Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Computing NCI

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlazingBladeDA

how many seats are there in the BSc Computing Course?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

how many seats are there in the BSc Computing Course?

1st Year typically has in and around 100+ places. Last year had an A stream and B stream

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Gaw_

1st Year typically has in and around 100+ places. Last year had an A stream and B stream

Is it an easy enough environment to make new friends?

• Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭nemoisback66

Gaw_ wrote: »
    Is it an easy enough environment to make new friends?
    Super easy, met most of my good friends from class :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

Anyone doing the course this year ?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22 Alice___5

I got accepted into computing in applications & support (level 6) in ncirl but im undecided if I'll accept that or my level 8 offer in athlone for software design ..

I really wanted to do computer science & software engineering through arts in nuim but I only got 330 points and it was 350 :/

I'm not sure should I just take one of my offers, or look into repeating the LC or transferring courses after year 1 or 2 or just stick with what I got offered .. :/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,369 ✭✭✭LostBoy101

Alice___5 wrote: »
    I got accepted into computing in applications & support (level 6) in ncirl but im undecided if I'll accept that or my level 8 offer in athlone for software design ..

I really wanted to do computer science & software engineering through arts in nuim but I only got 330 points and it was 350 :/

I'm not sure should I just take one of my offers, or look into repeating the LC or transferring courses after year 1 or 2 or just stick with what I got offered .. :/
    With the level 6 in Computing in Apps you do 2 years there which has the same modules as the honours Computing (Level 8) and you have the option to enter 2nd year of the Level 8 with the level 6. It's just a one year wait to get into the level 8.

• Registered Users Posts: 804 ✭✭✭Casshern88

the NCI web site states "Upon successful completion of the Higher Certificate in Computing, graduates can gain entry into year 3 of the BSc (Honours) in Computing...." So you could just accept that and after you finish second year of that course you'll have your level 6 qualification and you can just slot into 3rd year of level 8 computing. So really if you were planning on continuing on to the computing course its practically as if your doing the level 8 anyway.

Casshern88 wrote: »
    the NCI web site states "Upon successful completion of the Higher Certificate in Computing, graduates can gain entry into year 3 of the BSc (Honours) in Computing...." So you could just accept that and after you finish second year of that course you'll have your level 6 qualification and you can just slot into 3rd year of level 8 computing. So really if you were planning on continuing on to the computing course its practically as if your doing the level 8 anyway.
    Ah so it's progression into 3rd year. I got that part wrong.

I was thinking of maybe doing that and going straight into year 3 of the level 8 computing course... Would it be possible to transfer into computer science & software engineering in nuim with that course after year 1 or 2? Or would the courses be too different?

• Advertisement

I was thinking of maybe doing that and going straight into year 3 of the level 8 computing course... Would it be possible to transfer into computer science & software engineering in nuim with that course after year 1 or 2? Or would the courses be too different?

you'd have to talk to staff in nuim, I doubt youd be able to transfer before actually having the two years completed as its a level 6 course, You'd really just have to ask the colleges / course directors as protocols differ from college to college depending on the course. Also side note you'd probably want pretty good results for transferring too, the college your transferring too may be less inclined to take someone on board whos barley passing if the course is already pretty full.

Yeah I'm still undecided what I should do, I'd say I'll probably end up going to ncirl and trying to get into the level 8 course from there because that seems to be my best option , and I'm not too excited about the idea of going to athlone ,

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Do the level 6 and then you'll get into the level 8 after your 2 years in level 6. I'm in level 8 and really like it

Do the level 6 and then you'll get into the level 8 after your 2 years in level 6. I'm in level 8 and really like it

Yeah I think I will probably do that, it seems like my best option :)

• Registered Users Posts: 15,199 ✭✭✭✭stephenjmcd

Yeah I think I will probably do that, it seems like my best option :)

you'll love nci

you'll love nci
    I concur.

LostBoy101 wrote: »
    I concur.
    Good to hear positive feedback from everyone :) (Y)

• Registered Users Posts: 38 BlazingBladeDA

Sigh* Sadly, I didnt get into NCI. Damn a 70 Point LEAP GOD DAMMIT!!!

But oh Well. I got an Offer for ITT Dublin. I would prefer to be in NCI though

Just had a look at the points for this year there , 340 wow that's a big jump, thankfully I got in as a mature student, once your over 23 points don't matter a fu*k you can get into any course.

Sigh* Sadly, I didnt get into NCI. Damn a 70 Point LEAP GOD DAMMIT!!!

But oh Well. I got an Offer for ITT Dublin. I would prefer to be in NCI though
    Aye I'm surprised by the massive points increase and I was expecting it to jump as last year it was 270 to allocate more places.

I wish you luck in ITT Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

There's only one class this year instead of two, hence the massive points jump. 60 students or so instead of roughly 100.

_Tyrrell_ wrote: »
    There's only one class this year instead of two, hence the massive points jump. 60 students or so instead of roughly 100.
    I guess that explains it.

When are the first year timetables out ?

When are the first year timetables out ?
    The timetables should be available sometime this week via the student portal. You guys may not have access to your account until your registration day.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Mystery_who

hey guys just wondering what the classes are like in the business course? Is there 1 class or 2 classes? Because Me and my friend both got into the course but Im in group 1 and she's in group 2 for registration day, does this mean were in different classes even though its the same course?

Also on our first day in will we recieve our student cards?

hey guys just wondering what the classes are like in the business course? Is there 1 class or 2 classes? Because Me and my friend both got into the course but Im in group 1 and she's in group 2 for registration day, does this mean were in different classes even though its the same course?

Also on our first day in will we recieve our student cards?
    No it's just split into two groups for registration day. You should know your class on registration day which is Thursday and Friday I think? (There was a day mistake on the letters where they got the day wrong but the dates were correct).

Yeah I'm still undecided what I should do, I'd say I'll probably end up going to ncirl and trying to get into the level 8 course from there because that seems to be my best option , and I'm not too excited about the idea of going to athlone ,

Did you slept the level 6 ?
    Are you going to registration tomorrow.

Did you slept the level 6 ?
    Are you going to registration tomorrow.

Just seen this now, yep I accepted level 6 & was at registration today :) were you at it?

Just seen this now, yep I accepted level 6 & was at registration today :) were you at it?

Yep I was there.

• Advertisement

Yep I was there.

What did you think of it? :)

Advertisement