Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Broadband in Longwood Meath

Options
  • 22-01-2009 1:34pm
    Registered Users Posts: 19

Hi All,
    I live just outside longwood village.
    At the moment i have a Vodafone 3G modem, which in my areas is pretty crap. I think Ice Broadband also could provide me a connection but the general consensus around the boards is that they are useless?

Anyone else near my area have recommendations or advice on best broadband to go for.

Its frustrating when Eircom were telling me for 2 years that the local exchange of newtown would be DSL upgraded in Q1 2009, the last time i was told this was early Nov 08, now the new http://www.broadbandatoz.ie site is telling me that our exchange was handed over to the National Broadband Scheme (NBS)... BUT the NBS maps on Three's website are showing longwood in a Non-NBS area. What the hell is going on???

Anyone?
    Gar

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,884 ✭✭✭cgarvey

Any mention of NBS on that site is meaningless (as eircom didn't get the NBS contract). The site just says what would have been covered had they been awared it.

If Longwood has been marked as covered by Ice Broadband (or any provider, for that matter), then it won't be covered by NBS. This is one of the biggest flaws of the map. Vast areas are deemed covered by wireless providers, yet they can actually only provide, by their own admission, a fraction (a small fraction at that) those areas.

They've marked well and above what they can actually provider, so as to keep the NBS out of their alleged coverage area. A significant scam that's been allowed to happen without any checks.

• Registered Users Posts: 19 git74

Hi All, I was just talking to someone in Eircom about upgrading the longwood/newtown exchange. basically they are saying that as it currently stands our exchange is scheduled to be DSL upgraded this year, but as you all know an EIRCOM schedule means didly... so to ensure the upgrade happens everone in the longwood, ballin, cullentry, cullentra and surrounding areas should contact eircom on 1901 and register your interest for Broadband. it doesnt mean you are going to sign up with Eircom, it just gives them an indication of the number of people interested in BB in the area.

Please... MAKE THE CALL!! get our exchange upgraded!

Cheers
    Git

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

Very small exchange , sub 200 lines 2 years back but maybe it was new then.

write here

John McKeon
    Director of eircom Wholesale
    Registration Details:
    eircom Limited,
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St John's Road, Dublin 8

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭mumhaabu

Eircom are actually begining to make a move on Broadband this year and are upgrading an average of 4 exchanges a week to Broadband now, they are down to 69% penetration of PSTN lines and they now know that by enabling ADSL lines to houses they will regain lost revenues as most people have abandoned Dial-up and either do with the net at home or use it somewhere broadband can be got. These small exchanges they are beginning to upgrade will cost far less and the majority of the users will be light meaning no big backhaul costs and most will stay with Eircom net also.

Amazlingly Eircom are now full steam ahead with the roll-out in the midst of an Economic depression and are doing it to also defeat 3 for market share before they get their mobile dial-up rolled out. Falling revenues are helping this rollout and now they have to do it as most people have realised their is no point paying line rental unless you get broadband. Imagine what they could have achieved in the boom years if only a fraction of the profits were reinvested instead of being sent to Australia and lining the pockets of the ESOP and Tony O'Reilly.

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

git74 wrote: »
    ....should contact eircom on 1901 and register your interest for Broadband. it doesnt mean you are going to sign up with Eircom, it just gives them an indication of the number of people interested in BB in the area.

Please... MAKE THE CALL!! get our exchange upgraded!

Git, just thought I'd mention (to my knowledge) these calls will not be logged. Hence someone in a call centre might notice a lot of calls from your area but that's about all that would notice. Unfortunately nothing else will be triggered.

• Advertisement

fergalfrog wrote: »
    Git, just thought I'd mention (to my knowledge) these calls will not be logged. Hence someone in a call centre might notice a lot of calls from your area but that's about all that would notice. Unfortunately nothing else will be triggered.

Fergal, i was speakin to a friend (Eircom employee) who had been looking into this for me. He and a number of other Eircom and Ex-Eircom staffall said that when an exchange is reviewed for upgrade a register of interest is checked to see if there is a marketable consumer base to justify the cost involved in the upgrade. Even when you test your line for Broadband capabilities on the eircom website it tells you that your interest has been registered... now dont get me wrong, im not that naive to believe everything a website tells you, but I do believe this procedure takes place.

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    Very small exchange , sub 200 lines 2 years back but maybe it was new then.

write here

John McKeon
    Director of eircom Wholesale
    Registration Details:
    eircom Limited,
    1 Heuston South Quarter,
    St John's Road, Dublin 8

Hi SpongeBob, what is the purpose of writing to John McKeon, does he not deal with Wholesale orders only?
    Git

• Registered Users Posts: 352 ✭✭fergalfrog

I too have spoken to a number of Eircom employees from the top to the bottom of the organisation.

I think however that there are a whole bunch of other factors and it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get your exchange upgraded any sooner.

Don't get me wrong - I am totally on your side but I have done everything I can to speed up the upgrade of my own exchange (I have PM'd you with further details).

His bit of eircom owns all the exchanges and the dsl gear , thats why.

Tell us what happens willya . They are not the assholes they were 3 years ago but you still need 100 signatures who will take DSL off that exchange plus their account numbers. The same 100 signatures will work for wireless operators as they prove demand .

There is feck all proper wireless out your way either and it is flat .

If you could sort a high point you should contact these guys who are not that far away and could provide wireless.

The fastest is net1 at present , they do 6mbit down and 6mbit up .

http://www.net1.ie/coverage.php#coverage-popup#

http://www,digiweb.ie/

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/bb/

http://www.lastmile.ie/

fergalfrog wrote: »
    I too have spoken to a number of Eircom employees from the top to the bottom of the organisation.

I think however that there are a whole bunch of other factors and it is extremely unlikely you will be able to get your exchange upgraded any sooner.

Don't get me wrong - I am totally on your side but I have done everything I can to speed up the upgrade of my own exchange (I have PM'd you with further details).

Thanks for the Info Fergal, Ill keep on pushin anyway and see where i get!
    Git

• Advertisement

His bit of eircom owns all the exchanges and the dsl gear , thats why.

Tell us what happens willya . They are not the assholes they were 3 years ago but you still need 100 signatures who will take DSL off that exchange plus their account numbers. The same 100 signatures will work for wireless operators as they prove demand .

There is feck all proper wireless out your way either and it is flat .

If you could sort a high point you should contact these guys who are not that far away and could provide wireless.

The fastest is net1 at present , they do 6mbit down and 6mbit up .

http://www.net1.ie/coverage.php#coverage-popup#

http://www,digiweb.ie/

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/bb/

http://www.lastmile.ie/

Get ya!! ok, ill see if i can get a few names down and send em off to him!
    Thanks for the details!
    Ill update this post with any further details!
    Git

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laney71

GIT

I live in Oakleigh Longwood and would be more than happy to help you gather names to push Eircom. We have a residents association, so I will ask them if it is possible to put some leaflets through people's doors asking them if they are interested in getting Eircom broadband. Or, I could ask them to call 1901

What do you think is best?

Also, if a letter is best do you want to draft it and I will post it through letterboxes in my area?

Laney71 wrote: »
    GIT

I live in Oakleigh Longwood and would be more than happy to help you gather names to push Eircom. We have a residents association, so I will ask them if it is possible to put some leaflets through people's doors asking them if they are interested in getting Eircom broadband. Or, I could ask them to call 1901

What do you think is best?

Also, if a letter is best do you want to draft it and I will post it through letterboxes in my area?

Hey Laney, great i will do something up later and send it onto you, can you PM me your email address,
    Im not sure what exchange your on, you might want to check that out!
    Also if ya have a Facebook account why not join my "BRoadband for Longwood" group http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/group.php?gid=54655008185

thanks
    G

• Closed Accounts Posts: 675 ✭✭✭poindexter

posted this already in two other forums (broadband and meath)
    anyone from the area know anything about this? had 2 guys from Eircom at the door yesterday telling me they were hoping to have broadband in the area within the next month. there are a lot of problems with broadband just now, ICE being the main company and the service is brutal. these 2 were saying that they were going around the doors and seeing if they could get enough people who said they wanted it, if so what they had to do first was have phone line connected. the first bill would be a part bill of €12, and if broadband isn't in before next month is out then we can cancel and not go ahead with it, but they fully expect it to be in. i have to say this would be a relief as whats there already is shocking.
    the thing is, on the site it says there are no plans to have eircom broadband in the area for the foreseeable future, and when i call them they say the same thing.

so tell me, are the 2 guys going round the doors at it, they never got bank details or money so there's no gain for them, but what were they doing offering something that the sales team who answer phones couldn't confirm????

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 Laney71

Hi there. Actually I saw some guys laying cables out the Trim Road a few weeks back and they said it was for Broadband. Then there was an eircom van parked outside our house for a few days last week and we asked and the guy said that Eircom should be installed in the next short while as the new school needed it put in so there was a push on it.

I haven't heard anything since and I actually signed up with 3 as I really needed some form of broadband, as crap as it is. Keep me posted but haven't had anyone knocking on my door yet!!

Laney71 wrote: »
    Hi there. Actually I saw some guys laying cables out the Trim Road a few weeks back and they said it was for Broadband. Then there was an eircom van parked outside our house for a few days last week and we asked and the guy said that Eircom should be installed in the next short while as the new school needed it put in so there was a push on it.

I haven't heard anything since and I actually signed up with 3 as I really needed some form of broadband, as crap as it is. Keep me posted but haven't had anyone knocking on my door yet!!
    am in behind the luxurious Stoney's lainey and they were at my door on tues night, 7ish. they said tehy are really just looking for figures and if they get enough names they will be setting it up in next month

havent heard any news lately? just back from holiers so ill check a few EIRCOM contacts to see if theres anything stirrin!! ill post back here when i hear anything! fingers crossed hey!;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harry W

Hi There

I spoke with an eircom representative yesterday and if people are interested and missed the eircom guys then ring 1901 and state your interest.

Keep spreading the word it will make a big difference and hopefully Longwood will have a decent service.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭mint man

poindexter wrote: »
    posted this already in two other forums (broadband and meath)

hi , i had those 2 lads call and said yeah id go for it ,only to receive a bill for 30 something nearly immediately ,
    called eircom they wouldnt believe me ,about the lads story
    , the woman was so rude , done her best to make me feel stupid.

had to launch a complaint , lots of calls later ,they re not charging me and back to sq. one .but still annoyed about the womans attitude .
    anyway seems the lads were leading people astray !maybe on commission!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 Harry W

Hi Hitman

I have been in contact with eircom on 1901 and i am ringing them regularly and it would help if more people also contact their local TD or Councillor because we will be left behind if we don't push the matter.

I am using speedtest.net and use it to log the quality of service from ice or who you use. I convert mine back into excel and monitor the service.

I have interest from the researchers on Buyer beware and i will keep you posted if i hear anymore.

H

• Advertisement

mint man wrote: »
    hi , i had those 2 lads call and said yeah id go for it ,only to receive a bill for 30 something nearly immediately ,
    called eircom they wouldnt believe me ,about the lads story
    , the woman was so rude , done her best to make me feel stupid.

had to launch a complaint , lots of calls later ,they re not charging me and back to sq. one .but still annoyed about the womans attitude .
    anyway seems the lads were leading people astray !maybe on commission!
    i sent a letter off to eircom telling them they were a disgrace in the way they had staff going round doors misleading people. i also received teh same bill for 30odd euro, i sent it back to eircom and told them they won't be receiving a penny from me and i trust this is the end of the matter
    Harry W wrote: »
    Hi Hitman

I have been in contact with eircom on 1901 and i am ringing them regularly and it would help if more people also contact their local TD or Councillor because we will be left behind if we don't push the matter.

I am using speedtest.net and use it to log the quality of service from ice or who you use. I convert mine back into excel and monitor the service.

I have interest from the researchers on Buyer beware and i will keep you posted if i hear anymore.

H
    who is the local councillor for Longwood??

i received a message in facebook group called 'broadband for longwood' saying that Eircom would finally be coming to Longwood in mid Sept. can anyone confirm this??

the sender said something about checking with Eircom to see what exchange would be used

i sent a letter off to eircom telling them they were a disgrace in the way they had staff going round doors misleading people. i also received teh same bill for 30odd euro, i sent it back to eircom and told them they won't be receiving a penny from me and i trust this is the end of the matter

i though the matter was settled on my account , got another bill today,was previously told account was canceled ,,im bulling all evening

i received a message in facebook group called 'broadband for longwood' saying that Eircom would finally be coming to Longwood in mid Sept. can anyone confirm this??

the sender said something about checking with Eircom to see what exchange would be used

Hi Poindexter, i own the facebook group 'broadband for longwood', just to let you know i live in the longwood area, i dont work for eircom or any other Broadband company, or have anything to do with eircom for that matter. The info i put on the group page or send out is merely info from phonecalls or emails with Eircom. I cant say that everything EIRCOM tells me is fact, but its the best i can do to get the word about.

I spoke with EIRCOM again on Monday and they still say that the exchange I am on (NEWTOWN) will defintely be upgraded by the end of the month. i live about 1.5 miles from Longwood Village, dont know why im on the NEWTOWN exchange but I got it confirmed by a friend who works as a telecom engineer in EIRCOM.

Fingers crossed we all get connection soon!
    Git

git74 wrote: »
    Hi Poindexter, i own the facebook group 'broadband for longwood', just to let you know i live in the longwood area, i dont work for eircom or any other Broadband company, or have anything to do with eircom for that matter. The info i put on the group page or send out is merely info from phonecalls or emails with Eircom. I cant say that everything EIRCOM tells me is fact, but its the best i can do to get the word about.

I spoke with EIRCOM again on Monday and they still say that the exchange I am on (NEWTOWN) will defintely be upgraded by the end of the month. i live about 1.5 miles from Longwood Village, dont know why im on the NEWTOWN exchange but I got it confirmed by a friend who works as a telecom engineer in EIRCOM.

Fingers crossed we all get connection soon!
    Git
    still plodding by here with 3. Eircom don't seem to have any plans to install broadband here yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

Don't waste your time registering your interest with Eircom at this point. They are saying point blank that responsibility for that exchange has been handed over to the NBS (What they mean is the area, not the physical exchange).

This means if ICE is not bought out, the only option for Longwood is Three - And that means emails and web pages and that is about it.

Imagine WiMax is considering the area but you need to register your interest. (They are faster and less expensive than ICE and have customer service)

Unlike ICE, THEY ANSWER THEIR PHONES!

Call 1890 929 007

Go to Sales and let them know you are interested. (You don't have to give any other details/commitment)

Here is the site although you are better to call, then to register online:
    http://www.imagine.ie/wimax_broadband.html

Here's the facebook page again for Broadband in Longwood - Encourage others to register their interest.
    http://www.facebook.com/?sk=23618316...id=54655008185

thanks , i rang there and registered my interest,girl (very nice) said they could possibly put mast between longwood and enfield if they get enough interest.
    but defo wont be before august as they already have plans done up till then.

Try these guys, they have a good reputation and cover Longwood now.

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/broadband-coverage/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40 JasonR16

thanks , i rang there and registered my interest,girl (very nice) said they could possibly put mast between longwood and enfield if they get enough interest.
    but defo wont be before august as they already have plans done up till then.

At least they don't say "we are planning for next month and never deliver" - Thanks for registering your interest and fingers crossed

Try these guys, they have a good reputation and cover Longwood now.

http://www.bounce-broadband.com/broadband-coverage/

THanks for that, always great to have options.

To be honest though, after having a look at their site I would only use them in an extreme situation (Like our ICE connection went down and it was announced they and/or the equipment definately weren't being bought)

This is for two reasons

1.) Their install charge is prohibitive at nearly 200 Euro. I would think the installer would take you out to dinner for that price. If they were to go out of business it would be a costly mistake (50-75 euro is fair plus a required 12-18 month contract ... smart business is offering free install for say 24 months)

2.) They charge you €30 to see if you can use their service - only refundable if you then use them. Again, it makes way more sense for you to commit to a contract. If you can use the service, off to the races. If not, the contract is void and no money changes hand.

Nevermind 512K and a 24:1 contention being a broadband package - At least their advanced is comparable to many wireless basic packages which I could live with.

To Sponge Bob, thanks for at least letting us know about them - Much appreciated....I just think we deserve reasonable broadband in this day and age.

• Advertisement

Ask them for a "reference site" in Longwood and chat to the customer before you commit.

Ice used a mix bag of gear (not all Motorola IIRC) and a successor company may selectively abandon parts of the network if they cannot operate the gear or if the gear were leased and taken back.

Furthermore the pole and cable to it would account for a lot of the labour in an install and they may play ball on a lower install charge...especially if you ordered 5 connections and eveyone had a pole and cable in situ .

So go Haggle!!!

Advertisement