Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Miss Universe has a little secret...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,423 ✭✭✭Morag

oh , tbh I really dont have anything against people who are transgender , gay , lesbian , or whatever , in fact I think its good to be who you are , I just think miss Universe should be for real women , I mean there has to be a line drawn somewhere or whats next ??? the world is crazy enough as it is.

So your saying it should be for women born women, why?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 420 ✭✭Paulie Gualtieri

Sharrow wrote: »
    So your saying it should be for women born women, why?

???

• Registered Users Posts: 6,441 ✭✭✭Badly Drunk Boy

So...does this mean that a person born a woman and had the operation to become a man is now no longer welcome to enter the Miss Universe competition?

(Not that they'd want to, I assume.)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,016 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Manco wrote: »
    The transphobic scum doing themselves proud again on AH, I see...

The freak show has marched through AH again on yet another "pride parade" as soon as any transexual story is posted in mainstream news.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

Fair play to the lads

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,810 ✭✭✭phill106

If men who underwent transgender operations to become women retained superior strength and size (obviously not all men are bigger and stronger than women, but it's generally true) then that would be unfair.
    If they lost these advantages, then it would probably be fine.
    If that is the case then, if a man had surgery to become a woman, including for instance a boob job, would (s)he then be disqualified from a beauty contest?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Confab wrote: »
    Indeed. Men with grafted-on tits are not women. Still weirdly attractive though.

Half the "real" women probably have "grafted-on" tits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,922 ✭✭✭hooradiation

Nope, I'm just speaking out on the side of common sense here.

What explicitly about the Miss Universe contest demands that the entrants be "natural born women" - is there some advantage that would be conferred to transgender contestants? Or a section in this prestigious event that would be impossible to perform for a transgendered person?
    What aspect of a beauty contest would be undone that having a transgendered person enter?

Please let us know what the answer is. I mean unless you're just trying to dress up your ill thought through ideas with the pretence of "common sense" that is.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,635 ✭✭✭xsiborg

she's not the first one to be disqualified-

http://pageantuniverse.blogspot.com/2008/12/pageant-trivia-dethroned-disqualified.html

she IS the first one to hire a well known celebrity lawyer to promote herself fight her case after being disqualified, and i'd say the thoughts of the money involved changed donald trump's mind more than anything else!

also it's pretty much an irrelevant fapfest nowadays so they had to find some way to get it more publicity and have it remain somewhat relevant.

now i wonder when they'll stop the age discrimination and discriminating against women who have children... :rolleyes:

I want to have an operation to become a Ford Fiesta and enter into a car show. oh wait.... I was born a man , ah crap :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I want to have an operation to become a Ford Fiesta and enter into a car show. oh wait.... I was born a man , ah crap :(

yeah thats the same thing.

You do understand that analogies usually have to have at least some relation to the situation you're attempting to comment on, right?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,083 ✭✭✭✭How Soon Is Now

The freak show has marched through AH again on yet another "pride parade" as soon as any transexual story is posted in mainstream news.

I have been waiting for someone else to say all the things you have been saying in this thread so thank you.

I see people saying ahh sure let them do what they like what harm are they doing......

I could just respond to that by saying well im doing no harm in having my own opinion.

Unfortunately thats not how it works in these situations though is it ;).

We live in a world where we say and do and feel what ever we chose to at the end of the day.

Everyone has there own opinions deal with it.

You do understand that analogies usually have to have at least some relation to the situation you're attempting to comment on, right?

I know I wasnt completely serious , I just think you have to play the hand your dealt in life , and if that means not entering a pagent, well , life is tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,788 ✭✭✭✭krudler

I have been waiting for someone else to say all the things you have been saying in this thread so thank you.

I see people saying ahh sure let them do what they like what harm are they doing......

I could just respond to that by saying well im doing no harm in having my own opinion.

Unfortunately thats not how it works in these situations though is it ;).

We live in a world where we say and do and feel what ever we chose to at the end of the day.

"its my opinion" is the go to response for ignorant bigots who cant fathom there are people who dont share their close minded views.

Most people think theirs through, though.
    I know I wasnt completely serious , I just think you have to play the hand your dealt in life , and if that means not entering a pagent, well , life is tough.

Well, it's rather easy to say "play the hand you're dealt" when the deck is stacked in your favour, isn't it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,273 ✭✭✭Morlar

krudler wrote: »
    "its my opinion" is the go to response for ignorant bigots who cant fathom there are people who dont share their close minded views.

Not being able to fathom that others do not share your views is not exclusive to people who are on just the one side of this discussion. You do know that right ?

Most people think theirs through, though.

Well, it's rather easy to say "play the hand you're dealt" when the deck is stacked in your favour, isn't it.

maybe so , suppose its hard to put yourself in that situation , so its difficult to grasp , but would not taking part in a pagent be the end of the universe?

Morlar wrote: »
    Not being able to fathom that others do not share your views is not exclusive to people who are on just the one side of this discussion. You do know that right ?

Ah, but one side has the rule of law to fall back on.

If you don't accept that, can we use electroshock treatment on you?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,831 ✭✭✭genericguy

if your birth cert says you're a man, then you're a man, and entering a pageant, whinging or parading around town in the most flamboyant of clothing is not going to change that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭gypsy_rose

Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't realise the great importance and influence the Miss Universe contest has, God forbid someone change the rules and the winner looks pretty and does good works/representation/whatever the hell they do.

Is there a shortage of female born women on the internet to jack off to or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Eramen

Manco wrote: »
    The transphobic scum doing themselves proud again on AH, I see...

'Transphobic', what a nice word.. You don't like a persons opinion so now you're trying to intimidate and de-legitimise because you don't want to engage in reasoned debate with them.

If you have to resort to name-calling and a cultural-marxist ideological framework you really have nothing to back up an opinion with.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    Ah, but one side has the rule of law to fall back on.

If you don't accept that, can we use electroshock treatment on you?

to be fair, the electro option is far less expensive than the other option some of these gay men who want to be women are constantly trying to get the government to pay for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

genericguy wrote: »
    if your birth cert says you're a man, then you're a man, and entering a pageant, whinging or parading around town in the most flamboyant of clothing is not going to change that.

They can get birth certs changed

They get their birth certs changed to reflect their current gender.

Didn't you know?

that ultimately doesn't change the fact that they were born men, though, does it?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

phill106 wrote: »
    If that is the case then, if a man had surgery to become a woman, including for instance a boob job, would (s)he then be disqualified from a beauty contest?

If they were judged to have to have cosmetic surgery designed to make them more conventionally attractive, rather than just hormone treatments and basic surgery, then yes, I think they should be disqualified if the competition bans the other contestants from having cosmetic surgery.

Pherekydes wrote: »
    They get their birth certs changed to reflect their current gender.

Didn't you know?

Yep, I did, however I can scribble on mine that I'm Ballabriggs but that doesn't mean I have a right to run in the fking grand national now, does it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,920 ✭✭✭✭Gummy Panda

that ultimately doesn't change the fact that they were born men, though, does it?

That's not what you said. So if their birth says they're a woman, then they're a woman

• Advertisement

maybe so , suppose its hard to put yourself in that situation , so its difficult to grasp , but would not taking part in a pagent be the end of the universe?

I'll turn that question on it's head - what reason can you give as to why a transgendered person should not be be allowed to enter Miss Universe? Would they be gifted an unfair advantage? Or would there be aspects of the pageant they'd be incapable of performing?

If we accept it's a beauty contest and as such is simply about outward appearances then what's the issue?

Advertisement