Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How can I get into college without my LC?

Options
  • 17-09-2013 1:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 2

I'm 17 years od, in 6th year and wanting to drop out. I have my reasons.

What I want to find out is, that are my able to get into college without doing my leaving cert? and if so how?

Please no need for comments saying I should stay in school and that I will regret it etc. Just want to get into a course and not waste more time in school.

Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,845 ✭✭✭Noccy_Mondy

Don't really know if you can to be honest, and if you can i'm sure the courses available are VERY limited. After 23 though, you can get into any course you want, as a mature student, if that's any help.

Sure you're not going to "waste" any more time in school, you cant get into college until sept 2014 at the earliest?

• Registered Users Posts: 2 Doubled2kaii10

The thing is, I have a big problem in the school im going to, and there's no spaces left in the school I wanted to get inroled into, so ill have to wait till next year.

So I thought instead of waiting till next year to do my leaving, I could go straight into a course I wanted starting next September? I hope I find a way.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭EuropeanSon

I'm 17 years od, in 6th year and wanting to drop out. I have my reasons.

What I want to find out is, that are my able to get into college without doing my leaving cert? and if so how?

Please no need for comments saying I should stay in school and that I will regret it etc. Just want to get into a course and not waste more time in school.

Thanks.
    Short answer is, you almost certainly can't do that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

Don't really know if you can to be honest, and if you can i'm sure the courses available are VERY limited. After 23 though, you can get into any course you want, as a mature student, if that's any help.

Sure you're not going to "waste" any more time in school, you cant get into college until sept 2014 at the earliest?

You can go to college in the UK as a mature student once you reach the age of 21. They'd want to know what you'd been up to, were you a motivated individual. I know several people that failed their leaving, took that route and now have Degrees. One is actually lecturing in the UK.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,111 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Some PLC courses will take you without a Leaving, though in most cases you'd have to have completed part of sixth year.
    From there, you can get your Level 5 and depending on the subject area, there are entry routes to college.
    Or, as others have said, there's the mature student option in a few years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

spurious wrote: »
    Some PLC courses will take you without a Leaving, though in most cases you'd have to have completed part of sixth year.
    From there, you can get your Level 5 and depending on the subject area, there are entry routes to college.
    Or, as others have said, there's the mature student option in a few years.

exactly this. there is not a large choice of plc's that will take you without the leaving
    I know you said not to be all you should stay etc.. but whatever way you end up going plc/mature student it will all take just as long or longer than simply doing the leaving!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

The thing is, I have a big problem in the school im going to, and there's no spaces left in the school I wanted to get inroled into, so ill have to wait till next year.

So I thought instead of waiting till next year to do my leaving, I could go straight into a course I wanted starting next September? I hope I find a way.

Thanks.

No, there is no simple route. Regardless of the siutation in your school why would you be afforded a direct route into college without any indication of academic ability when everyone else has to produce qualifications to do the same? And don't you think if such a route was available that everyone would be trying it?

You can
    A) do the Leaving Cert and go to college the traditional route or

B) do a one year PLC course this year and apply to enter college through the CAO for September 2014 with those results. I have had students come through the PLC course I co-ordinate that have not done the Leaving Cert and seen them progress to college through that route. However you will more than likely need to include a maths module as part of the PLC course and you will have to start looking today to see if a PLC college will accept you as courses will have started in the last couple of weeks and they could be full or not want to accept you without a Leaving Cert.

The bottom line is without Leaving Cert/PLC under your belt this year you won't get within an ass' roar of a college next year.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,166 ✭✭✭enda1

You can do the leaving cert OP without staying in school. They are separate things and you can find an exam centre that will take you for the exams. Now passing them, that's another thing...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,461 ✭✭✭dobman88

DO NOT drop out. I dropped out in 5th year and it is my biggest regret. You only have a few months left, get your head down and study for the LC. The course you want will be easier to get with a LC, every course would be easier to get.

Your other option is, drop out and start drawing the dole ASAP, have a great time like that for a few weeks until all your friends go to college and all of a sudden your left behind, not having any fun and with no job. And I am not taking a pop at you but the spelling in your posts is horrific so you could do with staying in school and college a while longer.

You will have way more options available to you when you finish college than you do if you drop out now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Onthe3rdDay

dobman88 wrote: »
    DO NOT drop out. I dropped out in 5th year and it is my biggest regret. You only have a few months left, get your head down and study for the LC.

You have plenty of options...once you turn 21 or 23 as a mature student. However before then dropping out would be a bad idea, unless you're a hugely motivated individual with a solid plan.

You want to do a course after you leave school, but almost all courses need the Leaving Cert. It would be better to do the leaving this year and then look at your options.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

So I thought instead of waiting till next year to do my leaving, I could go straight into a course I wanted starting next September?
    No.

As pointed out, there are alternative routes, but none of them involve not doing the LC and going "straight into a course (you) wanted starting next September".

Sure if it was that easy, why would anyone bother doing the frigging LC in the first place?

It's not like the LC is anyone's idea of a barrel of laughs, like.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,635 CMod ✭✭✭✭Ravelleman

There is no way to go directly into a university course at your age without a Leaving Cert. Even as a mature student (23+) there is a quite rigorous entry process with interviews and sometimes access programme courses. In your case this is not an option.

You should try to address the problem in your school. If there is a guidance counselor available in your school or school district you should speak to them as soon as you can. The way entry into college works is something that you really need to grasp or else you'll end up doing nothing. From your posts, OP, it seems that you don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,779 ✭✭✭Spunge

Stay on the dole till your'e 24.

Congratulations. You are now eligible to enter as a mature student.
    Also you are eligible for BTEA, which means not only is college free, you're getting paid to go, and, you can get a masters too, all paid for, while you still get dole payments every week straight into your bank account.

Greatest country in the world

Advertisement