Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Higher diploma, Computer science (conversion course)

Options
  • 28-01-2016 4:48pm
    Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,

I was wondering could anyone tell me what the course is like? Also what were your job prospects like after completion? If coming from another discipline was it difficult to get adjusted to the maths?

The placement seems like it would be invaluable.

Considering going back and doing it in September of this year as I am not getting much luck with my current M.A.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭echancrure

I teach on this course.

The course is tough enough if you do not come from an engineering or science background. I do not think it is the 'math' element that causes trouble but rather the precision in thinking that is essential in all software development courses. You have to be ready to put in the hours: programming does not come naturally to many people.

The amount of terminology that you have to grasp is large.

I do not have official stats on employment after the course, maybe you should contact the course director. Bur anecdotally the prospects are very good and varied.

If you plan to join and have some spare time, you should have a go at learning coding (Java is used) and html. An introduction to the software industry (e.g. http://www.newagepublishers.com/samplechapter/001036.pdf) would not ago amiss either.

Hope this helps.

Advertisement