Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Smash [NBC] [** Spoilers **]

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 21,634 ✭✭✭✭Richard Dower

^ i was about to give up tbh....but i decided to watch ep. 4 just to give it a final shot....glad i did as ep. 4 was by far the best yet. It was lighter and much more humour. The performance of Ivy at the party was great fun!

I 100% get your thing with Karen/Katherine....she's like this stunning looking girl...like someone you'd see in school, all smiles and polite to your face but snarky and bitchy behind your back, very up herself as well.

Dare i say...boyfriend stealer material?, getting back to the show....it has a certain cable quality to it, it's like The Playboy Club in that i feel the show is being held back and restrained due to network and censors etc.

You really don't have many likable characters, Derek and the loathesome Ellis....ugh!, we're supposed to route for Karen i guess but as you say she has this sorta irksome quality to her.

We all know what will happen soon, Ivy will get cut and Karen takes the lead as Marilynn etc., one thing i'll say...if you were expecting Glee your shiite outta luck!, it's a very different show in tone and content.

I'm not sold on the show, i think it's average....but i'm willing to give it another shot next week. The ratings are still very average, after the finals it pulled a 2.3 demo same as last week. Considering The Voice is a huge lead-in NBC has to be disappointed, considering the cost of the show and the promotion afforded to it: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/02/28/monday-final-ratings-2-broke-girls-adjusted-up-smash-castle-adjusted-down-daytona-500-final-ratings/122198/

Btw..Uma Thurman is preggers so won't be appearing on Smash....sucks for them (and their ratings)

http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/02/smash-uma-thurmans-pregnancy-means-no-marilyn-for-her.html

http://uk.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/spoiler_chat_daily_smashs_marilyn_twist/297237#ixzz1niX2X8v2

Meryl Streeps daughter: http://blog.zap2it.com/frominsidethebox/2012/02/smash-first-look-meryl-streeps-daughter-grace-gummer.html

• Registered Users Posts: 6,850 ✭✭✭FouxDaFaFa

Had to come here to rant about episode 6. I know we're supposed to be rooting for Katharine McPhee but it's hard when she shows up late to a Bar Mitzvah she's being paid to perform at, dressed inappropriately and without a clue of any traditional jewish celebration songs. Just smacked of disrespect and unprofessionalism. But of course that doesn't matter and
    she gets a meeting with a producer
    .:rolleyes:

I really liked the latest episode. I think by introducing Ivy's mother (who is phenomenally famous in Broadway terms) theyr'e cementing their appeal to that limited audience of musical theatre fans. I'd be worried about the ratings in the long-term, I don't know if people are embracing it in the States.

Also, really liking all the Marilyn parallels they're introducing with Ivy.

FouxDaFaFa wrote: »
    Had to come here to rant about episode 6. I know we're supposed to be rooting for Katharine McPhee but it's hard when she shows up late to a Bar Mitzvah she's being paid to perform at, dressed inappropriately and without a clue of any traditional jewish celebration songs. Just smacked of disrespect and unprofessionalism. But of course that doesn't matter and
    she gets a meeting with a producer
    .:rolleyes:

I really liked the latest episode. I think by introducing Ivy's mother (who is phenomenally famous in Broadway terms) theyr'e cementing their appeal to that limited audience of musical theatre fans. I'd be worried about the ratings in the long-term, I don't know if people are embracing it in the States.

Also, really liking all the Marilyn parallels they're introducing with Ivy.

I also liked ep. 7 but thought ep. 6 was stronger, i don't get the hubub about Bernadette Peters though :confused: , best part was Eileen giving that little rat Ellis the smackdown he deserves! :mad:

I loathe that little lurking creep, he's in everyones business....i hope he gets found out soon and fired, and the guy is clearly gay!....that GF is a beard!
    The workshop part was very good, but i'm tiring of the tacked on drama....especially the Julia/Michael triste.....her poor son at the end :(

I felt really angry towards Julia putting her son through that pain, for what?....sex?, she disgusted me and the thing is...Debra Messing in real life has done the same thing!!!! :mad:

Broken up a marriage, cretins! :mad:

http://tvline.com/2012/03/19/smash-recap-season-1-episode-7-the-workshop-bernadette-peters/

Smash pulled a 2.3 last night, season low: http://tvbythenumbers.zap2it.com/2012/03/20/tv-ratings-monday-dancing-with-the-stars-premieres-34-lower-but-hurts-the-voice-hawaii-five-0-edges-castle-smash-alcatraz-hit-lows/125119/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=feed&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+Tvbythenumbers+%28TVbytheNumbers%29

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

I agree Karen isnt likeable

The only characters I like are Ivy and Eileen

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    I agree Karen isnt likeable

The only characters I like are Ivy and Eileen

There is SOMETHING about McPhee that brings out the claws in other females i think, she's too self aware....if you get my meaning. She TRIES to come off all nice and sweet, but....you know a stuck up bitch is just beneath the surface.

Does that make any sense :confused:

• Advertisement

There is SOMETHING about McPhee that brings out the claws in other females i think, she's too self aware....if you get my meaning. She TRIES to come off all nice and sweet, but....you know a stuck up bitch is just beneath the surface.

Does that make any sense :confused:
    She's actually a very judgey character, not half as nice as they're trying to make her.
    Examples:
    • Finding out Ivy and Director are an item. She says "she's sleeping with him??!" in this shocked innocent voice, when it was only a few nights previous that she had gone over to his apartment late at night, stripped half naked and straddled him while singing him "Happy Birthday". FFS.
    • Her boyfriend deigning to speak to an attractive woman is the worst thing ever.
    • Coming in late to her recording session (rude in itself) she gives the scruffy guy this withering look after asking if he's Mr.X, as if to say "of course you're not, state of you".
    I just hate her!

Ivy is great. I'm loving Eileen too, she's pretty bad-ass. Richard, agree with the Julia-Michael thing, it's the only arc that bores me. Well, apart from Lurky McLurkerson.

• Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

It has been renewed for a second season :eek:

It could do with a character clear out and revamp but keep Eileen and Iny maybe get in some new writers also

JP Liz V1 wrote: »
    It has been renewed for a second season :eek:

It could do with a character clear out and revamp but keep Eileen and Iny maybe get in some new writers also
    If they got rid of Lurky McLurkerson I probably wouldn't even notice. I keep forgetting about him and then he comes on for his few creepy seconds of airtime and it's like "oh yeah...that guy".

I'm nervous about the direction of the show. The obvious route would be for Karen to be given the lead for some reason, or to switch between Ivy and her a few times so we don't know who will actually play the role. I don't think that would be particularly interesting, especially since I hate the sight of Karen. I wish they would shelve the Karen character but, she is the main character. *sigh*

Liked the latest episode, it further cemented my hatred of Karen. She's playing the naive card so much but what exactly did she think was happening
    in that warehouse? She knew they were going behind the songwriters' backs and Ivy's and she didn't give a fcuk.

The thing with Eileen's
    daughter suddenly showing up and then leaving immediately was a bit odd, maybe she was a famous person doing a cameo and I didn't recognise her?

The scene with Tom and the director was dynamite.
    It explains a lot. Stuff like a scorned director going around bad-mouthing a production or a certain person happens all the time, it's the ugly side of showbusiness.

I'm liking that they're bringing the political side of things into the mix too.

How rude was
    Lurky McLurkerson to Tom? He had given him a job and extra chances when he didn't deserve it and the thanks he gets is basically a middle finger in his direction.

Liked the latest episode, it further cemented my hatred of Karen. She's playing the naive card so much but what exactly did she think was happening
    in that warehouse? She knew they were going behind the songwriters' backs and Ivy's and she didn't give a fcuk.

The thing with Eileen's
    daughter suddenly showing up and then leaving immediately was a bit odd, maybe she was a famous person doing a cameo and I didn't recognise her?

The scene with Tom and the director was dynamite.
    It explains a lot. Stuff like a scorned director going around bad-mouthing a production or a certain person happens all the time, it's the ugly side of showbusiness.

I'm liking that they're bringing the political side of things into the mix too.

How rude was
    Lurky McLurkerson to Tom? He had given him a job and extra chances when he didn't deserve it and the thanks he gets is basically a middle finger in his direction.

Meryl Streeps daughter :cool:

Spitting image of her...didn't you cop it? :confused:

• Advertisement

^Ellis....what a cretin!, he's a climber of the worse kind, a total snake.....i still don't buy his GF, bi-sexual at most, taking ballet class?....100% gay!, loved how Eileen' daughter caught Ellis at the door.

Seems dereck is homophobic, makes sense considering his dad....wtf were Eileen and Dreck thinking with that performance?, that was Lady Gaga or Katy Perry....not musical theatre.

• Registered Users Posts: 203 ✭✭trendy88

Quiet like this show. What annoys me about it is the fact that we are supposed to be rooting for Karen-but I actually cannot stand her. Ivy on the other hand-I find much more likeable.

Also some of the personal storylines are boring. Seriously couldnt care less about Julia's son or her affair with that other guy. Not to mention Eileens divorce. Anytime the story moves from the professional aspect to the personal side of things-I feel myself tuning out.

^Ellis....what a cretin!, he's a climber of the worse kind, a total snake.....i still don't buy his GF, bi-sexual at most, taking ballet class?....100% gay!, loved how Eileen' daughter caught Ellis at the door.

Seems dereck is homophobic, makes sense considering his dad....wtf were Eileen and Dreck thinking with that performance?, that was Lady Gaga or Katy Perry....not musical theatre.

Wel well well, this news confirms my suspicions about Ellis and his sexuality, he is Bi :)

http://uk.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/spoiler_chat_daily_smash_gets/304839

Margerite in New Jersey: Ugggggh. I cannot stand the annoying assistant on Smash! Please tell me they are doing away with him and he'll get what he has coming to him!
    Um…interesting choice in words because he certainly does have something coming to him. Something naughty! Sources tell me that Ellis (Jaime Cepero) is going to be sleeping with Uma Thurman's assistant on the show. Now, who wants to guess whether the assistant is a man or a woman? Oh, we'll just tell you (since that big ol' headline up there pretty much already did): It's a maaaaannn baby! So for all of you who were shocked Ellis had a girlfriend in the first place, this might end up to be the least shocking TV twist of all time. And solid proof your gaydar is not broken. Congrats!

Read more: http://uk.eonline.com/news/watch_with_kristin/spoiler_chat_daily_smash_gets/304839#ixzz1qWKDHlqv

I agree with the above post, the production of a broadway show at this level is exciting and interesting enough without dragging all this soapy crap into it.

Ellis...what the FCUK is wrong with him? It's like he has no concept of social norms or how human interactions work. I'm not sure if we're supposed to like him and think he's a go-getter or something but he really gives me the creeps.

Felt bad for Ivy this ep. She needs to get away from that director, he's not doing her any good. Her wandering the streets in her angel outfit was pretty funny. Anyone else think her spiral has been a bit too fast?

I like seeing Tom's life, I find him so much more likeable than Julia. I'd rather see Eileen with the barman or being her badass self than constantly running into her ex.

As for Karen, I hope her ad turns out horribly. Or they cgi a new face onto her or something. Just cannot stand her.

I liked the stuff they filmed in Times Square, singing...Ivy and Karen, that was fun and very Glee. Ivy drunk was fun too, as for innocent/naive Karen....please!, she rubbed the fact that Derek wanted to sleep with her for the Marilyn part in Ivy's face...also being snooty and up herself for apparently not stooping to Ivy's level.....yet we all know she's a snake and a backstabber at heart.

I would NEVER trust a girl like Karen, the only likebale character at this stage is Tom, and possibly Eileen....everyone else is loathesome....and that Julia, urgh!, she deserved everything she got this week. Her poor hubby, not only finding out she slept with someone but that it happened in the past, something she forgot to tell him.

She's a horrible character that i cannot support, many of these characters are cable show characters, not network....the fact that it was originally pitched to cable is showing.

If it was conceived as a network show you'd never have these many unlikable characters. Uma pops in next week....lets see what she brings.

http://www.youtube.com/user/NBCSmashOfficial?feature=mhee

i am nbcofficialsmash i run the channel its been amazing ive got 3,457 subscribers in a month

i just love smash the orginal songs are amazing

nbc is a channel that get low rating with the expet for the voice 11.2 million viewers smash is nbc #1 drama its going no-where

the soundtrack is out 1st of may volume 1

Tracklist

1) “Touch Me” featuring Katharine McPhee
    2) “Stand” featuring Katharine McPhee and Leslie Odom
    3) “Who You Are” featuring Megan Hilty
    4) “Crazy Dreams” featuring Megan Hilty
    5) “Beautiful” featuring Katharine McPhee
    6) “Haven't Met You Yet” featuring Nick Jonas
    7) “Shake It Out” featuring Katharine McPhee
    8) “Brighter Than the Sun” featuring Katharine McPhee
    9) “Let Me Be Your Star” featuring Katharine McPhee and Megan Hilty
    10) “20th Century Fox Mambo” featuring Katharine McPhee
    11) “Mr & Mrs Smith” featuring Megan Hilty and Will Chase
    12) “Let’s Be Bad” featuring Megan Hilty
    13) “History Is Made At Night” featuring Megan Hilty & Will Chase

I've seen you on youtube, Bryce Lazy Cowboy. You are not employed by NBC but you comment on people's videos leading them to believe you are and offering them the "chance" to work with you on your channel. It's dishonest, you should be clearer about the fact that you are a fan and not connected in any way with NBC.

