Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Stupid questions

• 29-12-2008 8:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭

Ok so from my PI thread last week people might already know that I've just found out I'm pregnant. It's totally unplanned and unexpected so I have a few really stupid questions. I know nothing about pregnancy or being pregnant. I went to the doctor today but because it's xmas it was only a temp doctor and not my normal one. I'm working flat out for the next two weeks so won't be able to see my own doctor for at least 2 weeks.

Firstly if the first day of my last period was 10th Nov when's my due date? The doctor gave me a date but I had worked out a different one!!

Secondly, i'm not sick at all. I've felt a bit quesy a few days but that's it. I've read somewhere that being sick is a sign that the baby is thriving. This has me kinda worried. Do some people not experience any sickness?

All advice and help would be really appreciated. I am totally out of my depth.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,164 ✭✭✭BaRcOe

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭jinxycat

most people have different dates from their doctors so i wouldn't be too worried about that, you'll get a more accurate date closer to the time probably.

as for the sickness not eveyone experiences sickness during their pregnency, you may get it at a later stage if you do or you might not get it at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,898 ✭✭✭✭seanybiker

No such thing as a stupid question. If ya dont know the answer its not stupid. Congrats on the pregnancy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Quackles

Congratulations!

As others have said, due dates differ depending on what calculator they use. Doctors always assume a 28 day cycle and run with that.. Other calculators will tell you otherwise. There are plenty of them online! Run with the doctor's dates, that what I did (helps that it was 4 days earlier than the date I figured for myself :D).

Some people get sick, some get queasy, some fly through pregnancy. Yes, they say that sickness is a good sign, but it doesn't have to be there - I was not really sick at all with my first pregnancy, and the result of that just broke the computer santa got him right in front of my eyes ;)

Don't be afraid to ask questions, it's the only way to learn!

• Registered Users Posts: 506 ✭✭✭gowayouttadat

Ok thanks guys. The doctor said the 17th Sept but I had it worked out at the 17th Aug and so do most of the online calculators I've just used. I think he just added on extra month... opps :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 23,865 ✭✭✭✭January

There are NO stupid questions when you are pregnant!

My baby was unplanned and very unexpected also, but she is the love of my life. It'll be the same for you!

The hospital will calculate your due date from the first day of your last period... if that was November 10th then you will be due August 17th (this is calculated based on a 28 day cycle... see here http://www2.vhi.ie/topic/duedate ).

Your doctor probably already told you but there are certain foods you should stay away from when you are pregnant. There's a list here, but don't stick to it religiously... you can eat deli meats, just be careful and use your head!!

You should be taking folic acid untill 12 weeks, after 12 weeks you should start your iron tablets. Galfer is the one the hospitals recommend.

On that note, book the hospital appointment NOW! You could be waiting untill you're 20 weeks till your first visit depending on which hospital you want to attend!

If you have anymore questions, please just ask, we will all try and answer them as best as possible!!

Adrieanne

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

congrats gowayouttadat:)
    As said there's no such thing as a stupid question. First time round we're all out of our depth and to be honest most of us just figure it out as we go along anyway. Just as we think we've got the hang of one phase they move into the next big unknown and we're all in the dark again:D
    The only advice I can give is to get yourself into Easons and get yourself a book. There are loads of good informative pregnancy books and "the best friends (or is it girlfriends?) guide to pregnancy" is a good laugh.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,278 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Congrats- we're due on the same date (17th of August). I'm not sure what the story is with the differing dates- we've been given 3 or 4 different ones at this stage too- hopefully when we get our first scan done they might narrow it down a little. Apparently at this stage baby should be visible on a scan, and the heart should be beginning to beat.

Best of good luck to you on your journey- hugs from Shane and Aoife.

I'm back :)

It's amazing the things you never knew about pregnancy when you haven't been planning or expecting it!
    Is anyone else having bladder problems? I'm just going into week 8 and I'm up at least 3 times every night going to the toilet. I know it's not the nicest topic in the world but it's driving me mad. The other night I was up 6 times! Sometimes it's not even that heavy but anytime I'm lying down I feel like I need to go to the toilet.
    I just did a quick google and apparently it's common in the first trimester.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

The excellent news is it eases of in the 2nd trimester and comes back with a vengance in the 3rd. Just when getting out of bed becomes a huge effort :(
    4/5 times last night and if the head engages I can only imagine it will be worse :mad:

4 weeks left on Thursday :D

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Yes, I am going through exactly the same as you at the moment - I have to plan things to know where the nearest bathroom is!

I expected it in the last few months. Never thought it'd be something to happen early though. I used to suffer with Cistitis a bit and I was fully convinced last week I was getting a bout of it even though I haven't had it for at least two years. I suppose it's one way of preparing for the sleepless nights! What a dose though.

Bad News - if you're prone to thrush or cystitis pregnancy can play havoc.

Lovely! Don't suffer from thrush but have had a few doses of cystitis in the past. I haven't had it in over 2 years now I'd say. God I hope I don't get it back during pregnancy.

I didn't suffer from thrush either but got a horrible bout of it during pregnancy... ended up in hospital with it and all... it was that bad!

I didn't suffer from thrush either but got a horrible bout of it during pregnancy... ended up in hospital with it and all... it was that bad!

I thought pregnancy was supposed to be exciting?? :)

I'm making myself totally paranoid now. I think I'm convincing myself in my head that I have everything possible :)

Haha, whoever told you that??

Pregnancy is rewarding... I have to admit I had it easy... a couple of bleeds, a bout of thrush and some morning sickness... some women have it terrible... poor things!

I thought pregnancy was supposed to be exciting?? :)

I'm making myself totally paranoid now. I think I'm convincing myself in my head that I have everything possible :)

You have many many more weeks of obsessing to go :)

Seriously though, despite all the poxy toilet breaks try to drink lots of water to keep cystitis at bay ( you are more at risk as you've been prone to it) and eat those probiotic yogurts ( like activia) to help protect against thrush. Don't get overheated downthere too. I found wearing no knickers helps ;) . Also I know my way around all the good toilets on the north side of Dublin. If you feel you need to go, GO as soon as possible even if you've just been. My husband thinks I'm demented when we go shopping at this stage but any delay can cause irriatation that could lead to a bout of cystitis or thrush. Should have been a doc me! :cool: Prevention is the best cure :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,376 ✭✭✭metrovelvet

I had sickness in what I at the time thought was the second trimester, but given what I know now, it may very well have been the first trimester.

I had narcolepsy for a lot of the first trimester, thought I had the flu until I had a mild stroke when I saw the plus sign.

Advertisement