Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

2013 Sean Kelly Tour of Waterford (SKT)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Chello2013

Hi
    I'm looking for a 100km entry if anyone can't make - Will pay full price.
    Please PM me.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭DUBintheSTICKS

Through my own fault I left it to late,

I'm looking for 100km entry also or two if at all possible,

Will pay full price, DM please

Regards,

DUBintheSTICKS

• Registered Users Posts: 4 BabC

Hi

Just wondering if anyone has an entry number that they are not using for the 50 km route -Sean Kelly Tour. Will pay the cost of the entry fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 195 ✭✭Felloffmebike

Probably in a big queue but a colleague of mine is looking for a 100k spot if anyone not going.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭The Noble Nudge

bazermc wrote: »
    For those coming from outside the area, has anybody managed to book a hotel for the night before.

I have started to look at availability in the area, but most of the hotels appear to be full.

Alternatively I could drive down that morning from Dublin but would be an early start assuming drive time from city centre is approx 2 hours meaning leaving the house around 6am to be on time for the 100 start at 9. And then another 2 hours back home that evening. has any Dub cyclist done this before and would they recommend it

Did the 160km last year left Dublin early think it was an hour and a half to the toll bridge in Waterford. One of the lads were staying in hotel so got a shower and food before returning.
    Just reading page 6 the hotel; we got the shower in was the gold coast........we parked and cycled out of it to the start.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3 2Xpresso

Ciann wrote: »
    May not be much use but I've a 50km entry and can't make it, PM me if you're interested.
    Hi,

SKT 50km reg gone ? If not will take it. can be contacted on 2xpresso@gmail.com
    tks

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Jobin1

Hi,

Another one who left it too late to register for this.

If anyone has a spare 100k, I'll pay full price.

Please PM me & I can get back to you.

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Spot now gone, thanks for the interest

• Registered Users Posts: 2,475 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Jobin1 wrote: »
    Hi,

Another one who left it too late to register for this.

If anyone has a spare 100k or 160k registration (100k preferably), I'll pay full price.

Please PM me & I can get back to you.

Thanks

Check your inbox.....

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

I have a spot for the 160 km route for sale at 40.00, pm me if you want. I can then email the organiser to change details.
    I am interested and you have a PM.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,033 ✭✭✭Funkyzeit

Another one looking for a 160 entry. Muchos Gracias

• Registered Users Posts: 963 ✭✭✭detones

Hey anybody want to talk about the actual upcoming event.

It's my first time to do it. Have done a few 100k plus events this year, the ROK, the Tour of Meath 160, Swords CC 145k and several 100k spins and sportives but am a bit daunted about the prospect of the SKT. I'm not much of a climber but have improved a lot, my limited talents lie in descending, maintaining high (to me) speed on the flats and short sprints.

So been reading on the SKT website and they say there's 4 Cat 1 climbs on the 160 Route. Don't even think I've done a Cat 1 before so should be fun! Toughest climb ive done is Mount Leinster or Ladies Brae in Sligo. Anyway really looking forward to it. Hear this is second only to the Ring of Kerry in terms of numbers and an event. Any other first timers doing it? Any tips from the more experienced lads. Anybody hanging around for a bit of crack after, any recommendations on places to hit. Not to familiar with Dungarvin. Anyway I'll be there with the Swords Gear and White Cube bike so say hi as I go wizzing past you ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭thekooman

detones wrote: »
    Hey anybody want to talk about the actual upcoming event.

It's my first time to do it. Have done a few 100k plus events this year, the ROK, the Tour of Meath 160, Swords CC 145k and several 100k spins and sportives but am a bit daunted about the prospect of the SKT. I'm not much of a climber but have improved a lot, my limited talents lie in descending, maintaining high (to me) speed on the flats and short sprints.

So been reading on the SKT website and they say there's 4 Cat 1 climbs on the 160 Route. Don't even think I've done a Cat 1 before so should be fun! Toughest climb ive done is Mount Leinster or Ladies Brae in Sligo. Anyway really looking forward to it. Hear this is second only to the Ring of Kerry in terms of numbers and an event. Any other first timers doing it? Any tips from the more experienced lads. Anybody hanging around for a bit of crack after, any recommendations on places to hit. Not to familiar with Dungarvin. Anyway I'll be there with the Swords Gear and White Cube bike so say hi as I go wizzing past you ;-)

they ain't Cat 1 in terms of what you would see on the continent i would imagine. Looking at strava (http://www.strava.com/activities/9004475) they are Cat 3's and Cat 4's. I'm looking forward to it and am getting the last of the training in now with more and more hills.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭ashleey

This one is category 2, and we went up it on Sunday because I'm getting nervous of this sportive too. Best advice is to go up at your own pace and it will be slow, but that's normal.

http://app.strava.com/segments/653180

And also curtail your descending as some of those roads around there are a bit worn!

ashleey wrote: »
    This one is category 2, and we went up it on Sunday because I'm getting nervous of this sportive too. Best advice is to go up at your own pace and it will be slow, but that's normal.

http://app.strava.com/segments/653180

And also curtail your descending as some of those roads around there are a bit worn!

Ok 4k @ 7.5%, that looks a pig. Hope that's the worst of them.

Hope there's some speed to be had descending as that's my favourite bit!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭Seweryn

Hope there's some speed to be had descending as that's my favourite bit!
    You won't get much fun on the descents, as the roads on the fast ones are absolutely sheyt and you will be on your breaks all the time going down ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 6,430 ✭✭✭touts

So any logistics tips for the day itself? With 5000 people descending on Dungarvan I'm assuming parking will be an issue. Where is a good place to park (i.e. somewhere that will allow us a brief warmup when we are fresh on the morning but won't seem like a crippling extra few KM when we are exhausted that afternoon)? Are the queues on sign in likely to be long? I think I read/heard somewhere that you can sign in on Saturday and get your jersey etc. Is that possible? Where is the actual start point in Dungarvan?

Seweryn wrote: »
    You won't get much fun on the descents, as the roads on the fast ones are absolutely sheyt and you will be on your breaks all the time going down ;).

Ah b0ll@x I hope this is not true. Need some reward for all that climbing!!

Ah b0ll@x I hope this is not true. Need some reward for all that climbing!!
    You will get a chance to get your speed up don't worry but coming down from Powers the Pot is definitely 'technical' as they would say on Eurosport.

The hardest part of that Tickencor climb is the first km but once you settle it's ok. My temptation was always to tear up because your speed evaporates on any steep climb which feels all wrong when in a group. On the contrary, try to keep your cadence similar not your speed!

touts wrote: »
    So any logistics tips for the day itself? With 5000 people descending on Dungarvan I'm assuming parking will be an issue. Where is a good place to park (i.e. somewhere that will allow us a brief warmup when we are fresh on the morning but won't seem like a crippling extra few KM when we are exhausted that afternoon)? Are the queues on sign in likely to be long? I think I read/heard somewhere that you can sign in on Saturday and get your jersey etc. Is that possible? Where is the actual start point in Dungarvan?

Parking at these An Post events is usually really well organised so should not be a problem, as for warm up dont think you need one for this. Remember its not a race ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,116 ✭✭✭bazermc

Last year there was long lines on the saturday approx 1.5-2 hours to collect goodie bag number jersery etc. I would imagine it should be improved this year.

I was also chatting to a few mates who signed on the morning of the event and colleted their stuff straight away, no long lines. the only problem is than is what to do with the jersey if you dont want to wear it for the cycle. I personally like to give it a wash before first wear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

thekooman wrote: »
    they ain't Cat 1 in terms of what you would see on the continent i would imagine. Looking at strava (http://www.strava.com/activities/9004475) they are Cat 3's and Cat 4's. I'm looking forward to it and am getting the last of the training in now with more and more hills.

Why we can't use the same standards for climb categorisation I don't know. AFAIK, the only official cat 1 in the country is Mount Leinster (to the very top).

http://thecycleway.com/?p=32

There isn't any worldwide standard for climb categorisation but this article spells out the reasoning. Strava have their own criteria which seems good enough.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20420292-How-are-Strava-climbs-categorized-For-Rides-

Obviously Tickencor after 10k is completely different to Tickencor after 90k which gives the SKT fair reason to give it their own 'Cat 1' designation.

http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/routes/SKT%20160k%20Map%202013.jpg

I'm just dreading it full stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,457 ✭✭✭ford2600

http://thecycleway.com/?p=32

There isn't any worldwide standard for climb categorisation but this article spells out the reasoning. Strava have their own criteria which seems good enough.

https://strava.zendesk.com/entries/20420292-How-are-Strava-climbs-categorized-For-Rides-

Obviously Tickencor after 10k is completely different to Tickencor after 90k which gives the SKT fair reason to give it their own 'Cat 1' designation.

http://www.theseankellytour.com/media/itsafeeling/media/topattractions/getoutthere/skthomepage/routes/SKT%20160k%20Map%202013.jpg

I'm just dreading it full stop.

You linked wrong strava segment. It only goes to crossroads

Luckily not to the mast then, past Powers the Pot campsite?

I must admit I was probably hallucinating at that stage and will be next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭MajesticDonkey

Strava's criteria is spot on IMO. A climb shouldn't change category just because you're more miles in the legs - it only makes it seem a lot worse. It's bad enough saying, for example, there are two cat 2 climbs (e.g. 5km at 7%) in a route, only to change the second one to a cat 1 because you've done 80km before it! Nonsense!

I agree but supposedly it's a bit arbitrary for the TdF. Strava seems pretty sensible to my untrained legs

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭borntobike

Done the 160Km last year. Mahon's Fall is the one you need to worry about. It is 5km approx but very steep particularly near the top.
    Overall this is a tough but enjoyable sportif. You cannot expect Kelly to have his name associated with an easy cycle ??

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Francesca1234

If any of you have a change of heart, I would gladly buy your entry from you - ideally the 160k , thanks,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭jimmyging

Looking for a 160 entry if anyone dropping out ,cheers

Advertisement