Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Calling all Zombie hunters!

• 12-08-2013 12:39am
    Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭

Time to choose...

1. A Lone zombie, dead of night in a house with a flashlight and a blunt weapon.
    REWARD: Safe house for the night.

2. 5 zombies in the open with a handgun.
    REWARD: Vehicle with fuel, food and medicine.

3. 20 zombies in the distance with a sniper rifle. (but with no fence for defense).
    REWARD: Farm with supplies a plenty and a wind turbine.

4. 100 zombies with a minigun, 10 grenades, and 4 SPAS-12's all locked and loaded. (not sure if there is a tripod mount for the minigun, but i'll allow it)
    REWARD: The Town is yours to plunder.

Standard shuffling zombies, though still not for the faint of heart, if any of them survived.

I would choose no. 3, as having never shot a sniper rifle i can only assume it is simple, especially reloading. :D

Weapons are as non-negotiable as the rewards.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 762 ✭✭✭jebus84

im leaning towards 4,mini gun might wipe out over half and ive a good throw I might wipe them all out with ammo to spare,wouldnt touch the sniper rifle on a windy day ya could be ****ed and youd need all head shots

• Registered Users Posts: 10,731 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

playing it safe, 1. for me :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,934 ✭✭✭Renegade Mechanic

Interesting! Im inclined to go for two. Never know, I might come across an empty town 200 miles away!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,420 ✭✭✭✭Witcher

What's the distance for number 3?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,477 ✭✭✭Hootanany

No 3 bolt action or clip?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 783 ✭✭✭Kromdar

2. handgun would have 7-15 rounds depending. lure them into a line and point blank their heads.
    maybe 1. at a push.

reasons against others:
    1. - i'm not confident in my blunt weapon skills, there may be splatter, unnecessary risk to self when you could just outrun it. arguably if its a 2 storey house, you could lure it up stairs, kick it back down the stairs and finish it with the blunt.

3. i know from games at least that the closer they get the more you panic fire. also a sniper is noisy, and depending on reload [biggest sniper mag is 10-20 shots] they may outrun ya before you pick them all off. calibre also, too small you need a headshot [.223], too big and you're gonna break an arm [.50]

4. i dont know how to operate a minigun effectively, or even a spas-12. it would be pretty bad if they overrun the emplacement, leaving you to carry 4 SPAS @ 4.5kg [thats 20 kilos or a decent sized CRT-TV] worth of guns. ideally, i'd pump the 3 remaining guns empty and just take the shells. also, you screw up throwing a grenade and zombies will be the least of your worries. oh and 10 grenades is another 4-6kg, not much but meh.

• Registered Users Posts: 680 ✭✭✭AllthingsCP

Time to choose...

1. A Lone zombie, dead of night in a house with a flashlight and a blunt weapon.
    REWARD: Safe house for the night.

2. 5 zombies in the open with a handgun.
    REWARD: Vehicle with fuel, food and medicine.

3. 20 zombies in the distance with a sniper rifle. (but with no fence for defense).
    REWARD: Farm with supplies a plenty and a wind turbine.

4. 100 zombies with a minigun, 10 grenades, and 4 SPAS-12's all locked and loaded. (not sure if there is a tripod mount for the minigun, but i'll allow it)
    REWARD: The Town is yours to plunder.

Standard shuffling zombies, though still not for the faint of heart, if any of them survived.

I would choose no. 3, as having never shot a sniper rifle i can only assume it is simple, especially reloading. :D

Weapons are as non-negotiable as the rewards.

No] 1. Play it safe, Maybe able to spend more then a night if its a good location.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

I'd take #4, but I'd personally prefer the blunt weapon instead of all the fancy stuff.

Take them down 1 at a time, pure stealth.

• Registered Users Posts: 833 ✭✭✭southcentralts

Blay wrote: »
    What's the distance for number 3?

1000 yd's if your confidence is high, I would go at about 550 yd's, and patiently pick them off over the whole day, they would be more likely to charge at someone firing 1-2 shots a minute, than 2-3 shots per hour, and there is a good likelihood they will get the direction wrong. I would be doubtful of a zombies spatial awareness, but that is a whole other thread for another day.

The wind turbine is the ultimate prize, then it is time to grab your minigun and head to gamestop for a few zombie games:cool:.
    Hootanany wrote: »
    No 3 bolt action or clip?

whichever you feel comfortable with.

Though good luck finding this
    images?q=tbn:ANd9GcSqsfeVsCdDsUkc3ZUVP0dDxvI9bqfjWq66ymbTrc7Wj_DXfaROYg

Suppressed sniper rifle would be awesome for ZA but probably best to avoid the IR scope.

I'd take #4, but I'd personally prefer the blunt weapon instead of all the fancy stuff.

Take them down 1 at a time, pure stealth.

Another The Last of Us master, seems good in theory though if you get spotted in any of the first 90, you are in real trouble, and I doubt there would be a playstation left in the country if there was a level with 100 stealth kills. I now really want to play that level:(.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭bushball

where would you be for no. 4 like would you be in a middle of a street and zombies streaming in from the front or a house?

bushball wrote: »
    where would you be for no. 4 like would you be in a middle of a street and zombies streaming in from the front or a house?

A small town or big Village. With only 100 zombie inhabitants, Zombieville lies in a valley surrounded by difficult terrain. The virus was allowed in through the misguided trust of the towns leadership toward refugees from the city. When will people learn that a 2 day quarantine is the only defense against the zombie virus.

are the zombies coming from all directions out of interest having an argument with a friend

jebus84 wrote: »
    are the zombies coming from all directions out of interest having an argument with a friend

That depends on how you choose to take them on, though assuming you are referring to no. 4 you can position yourself in the school/church/gaa pitch with limited access points.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭badgerhowlin

#2 for me.
    food and medicine would be high on my list for the moment. Vehicle with fuel, Would come in handy for the time been until I can find a good place to bug down. Will keep me Dry while its raining too. And if it comes down to it I could Sleep in it, but it might be my coffin!

That depends on how you choose to take them on, though assuming you are referring to no. 4 you can position yourself in the school/church/gaa pitch with limited access points.
    4 definatly than, if i could find wire i might be able to rig the nades as tripwires in the streets, lure a few zed down into it and hide in a building and rig the entraces and take the top floor where the mini gun would be set, the intial nade taking out zombies while luring more in, from there its a slaughter between the rest of the traps, the mini gun and spas-12's, bit risky but worth it for a town

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,396 ✭✭✭Frosty McSnowballs

No.3 for me.

Hitting a target at 550 yards with a sniper rifle isn't as easy as you think. Adjusting for wind is the main problem. If you have a good bit of ammo then you should be ok.

bushball wrote: »
    4 definatly than, if i could find wire i might be able to rig the nades as tripwires in the streets, lure a few zed down into it and hide in a building and rig the entraces and take the top floor where the mini gun would be set, the intial nade taking out zombies while luring more in, from there its a slaughter between the rest of the traps, the mini gun and spas-12's, bit risky but worth it for a town

Nice, I congratulate your cunning and guile in clearing out Zombieville, will you be renaming it?

Bit of a risk luring Z's into a grenade trap, if one gets there ahead of the rest, but with a good vantage point you could take out their legs with the spas-12 until a group arrives.
    No.3 for me.

Hitting a target at 550 yards with a sniper rifle isn't as easy as you think. Adjusting for wind is the main problem. If you have a good bit of ammo then you should be ok.

True, but at that distance it is possible to hit them without necessarily drawing them all on you, leaving plenty of time to take them out when they get closer, with plenty of reloading time and no panic. Also incapacitating them by firing into a group indiscriminately leaving crawlers will help too. Just move closer and pop them off with headshots once you have dealt with the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

i'd need some more specifics on the weapon, but I'm leaning towards 3.
    the major variants of sniper rifle come in. 50 cal or some variant on the 7.62

if its a 7.62 i'd lean towards finding a decent spot where I can channel the z's into an ambush situation and patiently take head shots til I have the 20 nailed from a distance.

if its a. 50 I would be a bit more cavalier with the intention of body shots imobilising them so I could mop them up at leisure.

overall 3 has the greatest risk reward profile, whilst one kill for a house or five for a car are good options, the farm offers the capacity to fulfill all your survival needs into the long term.

4 holds no appeal to me (besides the obvious craic of letting rip with a mini gun til I run out of ammo after 30 seconds) what do I need a village for? does it have farmland? what's the advantage of an unoccupied village over an unoccupied farm?

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

if its a 7.62 i'd lean towards finding a decent spot where I can channel the z's into an ambush situation and patiently take head shots til I have the 20 nailed from a distance.

if its a. 50 I would be a bit more cavalier with the intention of body shots imobilising them so I could mop them up at leisure.

overall 3 has the greatest risk reward profile, whilst one kill for a house or five for a car are good options, the farm offers the capacity to fulfill all your survival needs into the long term.

4 holds no appeal to me (besides the obvious craic of letting rip with a mini gun til I run out of ammo after 30 seconds) what do I need a village for? does it have farmland? what's the advantage of an unoccupied village over an unoccupied farm?
    well for one a town can hold valuable things-safehouses, cars, supplies but i see your point, 100-1 is a big risk

• Advertisement

Tzar Chasm wrote: »

I am not too keen on lugging a .50 cal around (especially the Barrett M82A1) and it would surely draw every zombie to it, though that may be best, as if you got a few in a line,
    ;)...<===>
    [============#
    :pac:--:pac:--:pac:--:pac:--:pac::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:
    .....//....!_!..../\

You may not want the town for yourself, but it would be a valuable commodity in the ZA. Hell it would look good an a CV even now, can clear a town of zombies with a minigun, spas-12 and a few grenades, certain to generate a few follow up questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

well i'd rather drag a barrat around than the big bag of guns in option 4.

maybe its because I come from an agricultural background but i just can't see anything but disadvantages to the village option.

the farm will have food, vehicles, secure accommodation and probably power via generators and its own well

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

I'd take an M21 sniper rifle as it's got a large enough mag and very little recoil.

It's gotta be option 3.

REWARD: Farm with supplies a plenty and a wind turbine

Question.

Are the Zs a distance fromthe Farm or are they in the farm and you have to kill them from the distance.

Would love the Farm BUT once you fire off the 20 shots +, (Lets face it ant going to get head shot everytime) you would have to stay away form the farm for a few hours if not a Day. The Gun shots could\would draw more nearby Zs there. Since there is no defences you would be asking for trouble, to move into the farm house straight away.

You could alway build you own fences after you take the farm BUT that would take days to get it strong enought to hold back the Zs

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

No 3 is off my menu straight away. Making a head shot from distance would take years of training.

Option 4 for me.

Aim low and take their legs. Use the shotgun to mop up, either shooting or handle to the sally noggin.

Option 4 would be the most fun for the biggest reward.

you should add a poll OP

Off topic.
    Micky I love your Avatar. Where can I ask did you get it????

On topic.
    No would not go into a town with 100 Zs too many places for them to jump our at you. And on top of that you would need to keep a good count of how many you have killed. Would be a bitch to have killed 99 of them and you happy as Larry, and you round a corner and chomp the last zombie has you all because you thought you had got all 100 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Off topic.
    Micky I love your Avatar. Where can I ask did you get it????

Stole it :P

Stole it :P

And the infection has begun...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,029 ✭✭✭salacious crumb

Interesting! Im inclined to go for two. Never know, I might come across an empty town 200 miles away!

I concur.

Although option 4 does sound like a lot of fun :D

Advertisement