Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What times are best for parking in UCD?

• 31-08-2014 11:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've heard parking is generally a nightmare on campus unless you're in before a certain time. The thing is, this "certain time" varies depending on who I talk to; some say you have to be in before 10, others say you have no chance unless you're in before 8.30.

Is there any point in trying to park on campus or would I be better parking nearby and walking?

(The nearest entrance to me is the one on Foster's Ave.)
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,999 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

I never tried to park on campus really, it's a pain in the ass. And you have to pay for it in some of the car parks. Would it be especially inconvenient for you to get the bus?

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

If you're in for a 9am start you'll definitely get a space. Any later and you will probably have some trouble. Though if you have a small car and are good at parking there's a good chance you'll find somewhere to squeeze into. There were a couple of times last year where I had to climb out of my window because I was too close to open the doors but sure anyway :)

Also there are estates like a 5-10 minute walk away along Foster's Ave so it's really not that big a deal to park there and walk in.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 QCS123

I never tried to park on campus really, it's a pain in the ass. And you have to pay for it in some of the car parks. Would it be especially inconvenient for you to get the bus?

The bus service near me is terrible so even though I don't live particularly far away it would mean 2 buses and about 2 hours to get in, so driving is my best option

McKrab wrote: »
    If you're in for a 9am start you'll definitely get a space. Any later and you will probably have some trouble. Though if you have a small car and are good at parking there's a good chance you'll find somewhere to squeeze into. There were a couple of times last year where I had to climb out of my window because I was too close to open the doors but sure anyway :)

Also there are estates like a 5-10 minute walk away along Foster's Ave so it's really not that big a deal to park there and walk in.

Small car - Check
    Good parking skills - debatable...

Though I know someone who lives off Foster's Ave so I'm wondering would I be better just going straight there and parking in the mornings and then walking?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

What about cycling? If you're not too far away, that would be a good option. I know someone who cycles from Firhouse because it's much quicker than taking the bus (and they don't have a car). You *should* be fine if you're in before 9, but there are never any guarantees, and the car parks are a mess at the moment.

• Advertisement

convert wrote: »
    What about cycling? If you're not too far away, that would be a good option. I know someone who cycles from Firhouse because it's much quicker than taking the bus (and they don't have a car). You *should* be fine if you're in before 9, but there are never any guarantees, and the car parks are a mess at the moment.

Can't cycle.... as in I don't know how....

This is awkward....

I think I'll just try to be in early enough and see how I get on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,406 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

Early is good but I've always found some spaces around 1/2pm too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I presume parking won't be a problem during orientation week?

My timetable is reasonably public transport-friendly, so I'll probably be bussing it from next week onwards, but I fancy being lazy this week. :)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,338 Mod ✭✭✭✭convert

RayM wrote: »
    I presume parking won't be a problem during orientation week?

My timetable is reasonably public transport-friendly, so I'll probably be bussing it from next week onwards, but I fancy being lazy this week. :)

The car park at vet/O'Reilly Hall and half of another carpark are closed all this week for graduation, so there's less spaces than usual.

• Registered Users Posts: 107 ✭✭Dores

you must be there before 9 am, later its almost impossible. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭ironclaw

Though if you have a small car and are good at parking there's a good chance you'll find somewhere to squeeze into. .

Please don't be this person. If you can't open your door, then the person can't beside you either. Its down right ignorant really, and I drove a small car the entire time I was there. The damage that can be caused to a panel is unreal. If my car has enough space to open the door and exit when I arrive, then it should do when I leave. If not, you parked too close and accept the consequences.

Front car park nearest the N11 will fill quickly with people parking and riding into Dublin city centre. Best car parks are the car parks nearest Quinn and Sunderland. On a quiet day, you'll get parking up to 9.30, the later being in the paid areas. Near the old Law building can be a hidden gem. Ag Car park is generally good in the evenings or after midday arrival.

If you are looking for parking mid day, aim to arrive about 10 past the hour as people who are leaving will generally be reaching their cars by then. If you are leaving, offer your space to someone circling but only offer to the person who actually follows the road signage (i.e. One ways) It will pay back in karma. If two approach, its settled by a game of rock, paper, scissors.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 McKrab

ironclaw wrote: »
    Please don't be this person. If you can't open your door, then the person can't beside you either. Its down right ignorant really, and I drove a small car the entire time I was there. The damage that can be caused to a panel is unreal. If my car has enough space to open the door and exit when I arrive, then it should do when I leave. If not, you parked too close and accept the consequences.

Don't worry I'm never that guy, I would only ever do it if the cars both had enough space on the other side.

Don't I'm never that guy, I would only ever do it if the cars both had enough space on the other side.

If you have to climb out your window, and in some cases I've seen people exiting via the boot, then there isn't enough room. Its not so much your car, its the damage someone is going to do to yours when they come back. A pair of jeans with studs against a panel will easily scratch, and worse if someone leaves their keys hanging out of their back pocket. I have no idea of sympathy for someone that parks that close to me, sorry I just don't.

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 585 ✭✭✭WildRosie

If you're in before 9 you'll get a space. There's usually spaces in the big overflow car park up near Richview for a while after too. If you're in after 9, if you hang around the car parks you'll eventually get a a space between ten to and ten past the hour as people leave after lectures.

• Registered Users Posts: 311 ✭✭chooey

I found I always had to be in by 9. If you want a spot in the vet carpark I needed to be in even earlier

• Registered Users Posts: 68 ✭✭scrummonkey

Three words... Off campus parking. I park on a road opposite the campus each semester. Never a problem with parking at any time. 7 minute walk to lectures. Simples...

• Registered Users Posts: 161 ✭✭tippgirl123

A lot of people park in the residence like Merville or belgrove.usually always spaces there. Belgrove would be the closest to the main campus/library and that end. Or Merville for the law end

Three words... Off campus parking. I park on a road opposite the campus each semester. Never a problem with parking at any time. 7 minute walk to lectures. Simples...

The one running parallel to the N11 is now pay and display, and with the new accommodation there I doubt it will last :( Just would advise people not to block peoples homes. Fair enough its common ground outside a house but its a mighty quick way to T someone off.

UPDATE: Parking's been ok this week but I've been in 8ish - I've ended up parking behind the Ag Science building and it's grand, 3 min walk to where I need to be. May change next week but we'll have to see I suppose :)

Thank you all for your help :)

Advertisement