Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Bottle Feeding in the Hospital

• 02-01-2009 12:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭

I'm due in March and have decided to bottle feed. I'm going to Holles Street. I've heard from a few people now that some nurses give women who decide to bottle feed over breast feeding a hard time. Has anyone any experience of this? I really could do without getting grief from a nurse just after giving birth about my choices whihc are ultimately not really their business :rolleyes:

Another thing I was wondering is how does bottle feeding in hosptial actually work? Do the nurses prepare the bottles for you or do you have access to somewhere to do this? I'm also concerned that while waiting for a bottle to be ready baby might be causing a racket in the ward waking all the other women and babies, whereas a mother who is breast feeding can stop that much easier by popping the baby on their breast.

Any thoughts on the above would be appreciated.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

The hospital will supply small glass bottles of formula with disposable teats. They'll give you enough to last you the day in the morning. Afaik, it's possible to buy a tray of the glass bottles and teats off the hospital and bring them home, just to take the pressure off. Found the nurses grand - at the end of the day, happy mammies mean happy babies, no matter what :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

my wife was adament about not breast feeding first time round and second and third but when the nurses in the Coombe asked her about it she said no thanks and they left it at that. Same in Ballinasloe too they do promote it just listen to their speil and forget about it after.

The hospital will have 100mls glass bottles and teats of SMA Gold and (we use) and Aptimel Purple and Green, decide before you go in which bottle feed you are giong to use, you probably change later but select one and stick to it.

congrats and good luck and it's not as bad as it looks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

Don't know about the first part as I breastfed, but as PP said, they will provide little bottles of ready made formula that you can feed at room temperature.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

In the Rotunda they didn't force breastfeeding on you at all... my baby was actually doing really badly on the formula (spitting ALL and I mean ALL of it back up after every feed) and I was asking them about breast feeding and they actually told me to persevere with the bottle feeding... I tried BFing anyway... but she wouldn't latch on :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Thanks. I feel a bit better hearing people's experiences. That said, I'm just back from my first ante-natal calss and it was basically a 40 minute infomercial on breast feeding. I do understand that it is the hospital's policy to push it but I don't see why they can't balance it somewhat by even discussing bottle feeding briefly. I was pretty angry after leaving the class and intend to raise the issue down the line if they don't discuss bottle feeding in some way over the course of the classes.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

I hope this isn't too personal a question (and feel free to ignore it if it is :o) but what is the reasoning behind choosing a bottle over breastfeeding with a newborn?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Vel wrote: »
    Thanks. I feel a bit better hearing people's experiences. That said, I'm just back from my first ante-natal calss and it was basically a 40 minute infomercial on breast feeding. I do understand that it is the hospital's policy to push it but I don't see why they can't balance it somewhat by even discussing bottle feeding briefly. I was pretty angry after leaving the class and intend to raise the issue down the line if they don't discuss bottle feeding in some way over the course of the classes.

No offence, but maybe you're just a bit sensitive on the issue? I'd expect them to concentrate on breast feeding - there's no real learning curve there with regards to bottle feeding, whereas breastfeeding seems to be more difficult to get the hang of etc. Like, they don't teach you how to change nappies or dress the baby, they just assume you can do it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,318 ✭✭✭Vel

Quackles wrote: »
    Like, they don't teach you how to change nappies or dress the baby, they just assume you can do it?

They don't???:eek::eek::D That's me and the babs buggered then!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭barbiegirl

My friend just had her first, and what she did for practice was to help another friend babysit 9 month old twins. She got to change nappies etc. but didn't feel like she might break them with them being so small. She had no experience before babs, comes from a small family, and she is doing great. Take a relaxed attitude to things and you'll be fine. Best of luck. Hopefully I'll be joining in the pregnancy bit soon :-)

g'em wrote: »
    I hope this isn't too personal a question (and feel free to ignore it if it is :o) but what is the reasoning behind choosing a bottle over breastfeeding with a newborn?

Hey g'em,

Tried it but found it very hard, couldn't get her to latch on, and there was very little support available in the hospital. When a nurse did attempt to "help", she was very brusque and manhandled me. My breasts were sore and the baby gave me sores from not latching on... She was starving, I was stressed, crying... A midwife came in and I asked if I could give rhiannon a bottle... She said yes and truthfully I never attempted to breastfeed again. My own personal circumstances also meant it was easier in the long term to bottlefeed.

I'd try breastfeeding again some day but I've no regrets - I was happy and Rhiannon was happy and that's all that matters at the end of the day.

• Advertisement

Mine is a bit the same as embee's

I had an emergency c section and had to be put under general anesthetic... so as a result when baby was born, daddy gave her a bottle because he didn't know how long I would be out for!! Addison wasn't taking to the bottle and kept puking ALL her feeds back up.

So, I decided to switch to the breast... only she wouldn't latch on... and three days of no latching on and feeling like a cow expressing... I decided to switch back to the bottle...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I'm planning on breast feeding and am more scared of that than the elective section. Am treating it like a military campaign though and will be expressing ( bought a fancy medela electric pump) and supplementing with bottles as soon as possible. ( yeah yeah nipple confusion). Am going to demand help in the hospital at every turn and hope for the best. Seems a huge burden and pain after giving birth but nature is cruel to women. Am I right or am I right?

If it doesn't work it won't be for lack of trying so I won't be beating myself up. Though the other Mothers in the ward might be if I can't get the baby to stop screaming for food!

My sister fed for 9 months and she had mastitis and absesses but persevered and we're very competitive ;) Also there's a lot of allergy in the family so breast really is best for us. Why can't you hire wet nurses anymore? :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Am also planning to breast feed, I never thought about it until I became pregnant and they asked me did I want to breastfeed and my gut instinct was to say yes, hope that I will stick with it. We also have allergies in our family so it would probably be better for our baby.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,799 ✭✭✭gerrycollins

Quackles wrote: »
    Like, they don't teach you how to change nappies or dress the baby, they just assume you can do it?

they showed us and even for our second they showed us again

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

Had the same as embee and adrienne. Imo the breast feeding fascists at the hospital stress you out so much they make it worse. They should relax you with a few beers and let you and baby find your way. The hospital setting and these administrators are so inhibiting no wonder the baby cant latch when hes picking up on your anxiety and your body wont let the flow happen.

adrienne - i had an emergency section also - and my theory is that my body didnt get the natural reease of hormones which would eventually trigger the let down. In a way I think my body thought I was still pregnant - if you get me. The whole thing had me in tears of frustration.

they showed us and even for our second they showed us again

Maybe it depends on the hospital.. I don't remember being shown that.. I was showed how to bath him, though! So he was clean, albeit naked and nappyless...

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭shaca

Hi All

I spent 6 weeks in hospital before the birth of my son so talked alot to the midwives about breastfeeding v bottle feeding. The majority of midwives are totally fine with whatever decision you make but you will get the odd one that may try to pressure you a bit. Stand firm. Breast feeding will not work for you if you are not 100% happy doing it.

One of the midwives even told me that most of the midwives would tell you that they have topped up their own kids with formula if they are not settling for them to ensure they are getting enough nutrition.

Don't worry about your baby disturbing others. That is all part and parcel in a maternity ward. (Thank God for ear plugs, they got me through the 6 weeks) Congrats and good luck in March.

shaca wrote: »
    Don't worry about your baby disturbing others. That is all part and parcel in a maternity ward. (Thank God for ear plugs, they got me through the 6 weeks) Congrats and good luck in March.

Thanks for sharing - that's one of the main reasons i gave up breastfeeding last time, I felt awful that my fellow was keeping the whole ward awake :(

6 weeks, you poor thing :( I was admitted 3 days early and it was enough!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 119 ✭✭Lillyella

With breastfeeding, the key to success is perseverence.

I know the nurses can seem a bit militant, but when it works out for you, you are genuinely grateful for the help.

I'm due in a few weeks, and I'm just dreading the BF. I remember how sore it was, i'm really hoping its not as bad again. Now in fairness, it does get easier, but in the beginning, it was v. v. sore.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

Lillyella wrote: »
    I'm due in a few weeks, and I'm just dreading the BF. I remember how sore it was, i'm really hoping its not as bad again. Now in fairness, it does get easier, but in the beginning, it was v. v. sore.

Do you think it was becasue you didn't know what you were doing and didn't get proper advice? Perhaps it will be easier this time as you know what you're doing. I'm ascared:eek: of v.v. sore!!!!

• Advertisement

Grawns wrote: »
    I'm ascared:eek: of v.v. sore!!!!

You and me both, sister!!

I only lasted a day with the last kiddo - I wasnt prepared for the stomach cramping that went with feeding, or the whole "how to stop a newborn crying" thing. I think I'm less green this time, so I can give it a fair shot. That, and I'm really determined, as opposed to thinking I'll give it a try and see what happens.

Still petrified, though.. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

I have no idea whether i'm going to breast feed or bottle feed. Breast feeding scares the absolute crap out of me for some reason but then I feel bad at the thought of not wanting to breast feed. I suppose I'll wait until closer to the time to see what happens but at the moment I think I'd definitely be leaning towards bottle feeding even though it makes me feel like a selfish cow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

bear in mind that the baby mightn't like the room temperature formula - our fella hated it unless it was warmed.

it does take a small bit of patience to get used to the breast feeding (for both baby and mum), but after a couple of weeks you'll be delighted you did.

we found the nurses in holles street great, no pressure, extremely supportive, always ready to show you (again and again, if needs be) :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,124 ✭✭✭wolfpawnat

Can i ask a question, I plan on breastfeeding in the Rotunda and will try my best, but if the baby doesnt latch or other problems occur, are the Rotunda good with suppying a bit of formula until I could get someone to bring me in some or am I best bringing a little in myself just in case. I really want to breastfeed but not everything ever goes to plan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,778 ✭✭✭tallaght01

. Imo the breast feeding fascists at the hospital stress you out so much they make it worse. They should relax you with a few beers and let you and baby find your way. .

LOL i love this idea :P

"breastfeeding fascists" :D We used to call them the breastfeeding gestapo. Hassling poor mums who are on the brink of exhaustion. I've had many a run in with them. The normal ward-based midwives are usuall pretty cool, but anyone with "breast-feeding" or "lactation" in their title is to be watched like a hawk :P

shaca wrote: »
    . The majority of midwives are totally fine with whatever decision you make but you will get the odd one that may try to pressure you a bit. Stand firm. Breast feeding will not work for you if you are not 100% happy doing it.

One of the midwives even told me that most of the midwives would tell you that they have topped up their own kids with formula if they are not settling for them to ensure they are getting enough nutrition.

+1
    Lillyella wrote: »
    With breastfeeding, the key to success is perseverence.

I don't think that's always the case. It doesn't work for some people. I once saw a lady breast feed through crazy sore nipples that became so bad she developed septicaemia and ended up in intensive care (obviously this is very rare).

Most babies in developed countries do fine either way. There are significant advantages to breast feeding. But don't forget about the significant bonding advantages when mum and baby start out relaxed with each other :D

gar_29 wrote: »
    bear in mind that the baby mightn't like the room temperature formula - our fella hated it unless it was warmed.

A baby will only balk at room temperature formula if they've been given warmed formula from the get go. My daughter had room temp formula from the start and didn't react to it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

tallaght01 wrote: »

Most babies in developed countries do fine either way. There are significant advantages to breast feeding. But don't forget about the significant bonding advantages when mum and baby start out relaxed with each other :D

+1

I was fine with the whole pumping and tube feeding my preemie when she was still in hospital but when it came to actual feeding it was a nightmare and I was a mess. I expected a lecture from my phn when I stopped but she just smiled and said "what's best for mum is best for baby" which was the perfect thing to say to a guilt ridden mommy.

With my 2nd I took a day by day approach rather than thinking long term. Every morning I would say "today I will keep breastfeeding and if by tonight I decide I can't do it anymore he'll have had the benefit of one more day". I ended up feeding him for 8 months.

wolfpawnat wrote: »
    Can i ask a question, I plan on breastfeeding in the Rotunda and will try my best, but if the baby doesnt latch or other problems occur, are the Rotunda good with suppying a bit of formula until I could get someone to bring me in some or am I best bringing a little in myself just in case. I really want to breastfeed but not everything ever goes to plan

You don't need to bring formula, the Rotunda provide you with bottles and disposable teets untill you leave. They left some on my bedside locker just in case I needed them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

tallaght01 wrote: »
    LOL i love this idea :P

"breastfeeding fascists" :D We used to call them the breastfeeding gestapo. Hassling poor mums who are on the brink of exhaustion. I've had many a run in with them. The normal ward-based midwives are usuall pretty cool, but anyone with "breast-feeding" or "lactation" in their title is to be watched like a hawk :P

In my hospital it was "lactation consultant." :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 174 ✭✭gar_29

embee wrote: »
    A baby will only balk at room temperature formula if they've been given warmed formula from the get go. My daughter had room temp formula from the start and didn't react to it at all.

not our guy.......hated room temperature right from the start! he must have a delicate palate! :D

Advertisement