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,831 ✭✭✭ROK ON

I have attached a picture.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,257 Mod ✭✭✭✭Borderfox

ROK ON wrote: »
    I have attached a picture.

A crank extractor fits into the thread in the hole to pull the crank off

Borderfox wrote: »
    A crank extractor fits into the thread in the hole to pull the crank off
    Ok
    That would be necessary then?

I have checked sram YouTube videos and other videos concerning sram cranks and not one mentions a crank extractor. Strange.

Will any crank extractor do - I can't find a sram one on wiggle/bike24/crc.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭Al Wright

From the picture it appears that crank spindle is hollow, therefore a standard crank extractor will not work, (nothing for the extractor screw to lever against). It appears that the crank is a straight spline engagement, so it should just slip off. It has probably seized over time. Try tapping out using wood wedges between crank and bottom bracket bearing face. (the risk of using a heavy screw driver is that the bearing seal could be damaged. It the intention is to replace bearings then this isn't an issue)
    I'm not familiar with the Sram, but a similar looking arrangement uses the cover piece through which the 8mm Allen screw goes as an extractor. If there are fine threads on the inside of the crank between the outer edge and the spindle this might be the case. If the 8mm Allen screw has the bezel still fitted there is a chance that this is of that type.
    Search Google for 'Self Extracting Crank Bolt' for a description.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

Something has gone wrong for you. The nut should stay with the crank arm and push the crank arm off the spindle. The nut is not removed from the arm. I would try to reassemble and check that you are turning the nut in the right direction? If not you are a bit stuck as the arm is still gripping the spindle with no method of loosening.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭vertigo1976

On my Sram force GXP crank, you leave the larger outer allen nut in place and as you loosen the inner 8mm one it self extracts the crank. Hope that makes sense.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Thinking along the same lines as Al Wright. Self extracting type setup. Was there a threaded ring around the bolt that held the crank arm onto the BB spindle? When I first came across this setup I thought I had to remove the ring instead of leaving it in place.
    http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help/self-extracting-or-one-key-release-systems

Thanks for the replies folks - I am attaching more pics.
    You will see that there is a thread inside the crank arm.

This thread is not for the crank bolt - so I figure this is what I should thread the extractor tool to in order to unscrew the crank arm.

Would any store in Dublin have one of these - I figure bee cycles does as he bilt the bike - but he is out of commission at present.

More

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

ROK ON wrote: »
    More

Your missing a cover piece that threads in over this.its not meant to be removed, do you still have it? Has a 10mm allen key hole. I would say you can get a spare off a sram dealer

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I still reckon that thread is for a threaded cap(on left) that the main bolt pushes against to remove the arm.
    7278151884_1c9dcb7600.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 623 ✭✭✭J Madone

I still reckon that thread is for a threaded cap(on left) that the main bolt pushes against to remove the arm.
    7278151884_1c9dcb7600.jpg

Correct and right

Guy
    Thanks plenty.

What do I need to do now?
    Get a replacement part, insert it and then remove the crank arm?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,099 ✭✭✭clog

You can get crank pullers that will work with a hollow spline. Cyclus ones certainly have a fitting for hollow isis/octalink splines. At a push I have had success putting a small coin in the space and using puller against that.

This may work though as a replacement for the part you are missing.

http://www.chainreactioncycles.com/ie/en/fsa-megaexo-crank-screw-qr-14/rp-prod87643

Advertisement