Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Munster Team Talk/Gossip/Rumours Thread II

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 577 ✭✭✭neilmulvey

jm08 wrote: »
    Thats 2 years ago, would you get over it!

He was the best scrumhalf on the Lions tour and you think he is only showing signs of maturing.:confused:

Fairplay to Kidney - he saw his potential and stuck with him. Same with Zebo, Henderson, Gilroy & POM (and a few others) now we have the backbone of a new generation of players.

Kidney didnt choose these players over others, Kidney had little or no choice in some cases. Kidney is the guy who took Paddy Wallace from a beach in Portugal and put him into the Irish midfield last year against the ABs a few days later despite having options in NZ already.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,296 ✭✭✭✭jm08

neilmulvey wrote: »
    you dismissed two very good, experienced scrum halfs as contenders for the 9 jersey. The problems ran far deeper then the injury list.

Both are 32/33 - hardly the future. They certainly won't make the next world cup. And the proof that Kidney has got it right is that on the back of 16 international starts Murray made a Lions Tour (as tackle bag holder) and worked his way up to a test spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,713 ✭✭✭✭phog

yeah like its not as if Reddan or Boss have won multiple HECs or anything.

Reasons similar to this could be why Gatland went with 10 Welsh players and dropped BOD and Heaslip from the final test, Wales have won more Grand Slams.

We all know Murray was lucky to get his first cap, we all know he hasn't always been top of his game, we all know the full squad haven't been top of their game, but criticism of some more than others seem to be more acceptable, Murray is one that seems to be fair game.

Both are 32/33 - hardly the future. They certainly won't make the next world cup. And the proof that Kidney has got it right is that on the back of 16 international starts Murray made a Lions Tour (as tackle bag holder) and worked his way up to a test spot.

both are 33 but thats not the point. Ireland are too wrapped up in world cup cycles and I cant understand why. We wont win it anytime soon so IMO we should target the 6N year on year for success.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 392 ✭✭JagerScout

Thats 2 years ago, would you get over it!

thats all you have? you're losing your touch.
    He was the best scrumhalf on the Lions tour and you think he is only showing signs of maturing.:confused:

Fairplay to Kidney - he saw his potential and stuck with him. Same with Zebo, Henderson, Gilroy & POM (and a few others) now we have the backbone of a new generation of players.

He was the best and fair play to him, he has quite clearly improved a lot. Still does not justify his selection two years ago and Kidney's blind insistence that he was first choice.

Ah yeah sure Kidney did a great job didn't he?:rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Kidney didnt choose these players over others, Kidney had little or no choice in some cases. Kidney is the guy who took Paddy Wallace from a beach in Portugal and put him into the Irish midfield last year against the ABs a few days later despite having options in NZ already.

I'm not going to go into all the various selections made by Kidney - my main point is this I think its a good thing that Murray, Gilroy, Henderson, Zebo, POM all got chances from Kidney and fair play to them they have taken them. Murray in particular has done well - but hardly surprising as he seems to have a habit of working his way up very quickly (U20s he started on the bench and ended up being the first choice SH).

phog wrote: »
    Reasons similar to this could be why Gatland went with 10 Welsh players and dropped BOD and Heaslip from the final test, Wales have won more Grand Slams.

We all know Murray was lucky to get his first cap, we all know he hasn't always been top of his game, we all know the full squad haven't been top of their game, but criticism of some more than others seem to be more acceptable, Murray is one that seems to be fair game.

Im not against Murray, I just dont believe he should be guaranteed his place just because Boss and Reddan are 33, both have 2-3 years left in them and are very good SHs. Murray will be better then both in time.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Because he started to stand much flatter with Murray.

No I believe it was Sexton and Howley responsible for that.

Because he started to stand much flatter with Murray.

talk about jumping to conclusions based on nothing..

Im not against Murray, I just dont believe he should be guaranteed his place just because Boss and Reddan are 33, both have 2-3 years left in them and are very good SHs. Murray will be better then both in time.

No one should be guaranteed their place.

• Advertisement

No I believe it was Sexton and Howley responsible for that.

And how would Sexton be responsible for that and anyway Sexton was standing pretty deep in the early stages of the tour.

Because Murray is a breaking threat himself (as well having a quick pass), pressure was taken off the outhalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,770 ✭✭✭danthefan

Sexton was standing pretty deep in the early stages of the tour.

Whoa whoa whoa there.

You're telling us they both were standing deep early in the tour and both standing flatter later in the tour.

And you're attributing this to Murray, rather than say a shift in tactics?

Well good for you.

Murray was picked for his physicality in the world cup game against Wales. Worth noting is that Ireland have never beaten Wales with Eoin Reddan as the starting scrumhalf.

Boss isn't an international scrumhalf.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

I'd be shocked if he left Australia but he'd command huge money in Europe given his versatility.

Of course, but he would be a perfect signing for us. With Rog & Dougie off the books, who knows! .....it's Sunday, I'm allowed hope for miracles

Murray was picked for his physicality in the world cup game against Wales. Worth noting is that Ireland have never beaten Wales with Eoin Reddan as the starting scrumhalf.

picked for being big and strong rather than actually being a good scumhalf, vintage Kidney.

Wonder why he is currently unemployed.

JagerScout wrote: »
    picked for being big and strong rather than actually being a good scumhalf, vintage Kidney.

Wonder why he is currently unemployed.

Who's unemployed?

Edited to add - he was and is a good scrum half, his size and strength is what may have helped Kidney select him over the other options.

Who's unemployed?

000452c5-642.jpg

000452c5-642.jpg

Isn't he employed by UCC.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭Tomtom364

Who's unemployed?

Edited to add - he was and is a good scrum half, his size and strength is what may have helped Kidney select him over the other options.

He is actually still employed In pres as a teacher but anyways.

Isn't he employed by UCC.

That's certainly a step up.

But of course I meant in professional rugby.

Kidney did such a good job he is in high demand by amateur sides throughout Munster.

• Advertisement

danthefan wrote: »
    Whoa whoa whoa there.

You're telling us they both were standing deep early in the tour and both standing flatter later in the tour.

And you're attributing this to Murray, rather than say a shift in tactics?

Well good for you.

A shift in tactics if you like to call changing the partnerships around.

Murray only started one game with Farrell (last mid-week game against the Rebels) having played 20 mins against the Brumbies in the previous mid-week game. Thats around the time everyone was saying that Farrell was standing much flatter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,430 ✭✭✭testicle

Lelantos wrote: »
    Of course, but he would be a perfect signing for us. With Rog & Dougie off the books, who knows! .....it's Sunday, I'm allowed hope for miracles

ROG had a Central Contract

Kidney did such a good job he is in high demand by amateur sides throughout Munster.

More bull, he finished with Ireland only a few months ago, we've no idea if he was interested in getting into coaching/managing again or did he want to take a break.

Your posts are a bit condescending really.

Its UCC Sporting Director*, not coaching rugby.

*linked with the job.

More bull, he finished with Ireland only a few months ago, we've no idea if he was interested in getting into coaching/managing again or did he want to take a break.

what we do know is that he was fired.. because he performed terribly..

and that currently he is no longer employed as a rugby coach in any capacity.. because he performed terribly..

what we do know is that he was fired.. because he performed terribly..

and that currently he is no longer employed as a rugby coach in any capacity.. because he performed terribly..

Can't really recall was he fired or his contract not wasn't renewed, wasn't a huge issue for me.

Either way, to date he's been the most successful coach in Ireland.

Either way, to date he's been the most successful coach in Ireland.

Joe-SchmidtLeinsterRugby.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Lelantos

testicle wrote: »
    ROG had a Central Contract

Yes, but there was an offer on the table for a new contract, that was from Munster, not a Central contract. That money should be available for a player

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

Lelantos wrote: »
    Yes, but there was an offer on the table for a new contract, that was from Munster, not a Central contract. That money should be available for a player

Howlett was originally going to be offered an extension by the sounds of it as well, before he was forced to retire because of injury.

I'm completely guessing figures here but I'd say the money that would have been allocated to both contracts would be around €300k-€350k between the two players. So there should be money for new players, if Munster needed the money for something else then there would have been no talk of an extension for either ROG or Howlett in the first place.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,668 ✭✭✭Mahatma Geansai

Howlett was originally going to be offered an extension by the sounds of it as well, before he was forced to retire because of injury.

I'm completely guessing figures here but I'd say the money that would have been allocated to both contracts would be around €300k-€350k between the two players. So there should be money for new players, if Munster needed the money for something else then there would have been no talk of an extension for either ROG or Howlett in the first place.

Remember that there was money there for Fitz too on top of the cash there for ROG and Howlett.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement