Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bug Out Bag

Options
  • 21-01-2014 8:19pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭

Whats in your bug out bag?

Been reading a few (american) threads, but they were general survivalist ones, and had lots of items in their bug-out-bag / grab-bag / get-out-of-dodge bag but some items were very american (eg guns & ammo!)

So, whats in your b-o-b? Do you keep one ready? Where? What can be improvised?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well since I went back to college I've been lugging a bag around, so i decided to add a few essentials.

Leatherman
    Torch
    matches
    wet wipes
    small first aid kit
    small towel
    hip flask
    hat

there's usually also some sort of food items and a bottle of water

chargers for various stuff

oh and my college stuff,
    pencilcase
    a4 pad
    calculators
    log tables
    notes

must add back in a few pairs of socks and a shirt

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I'm not to worried a out a bug out bag.

First of all, I'm in the countryside living in a small town. It would be next to impossible for my area to get overrun with zombies without a few days notice.

2. There are natural springs all over this area, so there are few worries about water.

3. I'm going to fortify rather than run.

4. Where would I run to in Ireland? I'd cross the country in 3 -4 days. Most the country is populated so I'd only be running from one populated area to another where nobody knows me. There are few wild areas to hide out in.

ah but mine is more a case of having a bag with useful stuff in it, there's also masking tape and a stapler, and i have a second smaller bag with my android tablet, cigs, lighter, Swiss army knife, phone etc...

water may be plentiful but you need a method of transportation

• Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

How much do I need to get together to organize a good b.o.b?

Rucksack, army surplus bag or satchel?

satchel.

it should be a smallish bag with a few useful items that you can keep handy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,750 ✭✭✭john the one

But think of the benefits of a ruck sack, more comfortable, easier to run with, van be used to keep your head dry etc.

I'm gonna start mine today with some para cord, silver tape, swiss knife, black bags, matches and zip locks

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Tzar Chasm wrote: »
    and i have a second smaller bag with my android tablet,
    Why did I read that as a tablet that turns you into an android? :D

I have my fubar in the car if that counts.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,949 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

How much do I need to get together to organize a good b.o.b?

Rucksack, army surplus bag or satchel?

Depends where you are at the time.Have you a car and can stash a ruck in the boot?If not it might look a tad out of place in a office situation.Or it might get you stopped at a police/military checkpoint at the quarantine area.

Urban get you home bag would suggest a messanger type bag with a sling looks normal in an urban enviroment,and for your BOB then use the rucksack.However do have a place to BO to! You are not going to live long out of a ruck TBH so dont fall for the "backpack survivalist" idea.Wilderness is in short supply in Ireland.:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 2,087 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

yea, of course, it does matter where you are (urban / rural) and where you want to bug out too.

I find myself picking up good bits from time to time (wind up torch, nice leather-man, etc) and putting them aside "in case of emergency" and then not using them again, and forgetting I have them! lol

I think a b-o-b should be small (between satchel and smallish-backack ... think about a kids school backpack). You will never be able to take everything you need. I would have just the things that keep me going for a day or two, and allow me to start a survival plan.

My list
    Multi function knife or leatherman
    torch & batteries
    first aid kit
    survival blanket
    water bottle
    cigarette lighter (dont see the point of matches or flint and steel)
    radio & batteries
    mars bar / energy bar

In my car & house I have other stuff, as I would stay home for the first week or so and see how it goes. But just in case I have to leave quickish , I can grab boots / coat / tin-o-beans / weapon / camping stove / etc

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

I have only 4 items in my bug out bag
    Hannibal
    Murdock
    Face
    BA

They can build me anything from a role of celatape and some hair clips.

Sorted.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement