Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Place to go fresh water fishing for pike and camping at same time? Ideas???

• 21-03-2004 6:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭

I really have to organise a place to go pike fishing and camping at the same time. Am based in dublin but would like to go down the country somewhere and be accessible to a fishing shop for accessories.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,677 ✭✭✭jd

Not a pike angler- maybe try somewhere like portumna or mountshannon?

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

are you after river or lake fishing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭Michelangelo

Briben - anywhere really where I can do fresh water coarse fishing and go for pike at the same time. Ideas?

Cheers for replys guys.

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭bribren2001

my best advice for tench,roach,bream fishing would be to go to lanesboro co longford- im more of a game angler meself but i hear from fishing friends that lanesboro is the place to be.
    the peat station is located beside the shannon at lanesboro and releases hot water to the river which the fish thrive in and go mad on the feed!
    also if you get feed up with the river fishing you can go pike fishing out on lough Ree which is right beside lanesboro!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,125 ✭✭✭beer enigma

Can I suggest you have a look at the Virginia, Cavan area. There are three lakes there that provide excellent coarse fishing, with some decent pike too.

Try

Lough Ramor (plenty of pike over the 25lb mark)

Lough Kinale - great coarse fishing & some good pike, bu probably not ot the size of Ramor

Lacken Lake - again, good coarse, less pike

All waters are free for coarse/pike & well maintained - Kinale is heavily reeded & boats are available on all waters.

The local bars are good too !

Andi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 75 ✭✭TheC0CK

Is Cavan difficult to get to from Dublin?

I have heard many good things about those lakes aswell Andip. How big are they? How much is it to rent boats?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,723 ✭✭✭empirix

Prosperos - Royal Canal in Kildare is a ggod spot, no fishing shop but its a nice place to go camping and fish throughout the night, used to do it a lot when i was younger(prefer the fly these days). Theres also a pub a few miles walk away(about 20 mins) if you fancy a pint etc. Used to be great fishing there with some whopper tench to be had. Happy days

• Registered Users Posts: 775 ✭✭✭fiacha

you could also try Lough Muckno. Campsites around the lake with great course and pike fishing. Also walking distance from castleblaney town with shops and most importantly PUBS. not sure if there is a proper tackle shop in castleblaney. I'm pretty sure that you can get a bus direct from Dublin.

good time to be heading to Cavan with the big females feeding up before spawning. fishing should be pretty good aswell ;)

enjoy

• Registered Users Posts: 41 nippy

The Inniscarra Dam on the River Lee in Co. Cork is full of Pike. Plenty of places to camp and loads of information from any of the local tackle dealers. Try Murrays in Patrick Street.

The Lake at Lough Ramor (which is the oneI'd choose for camping/fishing) is only 49 miles from Dublin & have a great camp site on the shores - check out

http://www.camping-ireland.ie/c+ci/cavan/loughramor.html

Plenty of good Pike/Bream & Silvers

Another site to check out for Cavan waters is

http://www.infowing.ie/fishing/Cav2H.htm

That's as much as I know of the area - I'm a Cork Blackwater man myself

Andi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 91 ✭✭Unexpected

I second that. very true. I caught a 23lb pike and 5 jack pike from 6 - 10lbs there. very good place. That was one sitting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Bearsglen

have you tried the river barrow? down around borris is a good place. And you can camp.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Originally posted by Andip

Lough Kinale - great coarse fishing & some good pike, bu probably not ot the size of Ramor

Lacken Lake - again, good coarse, less pike

All waters are free for coarse/pike & well maintained - Kinale is heavily reeded & boats are available on all waters.

Kinale and Ramor are subject to a Shannon Regional Fisheries Board Permit as they fall within the Inny catchment area

see http://www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/midland-fisheries.htm for a list of the areas covered by this permit.
    From shannon fisheries site
    These waters are subject to a Shannon Regional Fisheries Board permit charge. The rates are Adult Annual €35.00; Pensioner/Disability Annual €18.00;. Juvenile Annual €12.00 Juvenile 1 Day €2.00 Day Permit €10.00 Visitors 21 Day: €18.00.

The only area within the Shannon Region not covered by the permit is the River Shannon itself where fishing is free.

Edit -> Scratch Ramor from that list. It is not actually part of the inny catchment area.

Good spot Pimp Ninja...thanks or that.

It seems that the days of free fishing are gradually coming to an end

(:

35 Euro!

Jesus!

What are the chances of fishing without paying a ludicrous price and not getting caught? :ninja:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 Shannon Fisheries

Hi All
    See that there is lots of chat on this thread looking for info. This may help you. The Shannon Regional Fisheries Board website provides extensive guides online to angling. For pike fishing one of the best fishing locations is the River Suck Valley and the River Inny system. See the following links
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/suck-valley.htm
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/mullingar.htm
    Angling advice is available at
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/advice.htm
    For angling fees and licences online see these links
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/rod-fees.htm
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/shopping/licences-online.htm
    Weekly fishing reports at
    www.shannon-fishery-board.ie/guides/coarse/fishing-reports.htm Worth looking at the archived reports also for info on areas that fish well

If you need further info or support contact the angling section Tel: 0509 21777 Email: info@shannon-fishery-board.ie
    Regards
    Brian Mc Manus
    Angling Section

• Registered Users Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭Pimp Ninja

Well the chances of getting caught...
    Dunno, depends on where you fish.

I am lead to believe, from reports on a few other sites, that there have been a lot of baliffs on the Suck recently checking licences.

However...
    I have also been told by a very knowledgable angler that you cant actually be charged with an offence if you dont hold a current licence.
    As he explained it no Irish president ever signed any laws regarding the fishing licences for either rod or catchment area so basically this means that the law itself has not been fully passed so cannot be acted upon.

I have done no research into this, it was just a conversation I had with somebody in a tackles shop, and could be totally wrong, but it might be worth checking out.

I wish there were good piking areas near dublin. Is blessington lake any good?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,008 ✭✭✭uch

Originally posted by Unexpected
    I wish there were good piking areas near dublin. Is blessington lake any good?

Blessington is great but it's not free, but why not fish one of the canals, they have a good head of small to midsized fish ( and I've seen a 20 pounder come out of the canal in Maynooth ) or try the Resovoir in Leixlip on the Liffey ( some very large specimens here ) or even the Liffey in Chapelizod at the rowing clubs will produce good fish.

21/25

The Irish Pike society have an active message board that may come in useful (Not that I'm looking to promote other boards)

http://www.irishpikesociety.com/

anyone else hear a rumour of a Zander being taken South of the border ??

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 p b

fiacha wrote: »
    you could also try Lough Muckno. Campsites around the lake with great course and pike fishing. Also walking distance from castleblaney town with shops and most importantly PUBS. not sure if there is a proper tackle shop in castleblaney. I'm pretty sure that you can get a bus direct from Dublin.

good time to be heading to Cavan with the big females feeding up before spawning. fishing should be pretty good aswell ;)

enjoy
    where in muckno do you camp i was told by 4" very nice" police men that there is no more camping up there

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

OP,

You should try Lough Derg. There are plenty of legal camping sites and rentable accomodation in the region.

Mountshannon, Killaloe, Dromineer, Garykennedy, and Whitegate all offer places to camp or rent. Whitegate in particular has some lovely lakeside holiday lodges available for rent, with boats also available to rent at most of the towns dotting the lake. If you get two or three to go with you, then a lodge would be an idea as you would literally be staying lakeside but would have the home comforts of the self catering lodge.

From personal experience I can say that the lake has some great pike in it, plenty in the 15lb to 25lb range and a few monster pike.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

Andip wrote: »

Hopefully thats not true.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

Andip wrote: »
    The Irish Pike society have an active message board that may come in useful (Not that I'm looking to promote other boards)

http://www.irishpikesociety.com/

There was talk of a zander being landed in the Shannon region some time ago, but no fish or even a photo of a fish ever turned up as proof.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

neil_hosey wrote: »
    Hopefully thats not true.

why?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,712 ✭✭✭neil_hosey

why?

They are a foreign species entering a water. In most cases this happens, it has massive ramifications for local fish stocks.

Pike will have less food as the zander would be targetting the same prey as them. Prey fish shoal sizes would shrink as there would now be 2 predators in the waters.

Any zander caught should be knocked on the head.

Trout anglers will go even more bananas when they catch a pike or a zander and will knock all them on the head if caught to preserve their lake. zander and Pike in the same lake would destroy a trout population.

Pike will suffer,
    Course will suffer,
    Trout will suffer

• Registered Users Posts: 1,498 ✭✭✭ironbluedun

neil_hosey wrote: »
    They are a foreign species entering a water. In most cases this happens, it has massive ramifications for local fish stocks.

Pike will have less food as the zander would be targetting the same prey as them. Prey fish shoal sizes would shrink as there would now be 2 predators in the waters.

Any zander caught should be knocked on the head.

cant agree more.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8 heyoheah

I really have to organise a place to go pike fishing and camping at the same time. Am based in dublin but would like to go down the country somewhere and be accessible to a fishing shop for accessories.
    try white wood lake its in cavan very good for camping and fishing
    http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/pike/cavan.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 167 ✭✭Tender Hoop

heyoheah wrote: »
    try white wood lake its in cavan very good for camping and fishing
    http://www.fishingireland.net/fishing/pike/cavan.htm

White wood has been hammered by irresponsible fishermen. There is litter everywhere and I mean everywhere, its disgusting. The coarse fishing is good but no pike.... for me anyway!!!

• Advertisement
Advertisement