I've seen you on youtube, Bryce Lazy Cowboy. You are not employed by NBC but you comment on people's videos leading them to believe you are and offering them the "chance" to work with you on your channel. It's dishonest, you should be clearer about the fact that you are a fan and not connected in any way with NBC.

my channel was hacked about 2 weeks ago :( by some glee troll and my email aswell i had to block him/her and so he/she did this to me making false comments and adding linking to purshase song thinking that i was seeling smash music to make a profit :eek:

thankfully youtube fixed my account and he/she was banned from youtube and thinks are back to normal :D

im just a fan that uploads the music and rips the music from the episodes thats not on itunes

thankfully also my subscribers believed me

That's crazy. Sorry for accusing you, in that case. I just felt really bad for those kids he/she was duping with the outlandish comments.

Are you team Karen or Ivy? Or both? Will you help us kill Ellis?

That's crazy. Sorry for accusing you, in that case. I just felt really bad for those kids he/she was duping with the outlandish comments.

Are you team Karen or Ivy? Or both? Will you help us kill Ellis?

im team karen and yes die ellis ,ellis die

i hope more peopel start chatting aobut smash here ive favourite this page so lets keep smash chat going

• Advertisement

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/entertainmentnewsbuzz/2012/04/nbc-smash-broadway.html

Interesting article on how the show came to be on NBC, the future of the show and whether Bombshell could ever actually appear on Broadway.

I thought the latest episode was great, really funny in parts. The Bollywood number came out of nowhere (I mean, who knew Dev had it in him?) but I loved it. Eileen looked stunning going to the theatre and her new relationship is nice to watch.

The tension and sly tactics in production were really enjoyable to watch.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,609 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Loved the Bollywood - it did come out of nowhere - and the entire cast is somehow involved. Even that little sly Ellis pops in to steal something in an aladdin-esque move. I wasn't surprised Dev could sing - I imagine that some level of ability was required for all the actors. A far cry from his role in Spooks though!

So ready for Uma Thurman to leave now.

Genealogy Forum Mod

bollywood song is amazing my new fav

http://www.youtube.com/user/TheMusicofSmash?feature=mhee

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I just started watching this, Had it on my sky planner ever since the first ep :rolleyes: loved it :D

Pretty obvious Ellis poisoned Rebecca for Ivy, he's in love with her.....like crazytown stuff. Also a spoiler for the finale confirms as
    Ellis gets fired next week

Hopefully the end to that character, a loathsome little troll who ruins every episode with his weasel presence, Dev..... :rolleyes: , twat....surprised Ivy didn't rub her sleeping with Dev in Karens face, though she could be saving that for a rainy day.

My guess is Dev and Karen are done so as to setup new love interests for Karen next season, my gripe was we saw very little of the actual bloody show! :mad:

I wanted to see the songs performed ondtage with an audience, glad they didn't applaud when Marilynn died, how can you clap to that? :confused: :rolleyes:

Course that won't "sell" so they are making a new happy ending :rolleyes:

ps. i still hate fake Karen/Katherine

Season finale tonight, don't forget it has been renewed for a second season....BUT....the ratings are terrible, it pulled another 1.8 last week, it's losing a huge amount of audience from it's The Voice lead-in. Considering the amount of wonga NBC spent + the stupid early renewal me thinks NBC is sweating bullets right now.

http://insidetv.ew.com/2012/05/14/smash-midseason/

Well. That was quite the finale. I feel extremely cold-hearted, but I still hate Karen.

Are we to believe that Ivy
    killed herself at the end?

Pretty bleak. Odd return cameo from one of the Jonas Bros made me laugh.

It was strange, I didn't buy Karen at all when she was performing "Wolf" but she killed the very last song.

• Advertisement
Advertisement