Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

1st Hospital Appointment

• 01-01-2009 7:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 29

I have my first hospital visit next Friday at OLOL Drogheda. It's my first pregnancy :) (I'm 17 weeks) so I have no idea what to expect: will they do an examination and/or scan? should I bring my OH? Will there be a lot of hanging around waiting to be seen?

Oh and I'm going public in case that affects any of the answers

thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭spupazza

Hi,
    I'm going tomorrow to my first appointment of my first pregnancy at the Rotunda. I'm 19 weeks exactly today.
    reading at the Rotunda's web site, it is written that they'll do a ultrasound scan, blood and urine test and medical analysis for you.
    i'm going public too. They say that i should wait max 2 hours between the visit and the waiting time. I hope so, because I'm going to be there at 8.00 a.m., and because I live in Swords, I'm going to get up at 6.00 a.m. and get the bus at 06.50 a.m. So I don't want hang there for long time.
    I'll let you know tomorrow how will be my visit.
    bye!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

spupazza,

In the Rotunda they'll do the urine and blood pressure first, then they will take you into a room for your medical history, send you off for your ultrasound (they say you should have a full bladder for this) and then take blood tests. ##

Hi adrieanne__x, thanks for the answer.
    How long do you think lasts the visit? And how long do you think I'll wait to do it?

Well I was there for... an hour and a half I think... but I was one of the first people to arrive at the hospital... I got there around 11.30 and my appointment was at 12.00...

Hi adrieanne__x, thanks again.
    Just another question: you wrote that first I'll do a blood and urine pressure. How works the urine pressure? Should I pee? In that case, I won't have then a full bladder for the scan.
    Could you explain me please?:o

P.S. How is going your new life with your little girl?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 364 ✭✭templetonpeck

for my first appt they gave me the urine jar to fill whilst waiting, and by the time the scan came around my bladder was almost full again ;) They went through my medical history, did the scan, I didn't have an ultrasound, just the regular scan and then they sent me for blood tests.

I'm going for my second apt on the 5th Jan, which is when they'll do the ultrasound. Do you mind OP if I interrupt by asking what happens at the second app and if I should expect any internal examinations yet? :o:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

for my first appt they gave me the urine jar to fill whilst waiting, and by the time the scan came around my bladder was almost full again ;) They went through my medical history, did the scan, I didn't have an ultrasound, just the regular scan and then they sent me for blood tests.

I'm going for my second apt on the 5th Jan, which is when they'll do the ultrasound. Do you mind OP if I interrupt by asking what happens at the second app and if I should expect any internal examinations yet? :o:D

Doctors differ, but I doubt you'll have an internal exam - they're not given early in case of kick starting something, unless there's a need for it. I haven't had one yet, and I'm nearly 38 weeks.. I was 41 weeks last time before I had one, and yes, I started having contractions the next day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

thanks for all the replies, everyone. Now I know what to expect.

....But what's the difference between an ultrasound and a regular scan?

Oh and interrupt away Templetonpeck, the more we know about all these visits the better

Quackles wrote: »
    Doctors differ, but I doubt you'll have an internal exam - they're not given early in case of kick starting something, unless there's a need for it. I haven't had one yet, and I'm nearly 38 weeks.. I was 41 weeks last time before I had one, and yes, I started having contractions the next day :)

Aw that's a relief thanks for that Quackles. I'm well aware I'll have to get over this childish shyness whether I like it or not, doesn't mean I'm in any hurry though lol :D

Oh and interrupt away Templetonpeck, the more we know about all these visits the better

lol I'll be able to tell you that on Monday :D I'm not sure myself but for the the regular scan they seem to be able to just flip on this little portable scanning machine, for the ultrasound I have to book a specific appointment in a whole other part of the hospital, so I guess it's more high tech machinery, able to pick up any defects etc?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

I think that they are the same thing, it is just that the other scanner is smaller and stronger. Was supposed to be going for that scan tomorrow but they never rang back, will see on the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Technically, a scan is an ultrasound, they're one and the same. I'd imagine templetonpeck means she had a brief scan, and the next one is the anomaly scan where they take measurements and check all sorts of organs etc to make sure baby is developing correctly - normally done at around 20 weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,890 ✭✭✭embee

There are two "scans" that you'll have.

