Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Does your car have to be taxed for an nct?

• 03-08-2013 11:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭

Does your car have to be taxed for an nct??

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

no (as long as you take it on trailer of course) :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,976 ✭✭✭Barr

As corktina said.

The NCT and tax are not related.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

No, it doesn't have to be taxed for the NCT.

If the car is not taxed, you can have it on the road to bring it to the NCT. And to bring it to get repaired after that NCT.

If you need to get it repaired before NCT, it has to be on the back of a trailer, and not on the back of a tow rope.

The practicalities are that a guard is now more heavily obligated following the last round of public service negotiations to give it to you in the neck if you are caught.

The process is becoming more independent and double checked, with a view towards stamping out ole Garda Tom waving people on.

It's more robust now.

They want the tax money more than ever.

And I can tell ya, it was one thing meeting a p!ssed off guard last year. Try meeting one now after the kick in the stones they got with wages and work conditions

I don't agree. It's an offence not to display a tax disc.

corktina wrote: »
    I don't agree. It's an offence not to display a tax disc.

Read the road traffic act and associated legislation. There's a nice big basttard of a book by Riobard Pierse out in the world if you wish to consult also.

It's solid settled law.

• Advertisement

show me so.
    The only thing I know is the regulations on driving to and from an NCT and/or associated repairs, which relate t the NCT disc NOT the tax disc.
    It is an offence not to display a tax disc and a separate offense not to have a vehicle taxed.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,532 ✭✭✭JohnBoy26

corktina wrote: »
    show me so.
    The only thing I know is the regulations on driving to and from an NCT and/or associated repairs, which relate t the NCT disc NOT the tax disc.
    It is an offence not to display a tax disc and a separate offense not to have a vehicle taxed.
    but sure if your vehicle is declared off the road it's usually because it isn't taxed. Here is the text from motortax.ie

Q15. What if I’m due to have an NCT while my car is off the road?
    A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    ◦to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
    The same rules apply to roadworthiness testing for commercial vehicles.
    If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

I'm on my mobile, but will do later cortina, just for reference, might be useful to other readers

• Registered Users Posts: 16,088 ✭✭✭✭CiniO

JohnBoy26 wrote: »
    but sure if your vehicle is declared off the road it's usually because it isn't taxed. Here is the text from motortax.ie

A15. A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration in two cases: ◦to bring it to and from a test centre for the test; or
    ◦to bring it for repair after a re-test, or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.
    If you are bringing the vehicle to a test centre or to or from repairs after a test failure, it would be advisable to carry a copy of the appointment for the test or re-test with you.

I've seen that Q&A on motortax website, but couldn't find any relevant law.

Hope someone can point it out.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,776 ✭✭✭faolteam

ouch

• Advertisement

CiniO wrote: »
    I've seen that Q&A on motortax website, but couldn't find any relevant law.

Hope someone can point it out.
    It seems pretty clear to me. If your car is declared off the road it has to be untaxed. As in my post above motortax.ie outlines that you can take a declared off the road car(which has to be untaxed) for an NCT provided you have an appointment. It's works the same way for a re-test and for the repair of a vehicle.

I don't know what relevant law you are looking for as it's all there in black and white on motortax.ie.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

are they more leniant towards not having your nct than the tax.?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

◦to bring it for repair after a re-test
    , or back to where you are keeping it while it is off the road after the repairs. This option may only be used where an appointment has already been made for a re-test.

The bolded part above must be a mistake. Surely they mean before a re-test ?

Duiske wrote: »
    The bolded part above must be a mistake. Surely they mean before a re-test ?
    Yes indeed, that seems to be a misprint however it's not incorrect as long as you have an appointment made to take it for repair.

It seems pretty clear to me. If your car is declared off the road it has to be untaxed. As in my post above motortax.ie outlines that you can take a declared off the road car(which has to be untaxed) for an NCT provided you have an appointment. It's works the same way for a re-test and for the repair of a vehicle.

I don't know what relevant law you are looking for as it's all there in black and white on motortax.ie.

Fact that something is black and white on some website, doesn't necesserily mean it's correct.

I never heard about leeway allowing to drive untaxed car for NCT. In FAQ mentioned above I first heard of it.
    I looked up the legislation which introduced all those motor tax declaration changes, and there isn't a word in regards driving untaxed for NCT.
    I'm pretty familiar with other motortax legislations, and none of them mention this.

That's why I have serious doubts if that information from motortax website is correct.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,740 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

CiniO wrote: »
    Fact that something is black and white on some website, doesn't necesserily mean it's correct.

I never heard about leeway allowing to drive untaxed car for NCT. In FAQ mentioned above I first heard of it.
    I looked up the legislation which introduced all those motor tax declaration changes, and there isn't a word in regards driving untaxed for NCT.
    I'm pretty familiar with other motortax legislations, and none of them mention this.

That's why I have serious doubts if that information from motortax website is correct.

Doesn't matter if it's incorrect. If the State publish it as-is for the benefit of the public then you have a reasonable defence if you need it (say in a subsequent court case ) that you acted in good faith on information provided by the authorities responsible.

But there's no linkage between tax & NCT.

And no, expect no leniency for driving without NCT or at least an appointment for one to hand.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

galwaytt wrote: »
    Doesn't matter if it's incorrect. If the State publish it as-is for the benefit of the public then you have a reasonable defence if you need it (say in a subsequent court case ) that you acted in good faith on information provided by the authorities responsible.

Are you sure it works like that?
    You think I could defend myself in court basing on fact that motortax website said so, even though there was no ground in law for doing that (driving untaxed for nct) ?

How do you imagine it the other way?
    F.e. ROTR and other RSA leaflets say that you can't use the most right lane on motortway when driving a bus (so i.e. on 2 lane motorways you can't overtake).
    This is purely wrong, as there is no law prohibiting usage of most right lane on motorways for buses.

So now imagine I'm caught driving a bus on most right lane, and case ends up in court.
    Could they prosecute me, just basing on fact that state published leaflets and books said I was not allowed to do it, even though no law prohibits doing it?

But there's no linkage between tax & NCT.

And no, expect no leniency for driving without NCT or at least an appointment for one to hand.

Since I owned my first car in Ireland, there was not a single day that any of my cars was out of NCT.

EDIT - sorry there was, but not of my fault and I couldn't do anything about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

If something is published on any government documentation (be it a website, booklet etc) then if its wrong and you follow it I dont see how you dont think it would be a reasonable defense in court? Its not like you are putting faith in Wikipedia.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭hi5

Page 2, 10th paragraph down...

http://www.environ.ie/en/Legislation/LocalGovernment/LocalGovernmentAdministration/FileDownLoad,32738,en.pdf

A vehicle may be used during the period of a non-use declaration
    solely for the purposes of bringing to or from a test centre or bringing
    it to or from a premises for repair where an appointment has been
    made with an authorised tester subsequent to the repairs being
    carried out (subsection 6 of section 20B).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭downonthefarm

think they not pushed bout nct but you can get sticklers for the tax

• Advertisement
Advertisement