Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

IMRA season 2012

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,116 ✭✭✭Peterx

WWR entries open.
    One team per club so you might have to change your name Slogger.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭donothoponpop

Peterx wrote: »
    WWR entries open.
    One team per club so you might have to change your name Slogger.

Boards team has been entered. Who's this Slogger, never heard of him, some fella from Facebook?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,441 ✭✭✭Slogger Jogger

Whatever cheque gets in first wins. Boards is only a quasi club. The fact that some of them frequent these parts is purely a coincidence. :p

Whatever cheque gets in first wins. Boards is only a quasi club. The fact that some of them frequent these parts is purely a coincidence. :p

I don't see any reason why you shouldn't organize a (non-Boards) team, made up of people you know, but it would be a bit unfair to organize it through this forum. Whatever we might think about the pro's or con's of the one-entry-per-team rule, there will be a lot of disappointed Rathfarnham, or Setanta, or Crusaders, runners, who will have to go outside their team grouping to get a run. We shouldn't be organizing two teams from Boards.

I'll be in contact with those on the teamsheet soon, for the moment, names are in, cheque is in the post as of this morning.

I'd be all for keeping 8 spots for regulars, at this stage probably the likes of ;
    boards, rathfarnham, crusaders, clonliffe, meath, sli culainn, presidents men..

Slogger jogger is perfectly right, at the moment it's the first 30 cheques in the door and once he doesn't call his team boards 2 then he's not breaking any rules.
    Tis a great race though..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

3rock, Setanta, Ajax and a mix adhoc or orienteers usually have a team. Should they not get a free spot :)

I'd be all for keeping 8 spots for regulars, at this stage probably the likes of ;
    boards, rathfarnham, crusaders, clonliffe, meath, sli culainn, presidents men..

Slogger jogger is perfectly right, at the moment it's the first 30 cheques in the door and once he doesn't call his team boards 2 then he's not breaking any rules.
    Tis a great race though..

Deffo a, automatic entry for serial competiitors would make things easier... I had to juggle my schedule this morning just to get a cheque down to the post office as early as possible.

What's to stop an all-Rath "Castle Crew 2" from entering? I'm looking at that new rule in spirit rather than letter.

What's to stop an all-Rath "Castle Crew 2" from entering? I'm looking at that new rule in spirit rather than letter.

Nothing to stop the castle crew 2 entering as the flying daffodills or whatever but this rule will hopefully prevent proctive people entering 3 teams in the one envelope and leave spaces for the likes of Sli Culainn and even Cnoc's orienteers.

Slogger (or one of my my clubmates) having the gumption to get up off his arse and organise a team is perfectly acceptable - the juniors do actually want the full complement of 30 teams.

Nothing to stop the castle crew 2 entering as the flying daffodills or whatever but this rule will hopefully prevent proctive people entering 3 teams in the one envelope and leave spaces for the likes of Sli Culainn and even Cnoc's orienteers.

Slogger (or one of my my clubmates) having the gumption to get up off his arse and organise a team is perfectly acceptable - the juniors do actually want the full complement of 30 teams.

Well, since I want to race I very much want Slogger to organize a team! Sli C, Sportsworld, Le Cheile, UCD, etc, etc; anyone who competes IMRA as a team on a regular basis should be given automatic entry. Although that would be unfair to non-Leinster clubs like Athenry.

Half the fun is wondering who is in:D My texts has been going all day from team leaders frantically wondering if they got accepted in time!

I think what they are trying to counter is multiple entries from the exact same club / person. I have entered one entry and I am not part of a club per se, simples.

• Advertisement

I do think that runners who are themselves organisers of other teams would be expelled from the competition ;)

I do think that runners who are themselves organisers of other teams would be expelled from the competition ;)

I take it all back, O wise Team Captain Sir ;)

The Race Director should have some discretion. If he is weighing up 2 entries and one is made up of familiar imra names and the other is made up of complete strangers then the choice appears obvious.

In a way this race, a bit like the Wicklow Way trail race, is a victim of its own popularity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

Entries for WWR already closed!

Mothman wrote: »
    Entries for WWR already closed!

The interest in this race is incredible, fair play to SS for taking it on. I'd say it will be very competitive this year. Rathfarnham still the team to beat. Crusaders will have moved it up a notch this year. Boards will have their fastest team yet. And I'm sure there are plenty of dark horse teams out there waiting to upset the apple cart.

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭ocnoc

I think it would want to be one hell of a dark horse to come along and spoil the party.

Then again, haven being on teams that rock up into town, tie up the horse, spit on the dog, and leave without a word - its the best way to win :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,648 ✭✭✭rovers_runner

Any tips for a Wicklow Way trail novice?
    I've covered most of Ballinastoe / Crone during the summer league and did a recce of Crone - finish already.
    Is there anything in the first few miles to watch out for, other than the view of the lake?

The weather looks promising with the wind helping from the south east.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Any tips for a Wicklow Way trail novice?

I would suggest that as tempting as hammering the fireroad descent into Crone might be, resist!

You still have a good run home left at that stage, with a couple of nice climbs to do. Make sure you save something for them and then use up anything you have left for the run from home off Prince Willie's.

Some might argue that is a little conservative, but if you want advice for a novice that is what I would suggest.

Oh and have a blast!

jeffontour wrote: »
    I would suggest that as tempting as hammering the fireroad descent into Crone might be, resist!

You still have a good run home left at that stage, with a couple of nice climbs to do. Make sure you save something for them and then use up anything you have left for the run from home off Prince Willie's.

Some might argue that is a little conservative, but if you want advice for a novice that is what I would suggest.

Oh and have a blast!

Thanks jeffontour, will be hard to resist going full pelt but when Curtlestown is still to be negotiated I would agreed with the conservative approach.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

I'm sick I'm missing this.

Check out the forecast for tomorrow:

"Tomorrow Saturday will be dry and bright with good sunny spells and light southeast breeze. Afternoon temperatures of 15 or 16 degrees inland but cooler near the coasts temperatures of about 11 or 12 degrees."

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I'll be taking conservative approach with target competition in 2 weeks.
    Weather and underfoot conditions are exceptional for time of year!

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭iamjenko

nerraw1111 wrote: »
    I'm sick I'm missing this.

Check out the forecast for tomorrow:

"Tomorrow Saturday will be dry and bright with good sunny spells and light southeast breeze. Afternoon temperatures of 15 or 16 degrees inland but cooler near the coasts temperatures of about 11 or 12 degrees."

Likewise. I will probably have to skip it too. Been looking forward to doing the Ultra since running the Trail last year. Will have to sit it out now though, nursing a torn muscle in my calf and have other fish to fry in May...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭nerraw1111

What a day for today's race. Was out running this morning and I was roasting in just a single layer. Best of luck to all

Twas a great day alright. All went smoothly from what I could see. Had a decent enough race finishing close in time to the last time I ran it so happy enough. Thanks to Dermot & helpers.

• Registered Users Posts: 930 ✭✭✭jeffontour

Jaysus, that was some day. The singlet is outline is burnt onto me and my legs are a little on the tender side!

Just had a mug of scald in the new mug, nice.

Great race today, brilliant organization as always with IMRA.
    Couldn't hold back to get to water station in Crone and paid for it, struggled in the heat on the way up to Prince Williams Seat but everyone around me seemed to so was able to take my punishment there.

Great weather too which is always a bonus when taking in such beautiful locations and views.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,834 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Well done all, I've been plagued with bugs and viruses for bloody ages so decided to sit this one out which is a pity as I was looking forward to it ages, it looked a great day for it.

Hey Jeff, I've no sunburn vest lines? #wearlongsleeves ;)

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,364 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Would have loved to be doing the trail today. Well done all, sounds like it was a great one as always.

• Advertisement

What colour was the mug? What were the podium results? I imagine it must have been fairly fast going?

Advertisement