They can do a doppler scan (which is just a device which they use to check the heartbeat, it is usually equipped with a device that will playback the sound of the babysheartbeat), and the ultrasound is the one where you'll see the baby onscreen.

You get the Doppler at each appointment, an ultrasound is a scan you may only have once during the duration of your pregnancy.

Templetonpeck... are you going to the Coombe? I was going to go to the Coombe and they were going to scan me at both 12 and 20 weeks... this was public... the 12 week scan was just to check dates...

I got an internal at my 20 week check... well... the doctor speculumed me...

Thank you everyone for the reply, now it is more clear for me what I'm going to expect tomorrow.
    Anyway, tomorrow I'll let you know about the visit.
    Night!:D

Templetonpeck... are you going to the Coombe? I was going to go to the Coombe and they were going to scan me at both 12 and 20 weeks... this was public... the 12 week scan was just to check dates...

I got an internal at my 20 week check... well... the doctor speculumed me...
    No, Holles Street Adrieanne. I had the normal scan at 12 weeks and am going to the ultrasound on monday at 20 weeks. And omg I just googled speculumed :eek: pmsl I'll prepare myself for all sorts, then I won't be surprised :D

Yeah, that's what I assumed was the difference between the two scans Quackles. Fingers crossed nothing bad comes up :)

I had to get it done a couple of times throughout the pregnancy because of bleeding and stuff! It's all good!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I've been probed:eek: 3 times due to spotting ( all in rotunda emergency room) but it wouldn't be done at all normally. 1st was the worst. After that it didn't bother me.

Grawns, have you seen the Rotunda's new emergency rooms yet?? They're lovely... real private... each room has it's own sliding door on it and everything, was there when I was in labour!

So, this morning I was at the hospital at 7.20 a.m., and my appointment was at 8.00 a.m.
    Soon I called to give my details, then they gave me a folder and I went upstairs for the ultrasound scan, which is a normal scan, where you can see the baby clearly. Before the scan, the doctor told me to urinate because I was very full. So I filled the bottle and, after the scan, I went downstairs to get blood pressure, weight and height and my medical history. after that, blood test and at the end I've seen the doctor.
    On Monday I will start the physioterapy antenatal class.
    It was a very healthy girl!:D

• Advertisement

They told you the sex??! Lucky!!

I never went to my antenatal classes... I didn't need them in the end... I looked up everything online...

Hi adrieanne, I read a lot of information on line, but I'm curious to see how these classes work.

At the Rotunda They were very kind and professional.
    yes, they told me, the midwife was very polite and young.

And at 10.00 a.m. I was at the bus stop!

I wish they told me... the lady scanning me was actually very rude :( oh well!

They are very kind in the Rotunda, the staff in the ward were brilliant when I gave birth!

Grawns, have you seen the Rotunda's new emergency rooms yet?? They're lovely... real private... each room has it's own sliding door on it and everything, was there when I was in labour!

I know! Huge fabulous improvement but I missed the drama of the other ladies. Wailing and moaning etc.:) No really, I would bring a book as when they're doing the trace it's super boring.

spupazza wrote: »
    So, this morning I was at the hospital at 7.20 a.m., and my appointment was at 8.00 a.m.
    Soon I called to give my details, then they gave me a folder and I went upstairs for the ultrasound scan, which is a normal scan, where you can see the baby clearly. Before the scan, the doctor told me to urinate because I was very full. So I filled the bottle and, after the scan, I went downstairs to get blood pressure, weight and height and my medical history. after that, blood test and at the end I've seen the doctor.
    On Monday I will start the physioterapy antenatal class.

Congratulations, let the baby shopping commence :D

Grawns wrote: »
    Congratulations, let the baby shopping commence :D

Thank you Grawns. Yes, I'll start this month even because the sales start in few days!

Grawns wrote: »
    I know! Huge fabulous improvement but I missed the drama of the other ladies. Wailing and moaning etc.:) No really, I would bring a book as when they're doing the trace it's super boring.

I know! That's one tip for the mommies to be... I was hooked to the trace for two hours... so bring a book!!

• Registered Users Posts: 29 little ol me

spupazza wrote: »

Brilliant news, congrats!

Brilliant news, congrats!

Thank you very muc little ol me.:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement