Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waiting time for carer's allowance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 111 ✭✭Linda dub

Hi folks just an update ive been refused carers allowance for both my parents as they " do no require the constant care and attention require by a caree" 36 weeks later! To say im devastated is an understatement....Dont know if i hve energy to appeal it with looking after them and a sick husband never mind financial difficulties !!! Best of luck to anyone waiting decision i sincerly hope its better news than mine ....

• Registered Users Posts: 1 sarahdub

well hi all just joined boards because i read through this thread .i have been cut off my half rate carers allowance because my 16 y old son doesn't need extra care so they say this is despite him having severe epilepsy,moderate autism,and moderate to severe learning difficulties.this young man has to be minded constantly,everything the family does is centred around our son.because he turned 16 i lost my domicillary allowance and he was awarded disability allowance in his own right.i feel they have cut my payment of carers allowance because they feel "hes getting a payment why should she get one as well" i am devastated this is really a kick in the teeth.
    i will appeal but know it will take some time but i,m determined to get what i,m entitled to linda dub i would urge you to appeal because i know its not only the money its the principle of being recognized as the carer you are.

• Registered Users Posts: 79 ✭✭aileach

Linda dub wrote: »
    Hi folks just an update ive been refused carers allowance for both my parents as they " do no require the constant care and attention require by a caree" 36 weeks later! To say im devastated is an understatement....Dont know if i hve energy to appeal it with looking after them and a sick husband never mind financial difficulties !!! Best of luck to anyone waiting decision i sincerly hope its better news than mine ....

Hi Linda - I am so sorry to hear that you have been refused, I do hope that you will find the energy to appeal this dreadful decision.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

Linda dub wrote: »
    Hi Linda

Just to let you know I was told something similar to that .

I appealed and I won. Don't let that put you off
    Best of luck

James

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Linda, put it aside for a few days and then sit down and look at appealing it.You have come this far Dont give up now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭So Annoyed

Definitely appeal Linda. If people didn't appeal, a lot less people would be getting carers allowance.

I know with the domicillary care allowance (for children with special needs)
    52 % of people who appealed a refusal, won the appeal.

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

Hi Linda Dub

Do not let this go. You have every right to this allowance. Gather as much information, from whoever you can and send it straight back. I mean letters from the chemist where you collect prescriptions and get them to maybe write out how much medication and the times you have to administer it, get another letter from the doctor and even the local priest. Also you can look for a revised decision before you send to appeals board.

I know exactly how devastating this news is. Don't give up at this stage. Also there is a solicitors in Dublin that specalise in Social Welfare Law and offer advise on appeals and reviews. Put Social Welfare Law into google search and their name should come up. It might be worth ringing the Carer's Association because they will support you in this.

I know its frustrating but what else can you do because I'm sure you are going to have to continue looking after your parents.

I wish you the very best of luck with this :(

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭skate22

So Annoyed wrote: »
    Definitely appeal Linda. If people didn't appeal, a lot less people would be getting carers allowance.

52 % of people who appealed a refusal, won the appeal.

Hi

I totally agree with you that a lot less people would be getting carer's allowance if they didn't appeal. Maybe thats the way they want it. Its about time that we were recognised for the work we do and the money that we save this bloody government by looking after the elderly. I am sure if we all landed out elderly relatives on the step of the local hospital because they had no one to care for them they might take notice. A drastic step but beleive me I often thought of doing it. I am so mad at the system today. 36 weeks of waiting for a refusal is an absolute disgrace. They should be ashamed of themselves for letting this country go down this road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,577 ✭✭✭endofrainbow

52 % of people who appealed a refusal, won the appeal.[/QUOTE]

Would be interested to hear where these statistics are available?

I don't know what the rules are about posting links so please don't bite my head off if I'm not supposed to post it. :)

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/05/09/00026.asp

The 5th paragraph down "-- a situation arise whereby 2,420 applicants and recipients subject to review appealed the Department’s negative decision in their case during 2011 alone, 52% of which were successful in their appeal;"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 34 Rooneymara

How many were actually refused? I'd be interested to know what percentage of refusals actually appeal again?

Also these are figures for Dom Care, are there any similar figures for Carers Allowance?

I found this link, but it's from 2010. It has some statistics.

http://www.lucindacreighton.ie/2010/06/29/carers-allowance-dail-speech/

This is about half way down the page

"In 2009, 16,574 new claims were received and 5,776 rejected in the year. In 2010 to date, 8,959 new claims have been received and 3,153 rejected, representing a 35% rejection rate. In 2009 1,300 appeals were received of which 244, or 19%, were allowed and 570 cases, or almost 44%, were disallowed, 48 cases were partly allowed and 53 cases were withdrawn. If the person supplies additional information with the appeal the case is re-examined by the deciding officer. In 2009, 388 cases were revised on the basis of new information. There are currently 3,608 claims on hands for decision."

I'd love to find out what the statistics are for 2011

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

SW and the goverment do this on purpose.

Refuse allmost everybody and make them wait so long for an appeal hearing that they will just give up,or wont bother appealing.

Another way to save money and screw over the people by Minister Burton and Enda Kenny.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Katy12

Linda - sorry to read that you have been refused. After reading your posts I think you should appeal and hang in. Just deal with one day at a time and hopefully you will succeed eventually.

If you have been turned down in your situation I don't hold out much hope for my application, but we'll see.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭jamescc

paddy147 wrote: »
    SW and the goverment do this on purpose.

Refuse allmost everybody and make them wait so long for an appeal hearing that they will just give up,or wont bother appealing.

Another way to save money and screw over the people by Minister Burton and Enda Kenny.
    How many on here voted them in .

I know I didn't

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi I sent further information for a review after being refused Carers Allowance, I was just wondering has anyone any idea how long a review takes? Also I learnt in early April that I had been refused over the phone, but only received a letter today comfirming it.Oh I orginally applied in July last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 mrsliamo

Hi folks - sorry for jumping on your thread but you all seem very knowledgeable on the subject ;)!! Travel pass arrived in the post last Thursday - nothing else with it, no letter or anything. I take it that this is a good sign?? Can anyone tell me what to expect next in terms of timeframes etc?:confused:? Sorry again - would appreciate any feedback.

Hi folks ive thought long n
    Hard about what im going to do and have decided to first send in GPs letters and some more info on my parents illnesses and have a review done on my applicatiin, i dont know how long this will take no doubt some more months! My problem by appealing it may mean my mother may have to go for a medical and she will refuse due to her mental illness and fact she firmly belives she doesnt have one!!! Her GP himself hasnt known how unstable she was for past ten years as she can appear perfectly normal. It was only her addmittance to hosp last year that it became apparent the type of illness while her GP was treating her for depression! Hard to describe but she has a deep fear of all things medical and i would not put her through that. All i can do is look
    For a reveiw and if that fails just leave it there.

Msliamo, if you got the pass, you have been granted the carers. the department that deals with that is must faster than the carers. I'd say you'll get a letter in a week or so.

Linda, that's a hard one go for the review. If that fails, go for the appeal and see how it goes. I don't think there's a medical for the appeal, it's only if you're refused the appeal you go for an oral hearing, that's when the medical might be necessary.

• Advertisement

Thanks So Annoyed (great name btw). It's typical that even though I know that I'm lucky to be at this stage, the dept still can't get the process right. The pass arrived with no explanation - just the pass and that was it. Was almost afraid to ring to see what the story was - in any case after many many calls during the application process, don't think I can face phoning them anymore!! Hope I'm not too long waiting to hear further.......

Linda - don't give up. Gather as much of the medical stuff as you can. Ask doctors and consultants for more detailed reports on your Mam. It may be worth going to see them yourself and almost telling them what you want in the report. Another good tip is to do up a log of what's involved on a weekly basis, day by day, hour by hour. Bring this to the doctors and also send it in with the medical stuff, keeping a copy of course of EVERYTHING as there can be a very big black hole in Longford where LOTS of paperwork seems to fall into. You will get there - I have no doubt. Great support here i have to say, just sorry I didn't discover you all earlier in my process!! Best of luck and let's know how you're getting on. But please don't give up.

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Jasssss

Mrsliamo where you long waiting before you got this pass.I definitley think you have been awarded carer's too.

Hi jasss. Applied last August. Hope everyone on here gets sorted soon. It's a nightmare. No way should anything take that long.

I found this other link about waiting times

http://debates.oireachtas.ie/dail/2012/02/28/00261.asp

Year Average time to award Number awarded Number refused
    2009 9 weeks 10,730 5,776
    2010 8 weeks 8,769 6,972
    2011. (to end Sept)17 weeks 5,685 3,921

Hi so annoyed
    So for applications for 2011 it took 17 weeks? i dont think so! Anyone on these boards who applied Like myself have been waiting at least 36 weeks or more !!! I think
    Somebody got their statistics wrong..... Wonder do those figures include the number of applicants whos forms go missing from the department through no Fault of their own .... The amount Of refusals is a joke .... Doesnt mention either fact that refusals have to practically beg to have their applications appealed....it makes my blood boil !!!!!!

Yep, I thought it was a joke aswell. I applied in may, they didn't even look at my application until feb!

Hi so annoyed
    Just looking back on boards and wondered did you go for the appeal or for a review first when you were turned down? Have you heard anything back at all and what sort of extra information did you have to get ? I dunno were to start and just wondering how you went about it?

Linda when I was refused I immediately sent in a letter to appeal, then I realised I should send it for review, so I sent in another one for a review. The review refusal came back less than two weeks later. And I got a letter to say that the appeal would take a considerable amount of time. I haven't sent in any more documents yet, as DH gets worse week by week, and it's going to take a long time anyway. It's so frustrating (as you know)

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭jabarrett35

Hi So annoyed how long ago did this happen? Because I sent in a review at the begining of May and I've heard nothing.

• Advertisement

Thanks for that info ive letter typed up i wrote one by hand in a temper five pages long but had to edit it or i wouldve been arrested had i sent it :))) but want try get letters of their doctors to send in with it .... Im not hold out mch hope tho as like yourself im worn out looking after everyone n just feel like giving up but i wont cos i cant afford too....

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement