Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weird, Wacky and Awesome World of the NFL - General Banter thread V2

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,821 ✭✭✭✭Realt Dearg Sec

Pherekydes wrote: »
    April fool. But I love the first comment: now he can get injured doing something else.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

April fool.

Boo! At least it was a good one. He was a world class hurdler as a teenager. (World leading junior at 17)
    But I love the first comment: now he can get injured doing something else.

At least it wouldn't be a concussion.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Boo! At least it was a good one. He was a world class hurdler as a teenager. (World leading junior at 17)

At least it wouldn't be a concussion.

He'd find a way.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,630 ✭✭✭nerd69

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25132509

He is such a loveable cartoon character.

• Advertisement

• HigginsJ wrote: »
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/eye-on-football/25132509

He is such a loveable cartoon character.

He's grand like!

The bromance thing from NFL fans is a bit OTT, the way football fans idolise everything Ibrahimovic does and start gushing the minute he opens his mouth, even if he actually says little of note.

• Registered Users Posts: 397 ✭✭Areyouwell

He's grand like!

The bromance thing from NFL fans is a bit OTT, the way football fans idolise everything Ibrahimovic does and start gushing the minute he opens his mouth, even if he actually says little of note.

I'm a soccer fan and I don't see this Ibrahimovic thing you talk about, so that's not a great comparison. Anyway, I don't know how you can compare a pansy soccer player to a guy who plays a man's sport..:pac:. Unlike Ibramhimovic, Gronk is an unstoppable beast on the field at his position and he will most likely retire as the GOAT TE. And he just happens to be a cool, completely likeable dude off the field. As a Colts fan I have every reason to hate him, but it's just not possible :(.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

He's grand like!

its the fact that he makes no apologies for how he is, he does **** everyone wants to do and doesnt try to be a cringy saint for cameras like russel ****ing wilson

its the fact that he makes no apologies for how he is, he does **** everyone wants to do and doesnt try to be a cringy saint for cameras like russel ****ing wilson

So does Johnny Manziel but he gets nothing but grief for his partying (that was true in the months after he drafted and before he played in the nfl). I don't believe for a second that gronk would get all this love for his antics except that he's really good. It's nothing to do, really, with his antics, bad players get hauled over the coals, good players get lauded and celebrated.

• Areyouwell wrote: »
    I'm a soccer fan and I don't see this Ibrahimovic thing you talk about, so that's not a great comparison.

You haven't seen all the memes and quotes (usually made up, usually where he refers to himself in the third person)? It's like one of those Chuck Norris things. People just attribute all these "gas" stories and quotes to him.

BfJ_CpQIAAAVxSw.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,438 ✭✭✭ Princess Scarce Orate

I don't believe for a second that gronk would get all this love for his antics except that he's really good.
    That is true. But he's really good because he takes his football very seriously.
    Even after the injuries his sustained, he remains true to his style and gives it everything (e.g. that TD against the Colts).
    We've yet to see that type of dedication from Manziel.

We've yet to see that type of dedication from Manziel.
    ]

And we never will.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 929 ✭✭✭JCTO

So does Johnny Manziel but he gets nothing but grief for his partying (that was true in the months after he drafted and before he played in the nfl). I don't believe for a second that gronk would get all this love for his antics except that he's really good. It's nothing to do, really, with his antics, bad players get hauled over the coals, good players get lauded and celebrated.

The problem is Manziel was partying hard before he ever got his shot in the Pros. Gronk kept himself low key with his partying and didn't bring attention to himself. Manziel downfall is that the world of the NFL was watching him and he continued acting like a party animal.

He should have calmed down got to the Pros do his job and then do what Gronk does enjoy himself with his success. Manziel has yet to show any real commitment either so he basically shot himself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 121 ✭✭Langdon Alger

DO NOT ABUSE OR ENJOY THE BILL BELICHICK OFFSEASON SIMULATOR
    http://www.sbnation.com/2015/3/31/7979801/bill-belichick-offseason-simulator

• Registered Users Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Clowney not expected to be back until the end of training camp, per NFL.com.

http://www.rotoworld.com/headlines/nfl/309405/Texans-hope-OLB-Clowney-returns-late-in-camp?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter
    The Texans are targeting the "end of training camp" for OLB Jadeveon Clowney (microfracture surgery) to return to the football field.

That would be eight months after his procedure. Although there have been upbeat reports on Clowney's progress coming out of Houston, no one knows for sure how much his knee cartilage will regenerate, and no one will have a good feel for the results of his recovery until he resumes playing for an extended period. The Texans can't count on Clowney as a 2015 impact contributor.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

Not really worried about it to be honest,pretty sure he didnt show up to voluntary camp last year either. Mike Maccagnan has already said he'll sit down with Mo after the draft too. But if this is a hold out type situation I understand Mo's frustration, he has been patient and did and said all the right things. I still expect him to be here long term but clearly he wants to speed up that process.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

Paully D wrote: »

Microfracture surgery can be hit and miss and is notoriously difficult to return from. The biggest factor is how long a player has played with/through an injury, that will determine the size of the bone incision site. Some medical evidence out there, suggests that microfracture surgery isn't an effective long term solution for anyone who puts their knees under tremendous stressors. And elite athletes run a risk of never being able to play at the level they previously played at. So I'd be very worried if I was a Texans fan.

Microfracture surgery can be hit and miss and is notoriously difficult to return from. The biggest factor is how long a player has played with/through an injury, that will determine the size of the bone incision site. Some medical evidence out there, suggests that microfracture surgery isn't an effective long term solution for anyone who puts their knees under tremendous stressors. And elite athletes run a risk of never being able to play at the level they previously played at. So I'd be very worried if I was a Texans fan.

do you know even if he comes back would it heavily affect that athleticism?

• Registered Users Posts: 950 ✭✭✭nasty_crash

i think he will be back but maybe not as good - but in saying that he didnt do fantastically in the 4 games he did play! If he is 75% of the player he was in college - on this line with watt and wilfork - he will be a beast!

Aparently one of the keys to the surgery was the 6 week rest period after - that he couldnt move the knee at all! that if he did the procedure wouldnt take and it would have been needed to be done again! Yikes

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

nerd69 wrote: »
    do you know even if he comes back would it heavily affect that athleticism?

Put it this way, I'b be shocked if he doesn't lose a step. But it's hard to know how much, but I'v never heard of an elite sportsperson returning from microfracture surgery, getting back to 100% the level they were previously at. And you notice the drop off the higher the level they previously played at. That said, I've also never noticed a sportsperson taking the right amount of time to rehab & recovery from this surgery. That's the danger of this surgery, an athlete may look 100%, get through all their prep, drills & exercises at 100%. The problem is, new cartilage growth from the surgery & the healing process with cartilage, is a very slow process. Athletes will feel 100% long before the cartliage really is 100%.

This brings up the other big concern and that would be, the high risk of failure the knee (cartilage) could suffer when he returns to the field. The longer he rests, the better chance he has of success, but I can't see the Texans being prepared to wait 18 months to let him achieve this. If it was my choice, I wouldn't put him back on field for at least 18 months. He's only 22 years old and if his health is managed right, he still have a very good career in front of him. But it all boils down to whether they want to rush it, or patiently wait.

The other factor with this surgery is, how long will he get from it? Will he get 3 years? 5 years? Or even longer? In order to even undergo Microfracture surgery, you must already have had a fairly significant amount of damage & erosion of the cartilage in the joint. I have read some comparing this surgery to being like filling in the holes on a badly potholed road. It tries to promote the growth of new healthy cartilage where the damaged cartilage was. How long this repair lasts for with Clowney is anyone's guess. That's why for me, the slowly slowly approach should be the only game in town for him right now.

thats an awful shame i think everyone was curious to see how he would perform in the nfl (although id have liked to see him in a 4-3 more anyway) but it looks like it could end up one of the big what ifs now

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

There a video posted a while back where a qb identifies a lb as the mike. The lb then start shouting he's not the mike. Can't seem to find it, any help?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,636 ✭✭✭phatkev

• Registered Users Posts: 7,317 ✭✭✭HigginsJ

leVeon Bell to receive a 3 game ban. Bit of a blow for the Steelers.

HigginsJ wrote: »
    leVeon Bell to receive a 3 game ban. Bit of a blow for the Steelers.

Ravens to play the Steelers within the first 3 gameweeks please!

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Troy retires

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Who gets the most media requests in Baltimore? Flacco? Suggs? No, it's our 5th round guard from Penn State

With smartz like this we gotta move him to center!! :cool:

Don't ask me what those symbols mean, I did pass maths in my leaving

344667.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,639 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Best thing about maths is Pi

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Chucky the tree

I don't know how, but I completely missed the whole Darren Sharper story until now. Holy ****.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darren_Sharper#Sexual_assault_convictions

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement